Ramadan Begins Monday

womfalcs3

29 to 30 days of daily fasting. Not only abstinence from food, but also from sex, cursing, and other acts. A month of emphasis on giving to the poor, and becoming spiritually cleansed.

Starts labor day this year. Of course Ramadan is extra awesome with family, but I haven't had the pleasure of breaking fast with family since I was 12. The extended family would gather at my late great grandfather's home in Saudi on a daily basis, and we would all break fast together. Afterward we would lay back, have some tea and talk about whatever. Us kids would go outside and play in the front yard. We would mainly play soccer or cops/crooks.

Then why do it?

Good thing the book doesn't say "eat your own poop."

Or does it?

It's funny what instilling a little fear in people will make them do.

I guarantee you that I could brainwash people into believing that I'm the son of God and tell them that the true path to salvation is in their feces, and they would all be eating bowl fulls of it for breakfast.

People are stupid like that.

It's funny what instilling a little fear in people will make them do.

I guarantee you that I could brainwash people into believing that I'm the son of God and tell them that the true path to salvation is in their feces, and they would all be eating bowl fulls of it for breakfast.

People are stupid like that.

And I thought I was cynical.

Don't trip on someones religious beliefs...rip on their political views !

29 to 30 days of daily fasting. Not only abstinence from food, but also from sex, cursing, and other acts. A month of emphasis on giving to the poor, and becoming spiritually cleansed.

Starts labor day this year. Of course Ramadan is extra awesome with family, but I haven't had the pleasure of breaking fast with family since I was 12. The extended family would gather at my late great grandfather's home in Saudi on a daily basis, and we would all break fast together. Afterward we would lay back, have some tea and talk about whatever. Us kids would go outside and play in the front yard. We would mainly play soccer or cops/crooks.

I wish I had that will power, man. 30 days..whew..more power to ya.

I think all religious belief aside thats a pretty cool thing to do.

I could never do that for 30 days. I once went out into the woods with some friends and basically fasted and lived with bare essentials for a week, and although that was a little more intense in just a week I just wanted to go home, eat a giant steak, watch a football game, and makeout with a girl all at the same time.

Then why do it?

Good thing the book doesn't say "eat your own poop."

Or does it?

Why do it?

In Islam, every practice is seen from two perspectives: one, from the religious perspective (obviously). And secondly, from a SOCIAL perspective. Do you know why it is said that Muslims must pray five times a day? Because, according to Islam -- immoral and criminal actions are rooted not in human nature but in forgetfulness. If one prays that often (and is truly genuine, of course, in his/her faith), then they will be less likely to commit immoral acts. It's like mathematics. Of course everything makes sense when the professor explains it, but if you take the test without doing the practice problems then you are likely to fail.

Now -- do you know why there are specific TIMES for prayer? Because when the entire community is gathered at one place and time -- man, woman, rich, poor, everyone -- all submitting to the will of God, it ingrains the idea (into the minds of the people) that they are all the same. It's one thing to TALK about equality and egalitarianism. But this is playing out in practice in order to make it more real.

The same applies to fasting. As you probably know, in Islam there is a practice of giving zakat (a certain percent of your wealth or income to charity). While necessary, this does not bridge the social gap between rich and poor. The rich are still detached from the suffering of the poor. However, with the practice of fasting, the rich experience suffering (albeit a watered down version). This will make them give with CONVICTION, rather than just giving because it is a social convention.

I am fortunate enough to never have gone hungry in my life. However, since I started fasting when I was 11, I have thought about those people every day. Altering individuals' consciousness is the first step (if you want to accept the logic used by the prophet) for a society to rid itself of social problems.

Something to think about before just going out insulting people's beliefs based on nothing more than your personal prejudices.

BTW womfalcs when does it start in N America? Also Monday?

I wish I had that will power, man. 30 days..whew..more power to ya.

You do have the will power

These are just psychological limits set by people, they are a false consciousness

Fasting from sunrise to sunset for 30 days is nothing compared to what many people (people just like you or me) endure on a daily basis.

Sounds like you miss your family.

If nothing else Ramadan might be a great way to lose wight provided you don't totally gorge yourself when your done. You guys already can't drink but can you still smoke? might help you take the edge off.

That's part of ramadan?

What's the big whoop? Sounds like a summer trip to my granny's house. Her cooking was horrible, there were NO girls anywhere, and if you said so much as H-E-L-L, you got a whisk broom-smack in the mug. As far as that "giving to the poor", we WERE the poor.

So....I guess Islam and me aren't such strangers after all.

Both are intellectual decisions - and deserve equal criticism.

Rarely are they intellectual decisions, but rather the decisions of habit. We do what we are taught. Plus what good does it do to argue what someone's faith is. That just shows how intellectually void some people are. Faith is about not needing proof to believe.

That's part of ramadan?

What's the big whoop? Sounds like a summer trip to my granny's house. Her cooking was horrible, there were NO girls anywhere, and if you said so much as H-E-L-L, you got a whisk broom-smack in the mug. As far as that "giving to the poor", we WERE the poor.

So....I guess Islam and me aren't such strangers after all.

The gathering aspect of Ramadan was mainly traditional. I don't break fast with family anymore. I usually do it alone.

I'll go back to those days once I go back to Saudi. My Dad's siblings always get together, and I love being around them.

It's of course a lot easier to fast when everybody around you is doing it. It helps not seeing people eating around you, or engaging in acts that you may be weak to resist at the moment, etc.. When I was in elementary school, we would get the entire month of Ramadan off. I don't think they do that anymore, but this year, Ramadan comes right in the summer break. That makes it a lot easier.

Why do it?

In Islam, every practice is seen from two perspectives: one, from the religious perspective (obviously). And secondly, from a SOCIAL perspective. Do you know why it is said that Muslims must pray five times a day? Because, according to Islam -- immoral and criminal actions are rooted not in human nature but in forgetfulness. If one prays that often (and is truly genuine, of course, in his/her faith), then they will be less likely to commit immoral acts. It's like mathematics. Of course everything makes sense when the professor explains it, but if you take the test without doing the practice problems then you are likely to fail.

Now -- do you know why there are specific TIMES for prayer? Because when the entire community is gathered at one place and time -- man, woman, rich, poor, everyone -- all submitting to the will of God, it ingrains the idea (into the minds of the people) that they are all the same. It's one thing to TALK about equality and egalitarianism. But this is playing out in practice in order to make it more real.

The same applies to fasting. As you probably know, in Islam there is a practice of giving zakat (a certain percent of your wealth or income to charity). While necessary, this does not bridge the social gap between rich and poor. The rich are still detached from the suffering of the poor. However, with the practice of fasting, the rich experience suffering (albeit a watered down version). This will make them give with CONVICTION, rather than just giving because it is a social convention.

I am fortunate enough to never have gone hungry in my life. However, since I started fasting when I was 11, I have thought about those people every day. Altering individuals' consciousness is the first step (if you want to accept the logic used by the prophet) for a society to rid itself of social problems.

Something to think about before just going out insulting people's beliefs based on nothing more than your personal prejudices.

BTW womfalcs when does it start in N America? Also Monday?

Thank you for the background. As I was reading your post, I was struck by the similarities of many religious disciplines. I am a Catholic and I observe days of fasting and reflection as well. Just like the Muslims, these practices apply to rich and poor. The Catholic institution has been much maligned in recent years, but its doctrines and disciplines are rooted in similar basic principles that your religion advances. I seek to convert no one. Catholics and Muslims have plenty of examples of "practitioners" perverting their religion to fit worldly agendas. So long as your intentions are sincere and peaceful, I support and honor your journey.

The Catholic religion has been the most scrutinized and criticized religion on earth. This is so for two good reasons: it has a history of corruption and it has sought to impose its beliefs on the world. The criticism is deserved but should not cancel its fundamental merit. Sincere practitioners should always be respected and even admired. It is astonishing that we all adhere to our beliefs and deny that the Almighty may have created different paths to include all of his children. In the spirit of acceptance of G-d's will, I respect you for your observance of Ramadan. Have a happy and fruitful Ramadan.

Sounds like when I was broke and didn't have a girlfriend....except for the cursing part.

Rarely are they intellectual decisions, but rather the decisions of habit. We do what we are taught. Plus what good does it do to argue what someone's faith is. That just shows how intellectually void some people are. Faith is about not needing proof to believe.

Brilliant article on the subject: Viruses of the mind

A nice reading for our Muslim friends during lunch time... (Of course, not limited to Muslims, but obviously, they'll have more time to read it...)