Assessments of the Final 53

pzummo

Our depth on the OL is close to what we thought it would be. Baker, Blalock, McClure, Dahl, and Weiner round out the line. I know Clabo shows as the starter at RT but I'm not sure that's going to stick. So you have Clabo, Wilkerson, Ojinnaka, and Stepanovich as backups. Stepanovich and Wilkerson can play Center or Guard. Clabo can play either Tackle or Guard spots. Ojinnaka can play either tackle spots. So essentially, we have 2 backups that can play LT/RT, 2 that can play Center, and 3 that can play Guard. Our depth is a lot better when you take this into consideration.

Think about it this way, if we do have an injury to either Guard or Tackle spot, Clabo goes in. I don't see much of a dropoff there, Clabo is solid as a starter. If we have a second injury at G or T, Ojinnaka comes in. If we have a 3rd injury, it would go to Wilkerson. The only concern would be if we lost 2 Tackles, but that could be said at almost ANY position on the team.

Tony Taylor is also slotted as the starting MLB. I think Lofton might get the nod by the time the first game comes around.

A note on Finneran, he has looked great, but I am VERY surprised he has moved up the depth chart to 2nd behind Jenkins and AHEAD of Laurent Robinson!!!!

Is Milner really our backup Long Snapper?

Congrat's to Shockley making the team! I didn't think it would happen after the first 3 preseason games.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Biermann will see more snaps than any other 3rd stringer on the roster! I was really surprised Fraser is ahead of him on the depth chart. He must be much better against the rush.

Last but not least, Stone must've been the hardest decision for the coaches to make on these roster cuts. I'd be willing to bet the coaches spent quite a bit of time seeing where they could squeeze him in and ultimately just decided they couldn't afford to lose depth at any other position. I also think Harris' and DeCoud's versatility to play either Safety spots are why they won the backup positions over him.

Thoughts?

was anyone else surprised that rashad moore got cut? i hadnt heard a lot about him, but i was a little surprised to see him released i guess. im just not wild about tim anderson at all, and i would have liked to see moore behind grady until trey lewis is ready to come back. i suppose that when lewis gets back anderson will get the axe? at least i hope he will.

Our depth on the OL is close to what we thought it would be. Baker, Blalock, McClure, Dahl, and Weiner round out the line. I know Clabo shows as the starter at RT but I'm not sure that's going to stick. So you have Clabo, Wilkerson, Ojinnaka, and Stepanovich as backups. Stepanovich and Wilkerson can play Center or Guard. Clabo can play either Tackle or Guard spots. Ojinnaka can play either tackle spots. So essentially, we have 2 backups that can play LT/RT, 2 that can play Center, and 3 that can play Guard. Our depth is a lot better when you take this into consideration.

Think about it this way, if we do have an injury to either Guard or Tackle spot, Clabo goes in. I don't see much of a dropoff there, Clabo is solid as a starter. If we have a second injury at G or T, Ojinnaka comes in. If we have a 3rd injury, it would go to Wilkerson. The only concern would be if we lost 2 Tackles, but that could be said at almost ANY position on the team.

Tony Taylor is also slotted as the starting MLB. I think Lofton might get the nod by the time the first game comes around.

A note on Finneran, he has looked great, but I am VERY surprised he has moved up the depth chart to 2nd behind Jenkins and AHEAD of Laurent Robinson!!!!

Is Milner really our backup Long Snapper?

Congrat's to Shockley making the team! I didn't think it would happen after the first 3 preseason games.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Biermann will see more snaps than any other 3rd stringer on the roster! I was really surprised Fraser is ahead of him on the depth chart. He must be much better against the rush.

Last but not least, Stone must've been the hardest decision for the coaches to make on these roster cuts. I'd be willing to bet the coaches spent quite a bit of time seeing where they could squeeze him in and ultimately just decided they couldn't afford to lose depth at any other position. I also think Harris' and DeCoud's versatility to play either Safety spots are why they won the backup positions over him.

Thoughts?

I think Robinson and Bierman move up the chart soon , Robinson when he stays healthy, and Bierman when he gets some more playing time.

I'm not as sold on Ojinnaka as a quality back-up as you are- seemed like i heard his name alot during games- that's not good for an Olineman.

I'm happy for shock too- I hope he develops into another Schaub that gets this team extra draft picks.

Isn't Stone eligible for PS?

I think Robinson and Bierman move up the chart soon , Robinson when he stays healthy, and Bierman when he gets some more playing time.

I'm not as sold on Ojinnaka as a quality back-up as you are- seemed like i heard his name alot during games- that's not good for an Olineman.

I'm happy for shock too- I hope he develops into another Schaub that gets this team extra draft picks.

Isn't Stone eligible for PS?

I can definitely see Robinson moving up the depth chart early on. I think they are going to get Biermann a lot of play time in passing situations. I think he will see the field more than most backups on our roster. That being said, since he is so undersized, I think the coaches will be hesitant to move him up the depth chart because of a fear he might wear down or not hold up against the rush. I have been impressed with his play even against the rush, and it looks like he has the heart/motor for it, I just question whether or not at 240lbs if he would have this same impact playing every down.

I'm not sold as Ojinnaka as a quality back-up. I'm not sold on many 3rd string players at any position. That's why I said, my only concern is if we lose 2 OT's. If we lose either OT, Clabo comes in. If we lose a 2nd, I have concerns.

Don't know about Stone's PS eligibility, would be great if he is though.

was anyone else surprised that rashad moore got cut? i hadnt heard a lot about him, but i was a little surprised to see him released i guess. im just not wild about tim anderson at all, and i would have liked to see moore behind grady until trey lewis is ready to come back. i suppose that when lewis gets back anderson will get the axe? at least i hope he will.

Guys, don't forget, the Falcons will establish their 9-man practice squad tomorrow. This can be a combination of anyone cut and/or cuys from other teams! ;)

because he sucked. He was just big for nothing, he was being pushed around like he was small. Defeated the purpose of a big body.

I disagree about the safeties of course. DeCoud hasn't shown the tackling ability of a SS and i've seen alot of passes completed around him in coverage. and Harris hasn't shown he can play PERIOD. Of course the coaches know more than me but I think it was something else like,something mental about Stone.

I'm glad Finneran is starting, he's not really a burner but he is reliable and should serve as a consistent target that can bail Ryan out since he can physically dominate DBs with his height.

I believe Finn is the #4 receiver, with douglas being #3

There's a lot of common sense here, but there's some surprises also.

1) Big surprise for me is that we actually kept 6 WRs. We've been unwilling to do that the past few years, and I, like many on this board, believed the position battle was between Jennings and Finneran. Both guys performed quite well in that important third preseason game and it was tough to decide between the two. With both these guys (because I still believe Robinson and Douglas will be more involved with the offense than Finneran) it's important to remember that the special teams impact is why they are here. Since both guys can make a special teams impact, they both stick.

2) Putting Thomas Brown on IR removed one of the tougher decisions between he and Snelling. Still, I'm somewhat surprised at having 5 backs. Turner/Mughelli/Norwood/McIntyre are all no-brainers, but it will be interesting to see if there's any need for a 5th body there. Snelling doesn't have much of a role on special teams for us so he might be a guy that doesn't stick through the season. One thing, though-Brown being placed on IR means we'll almost certainly see a lot of Norwood with the Kick Return unit.

3) Cutting Daren Stone is a puzzle to me. It seems like he has a nose for the football when he's on the field, and he's a really athletic kid to have come out of the 6th round, and out of a I-AA school. I suspect this might be a message related to his DUI charge, but the time to send that message was over a month ago. Harris will have an impact on special teams, but I dearly hope he doesn't go out there on defense. If anyone has gone up to Flowery Branch for camp the past two years, it's likely that you saw Harris taken to school during 1-on-1 DB/WR drills.

4) Congrats to Shockley. This might have been my biggest surprised of all. I was certain Harrington would be the man since he has an easier time impressing in camp situations. He has an accurate arm and can make the throws when he isn't rushed. When Harrington was cut and subsequently resigned, I was sure it was a sign that he'd stick on the roster for us.

5) The posted depth chart on this site is still a mystery to me, and I suspect it's not accurate-or maybe the coaches are going to simply pay lip service to it. Several question marks. Is Tony Taylor starting at MIKE? And surely Biermann will see the field more than Fraser as a situational pass rusher. Is Clabo actually the starting RT (I hope so) ? Is Finneran ahead of Robinson in the WR picture? And is Nicholas really the back-up SAM?

Last but not least, Stone must've been the hardest decision for the coaches to make on these roster cuts. I'd be willing to bet the coaches spent quite a bit of time seeing where they could squeeze him in and ultimately just decided they couldn't afford to lose depth at any other position.

everybody keeps saying that they are shocked he didn't make the team, but the guy is just a physical specimen who became a You Tube darling among the posters on this MB. I admit I was sucked in also.

But, let's face it, he just jumped over a car.

He's a big thumper on special teams, but in limited action last year, he didn't show much in coverage on defense. In the last preseason game, he was beaten on one or two pass plays. We are playing it tight in terms of depth in the secondary. Our back-ups need to be more than car jumping special teams aces...

Also, the DUI didn't help. I thought he would have been gone immediately after that.