An Oppositions View

Happy Mondays

Ok so each week I thought it would be interesting to find out what the oppositions fans thought of the upcoming games, so first of are the Detroit fans from www.thelionsfanatics.com

I asked them 5 simple questions

1) What will the outcome of the game be?

2) Which player should we fear most?

3) Which player do you fear most?

4) What record do you think you will finish with this season?

5) What record do you think the falcons will finish with this season?

and here are the reply's

user:Calamnet 1) 24-13 Detroit

2) Calvin Johnson/Roy Williams

3) Michael Turner

4) 8-8

5) 5-11

user:Orlovsky's#1Fan 1) I really won't judge the game untill the last preseason game is over to make sure our team remains healthy.

2) Our WR's

3) Turner & brooking (love that guy), anderson and abraham if they decide to bring it and we'll see if i made a mistake on Lofton.

4) 9-7

5) 6 or 7 wins depending how Ryan does.

user:TimT 1) 30-13 Detroit

2) Calvin Johnson

3) Michael Turner

4) 9-7

5) 4-12

user:TexasLionsFan 1) 23-10 Detroit

2) Jon Kitna- Because of all the recievers he has to throw to.

3) Matt Ryan - Because basically we know nothing about him, if he is really good he could catch us off guard and put up some good numbers.

4) 9-7 maybe 10-6 if we can finally win at Lambeau field

5) 4-12 to 7-9, all depending on Matt Ryan and his abilities as an NFL QB.

and heres the final reply from a lightly more negative thinking Lion

user:Hal9k

I'm a... well lets just say I've been forced to grow up watching the Lions.

-The Lions do not have a running game. Just prevent them from getting any yards on the ground on the first couple attempts and they'll quickly give up and become 1 dimensional. The Lions are putting their entire season on 3rd round pick rookie Kevin Smith to carry the team. There's no way it'll happen, and it's completely unfair to him. Once he falters, or gets injured, they have no one - AND I MEAN NO ONE - who can run the ball effectively backing him up.

-The Lions biggest threat to you is our QB Kitna (who is deceivingly accurate and tough, and capable of throwing 25 yd passes consistently), Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson. I can't stress how good the WR's are, they're freaks. Jumping through the air and catching the ball one handed behind the back between defenders is a normal play to them. If they were on any other team they'd probably both have Superbowl rings by now. Yes, they are that good. Like I said though, just stop the Lions pathetic run attempts and you can cover these guys thoroughly. Then Kitna will start throwing INT's.

-The Lions O-line is putrid. It's bad. Worst in the league bad.

-The Lions secondary is suspect. It was bad last year and has really only gained one good player. Attack it.

-A huge deal with the Lions right now is their teamwork (which may make them appear to be better than they are). They're a bunch of misfits with little to no expectation who've been jelling really well throughout the off season with a grumpy old coach. I don't see this team taking rests on plays and giving up at the end of the 3rd quarter like the typical Lions team. The Falcons are going to have to play them until the game is called.

I've been seeing a lot of disrespect spread about the Falcons this preseason. I know you can be good though because you've got ownership that cares and an exciting rookie QB to test. My biggest disappointment right now is that Joey won't be able to toss 3 TD's in a game against his old team again.

Win this game Falconsfan. Remind the Lions organization and the people of Detroit what losers they have for a football team! Some day if I'm lucky enough, the team will be sold to an owner who actually cares about football and we can meet again under more competitive circumstances... until then, GO FALCONS!!!

Well thats it I should be doing this with opponets fans every week,

Well like the lions we have more than our share of growing pains to go through this season.

Our running game can be deadly and all our backs are capable of springing a big play.

rb is a solid position for us. Key for lions will be stopping them.

Our oline is just as suspect and questionable. Did great in preseason but that was then.

if ryan gets on fire passing early and gets in a rythem he could be dangerous. Our wr core is very talented. We are very solid in depth at wr.

we are very soild at LB as well.

Our cb`s are suspect as well

Our d-line is a question for us.

The key to the lions winning is stopping 3rd downs and getting 2 turn overs and at least getting field goals out of them, If they lions can get turn overs and points early then it will force us to climb uphill and we wont be able to rely on the rb`s to milk the clock. We are not likely to get in a shoot out but if we go down 10 early we might not rely on the run the way we should. Ifwe dont have a pass rush then kitna might have a great day vs our young secondary.

Key for us winning is special teams. We need some good returns and not give ryan 90 yards to go down field. Dont make the silly penalties we did in preseason. If our special teams keeps us in good scoring position we will be hard to stop. We also need a pass rush to keep kitna honest and take some load off our young cb`s.

Ok, I guess my MTV generation mind just likes shorter reads.

I hope to see next weeks opposition view.

And I would like to add, Kitna + Pressure = INT. Saw it first hand in Cincinnati, and last year in Det.

I think some guy (Mora Jr.) used to say passing yards were a useless stat.

I think he was watching Kitna when he said that.

and heres the final reply from a lightly more negative thinking Lion

user:Hal9k

I'm a... well lets just say I've been forced to grow up watching the Lions.

-The Lions do not have a running game. Just prevent them from getting any yards on the ground on the first couple attempts and they'll quickly give up and become 1 dimensional. The Lions are putting their entire season on 3rd round pick rookie Kevin Smith to carry the team. There's no way it'll happen, and it's completely unfair to him. Once he falters, or gets injured, they have no one - AND I MEAN NO ONE - who can run the ball effectively backing him up.

-The Lions biggest threat to you is our QB Kitna (who is deceivingly accurate and tough, and capable of throwing 25 yd passes consistently), Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson. I can't stress how good the WR's are, they're freaks. Jumping through the air and catching the ball one handed behind the back between defenders is a normal play to them. If they were on any other team they'd probably both have Superbowl rings by now. Yes, they are that good. Like I said though, just stop the Lions pathetic run attempts and you can cover these guys thoroughly. Then Kitna will start throwing INT's.

-The Lions O-line is putrid. It's bad. Worst in the league bad.

-The Lions secondary is suspect. It was bad last year and has really only gained one good player. Attack it.

-A huge deal with the Lions right now is their teamwork (which may make them appear to be better than they are). They're a bunch of misfits with little to no expectation who've been jelling really well throughout the off season with a grumpy old coach. I don't see this team taking rests on plays and giving up at the end of the 3rd quarter like the typical Lions team. The Falcons are going to have to play them until the game is called.

I've been seeing a lot of disrespect spread about the Falcons this preseason. I know you can be good though because you've got ownership that cares and an exciting rookie QB to test. My biggest disappointment right now is that Joey won't be able to toss 3 TD's in a game against his old team again.

Win this game Falconsfan. Remind the Lions organization and the people of Detroit what losers they have for a football team! Some day if I'm lucky enough, the team will be sold to an owner who actually cares about football and we can meet again under more competitive circumstances... until then, GO FALCONS!!!

Well thats it I should be doing this with opponets fans every week,

This last guy is channeling ATL-75

Interesting, yet not surprising.

I'm hoping (actually, I'm pretty close to being sure) that Abe and Bierman can get pressure on Kitna. I've seen him play too many times before and he pretty much follows the same script.

He's like Harrington when you start getting hits on him.

that last guy was a little depressing almost.

i think the lions have an edge on us, but i obviously think we can beat them. if we can stop the run and make them one dimensional (like that guy mentioned) it should make things interesting as far as bringing pressure to get to kitna. if we can rattle him and take advantage of their average offensive line (if that) we should be able to force some turnovers. i think using beirman at LE, anderson at DT and abraham at RE could be a very good way to bring some pressure on passing downs or in passing situations. all 3 have gotten pressure in those scenarios during preseason.