A thought I had about our penalties on defense

ltstorm1

I was driving home today and I started to think about our defense and some of the pshycological advantages we may gain before the first snap even takes place.

So far this preseason I have seen a bunch of ball hawks and head hunters. Our secondary has been playing very tight coverage and are knocking passes down and picking some off in especially opportune times. If we keep this up or get even better, we will be known for that and may affect how a QB performs especially if some of his passes are getting tipped or picked early in a game.

Then comes the head hunter portion. For the last 5 years i'd say, we would never hit any player hard. It was always tackle the shoe strings with our players. Bryan Scott was the last player I can remember from the secondary that would bring the wood.

This year we have a bunch of head hunters out there from the linebackers on back. Its looking like Milloy gets his water from the fountain of youth because he is bringing it.

Now how many times is Lofton or any of our LB's going to have to lay out a running back or receiver coming over the middle before the arms start to shorten up, or to look around for a Falcon before they have the ball secured.

Or a safety seperating receiver from ball on a pass downfield.

Eventually if we continue to be the head hunters and ball hawks that we have shown this pre season, ball carriers are going to already have that "fear" in their mind even before they step onto the field. Then if the ball carrier does get lit up, mentally they might be out of the game.

The whole unii also seems to be tackling much better.

Flame away. LOL

Oh and I re thought how I was going to type this after I made the header. HA

Scott never hit anyone. Crocker laid more wood here than Scott did. The only one that got a decent pop in once in a while was Carpenter, and after that Philly playoff game, that was about the last wood laying that's been done in Atlanta. Once in a while, Kerney and Smith (I think it was) could really flatten a QB when they caught him from both sides. But for a real hitter, you have to go all the way back to Case and Tuggle.

celtik

Scott never hit anyone. Crocker laid more wood here than Scott did. The only one that got a decent pop in once in a while was Carpenter, and after that Philly playoff game, that was about the last wood laying that's been done in Atlanta. Once in a while, Kerney and Smith (I think it was) could really flatten a QB when they caught him from both sides. But for a real hitter, you have to go all the way back to Case and Tuggle.

celtik

How could I forget about Keion. And about Case and Tuggle, thats what I mean we havn't had anyone in a long time to put any kind of fear in opponents. Kerney and Smith I don't think were really feared unless your name is Bulger.