The trendy thing to do...

iloxygenil

Watching the game so far last night the first couple of drives I saw a few things out of Anderson I've never seen before. He was beating the **** out of the offensive lineman he was going against, every time he was using his hands, I didn't know he knew how to do that. He forced hurried throws twice so far, both on 3rd down. He's not there yet, but he's improving, and this week was the biggest improvement to me so far. No, he didn't get a sack like week 1, but he played better.

You can say he was in ninja mode, but you were wrong, he was actually flashing on the screen, at first I wasn't looking for him, then I realized who it was so I rewound the plays a few times and started watching him specifically. He would do the E.Honda 100 hand slap thing, pretty impressive because with each blow he made room into the backfield, I'm used to him hitting the OL on the initial pop and going nowhere. It wasn't just against 1 guy either, one was a guard, one was a tackle and I think the Center tried to mix it up with him once.

So you guys give Anderson way too much unwarranted hate. The kid is learning, and learning QUITE fast. I'm not going to say he's the next Michael Strahan, but I like how quickly he's learning under the new coaching staff. We'll see 5-6 sacks or so out of him this year. Next year I think will be his breakout year.

Another play I saw is he got stuffed, the entire line did, trying to get inside, he ran around the edge of the pocket and got penetration, it showed me just how agile he is, because he really did get up and around the corner from the UT position very VERY well. I was impressed, he'll have to do it earlier next time to get to the QB, but he did get a line to the QB without anyone in between. He's still not a John Abraham in terms of quickness and burst, but I was loving how quick he was getting off the snap, especially from that UT position.

I'm pretty excited, because if he steps up and gets some pressure on the QB this year when we're only rushing 3 or 4 (which he did tonight) and is able to force people to not just focus on Abe...our DL will be VASTLY better than I was thinking it would be at the beginning of the year. Moorehead and Grady are great in rotation together. Anderson is the key though, because if he starts to develop as a pass rush threat, it takes more pressure off the middle because they have to worry about sliding protection to Abe, but can't forget about JA, like they have in the past, making our entire defense much more of a threat than before. The more the OL has to deal with our DL the better our run defense will be, because we have some fast flow LBs who are ready to stop the run.

I have note plays where he has shown that he will be a much better pass rusher than last year and most posters only wanted to say he did not get the sack and that Beerman got 2 or 3 sacks. Beerman is primarily a pass rusher in the beginning and not very good at all against the run. Andersons main jib last year was to stuff the run on his side and he did a good job of that. This year he has more freedom to take the lane that the OT gives him and just go after the QB instead of waiting to make sure there is no run first. His pressure caused the INT by DeCoud in the last game.

People tend to forget that Anderson has not been a defensive end for very long. He was a WR his first year of college. How many players go from WR to DE? He has to learn a completely different set of skills, and he's learning them in the NFL at the highest level of competition. Some patience is in order.

OMG, a positive Jamaal thread? Don't you know you're supposed to say he looks slow, fat, and lazy, plus he's the biggest first round draft pick bust in over 100 years?

/sarcasm off

I've been thinking the same thing iloxygenil, but arguing this in TATF is like trying to empty a ocean with a bucket. Pointless, and pretty much impossible. -_-

Give him a chance - everyone gets a bye for last season.

I think he will improve over the next 2 years - but he may be a slow development due to inexperience at the position and last years staff.

I do believe Beerman will get some playing time this year because he IS so good at pass rushing. And if he gets more sacks than Anderson - that STILL does not make Anderson a bust.

I see Anderson as ideal LDE.. Good at playing the run... ok at pass rush. He has a lot of room to improve on pass rush.

Beerman - he could be our Justin Tuck. Someone that could play either end on passing downs to create pressure. We are not as bad as people make us out to be on pass rushing.

Did that OL man he was up against have cheeseburgers in his hands?

KIDDING, KIDDING.... Sheezh lighten up....

I will say this, though. He needs to show us something this year. The main thing I've wanted to see out of the whole team is improvement, and I hold him to no less than that standard. But I want him to improve enough to be dominant by NEXT season. Asking too much still?