This Blackout stuff

atljbo

I dont get it.... I've seen almost every preseason game that has happen...... The Packers game is the only game that I've seen soldout..... All the rest of the games had almost half of the stadium empty......So why are we the only team to get blacked out........ I dont get that

Games are only blaked out in their local area.

I know... I have friends that goes to school in other states...... The teams out there has not had a blackout and all the stadiums are equally empty...... I just dont like the fact that our franchise QB first start was a blackout game...... thats not good business

I know... I have friends that goes to school in other states...... The teams out there has not had a blackout and all the stadiums are equally empty...... I just dont like the fact that our franchise QB first start was a blackout game...... thats not good business

well luckily it was only a preseason game and he threw a pick

it doesnt need to be fully sold out,

i think it needs to be 75% sold outt.

and sometimes, someone will just buy the remainer to hit that minimum.

like if its only 60 percent sold out, arthur blank might buy the rest of hte 15 percent

Actually, it does have to be 100 percent sold out. The stadiums you see are likely just suffering from no-shows. Since season ticket packages across the league include season tickets, games get sold out. People just don't show up at preseason games... across the league. I've seen it everywhere I've worked.

Actually, it does have to be 100 percent sold out. The stadiums you see are likely just suffering from no-shows. Since season ticket packages across the league include season tickets, games get sold out. People just don't show up at preseason games... across the league. I've seen it everywhere I've worked.

Gotta love the misinformation that floats around here... thanks JMM! B)

thanks

Blackouts are an idea past their usefulness.

Completely disagree. In this information age, it is more important than ever. Too much is available to be seen and the NFL need teams to have as full of attendance as possible to maintain cash flow.

The fans mostly just want something for nothing.

I dont get it.... I've seen almost every preseason game that has happen...... The Packers game is the only game that I've seen soldout..... All the rest of the games had almost half of the stadium empty......So why are we the only team to get blacked out........ I dont get that

me either

I would like to see revenue figures from attendance vs TV.

Stadium revenue stays with the owners while tv revenue is shared throughout the league - by blacking out a game on TV the NFL helps the owner to draw people to the stadium to see the game - any funds earned at the stadium stay in-house with the owner & vendors working the stadium and is not subject to be shared with the rest of the league.

Completely disagree. In this information age, it is more important than ever. Too much is available to be seen and the NFL need teams to have as full of attendance as possible to maintain cash flow.

The fans mostly just want something for nothing.

If anything the information age is more reason why the NFL shouldn't be blacking out games. There are so many new mediums and markets that are opening up and the NFL needs to exploit them. Blacking out games is just holding themselves back in the age of new media.

Also, not showing games of teams that don't sell out isn't a way to increase interest in that team. Show the game. Increase your fan base. Bury them in Falcons media and they'll want to go to the games. Look at the effect the increased TV exposure of TBS had on the Braves. Blackouts just seem like a greedy, old owners rule that's holding back the NFL.

Stadium revenue stays with the owners while tv revenue is shared throughout the league - by blacking out a game on TV the NFL helps the owner to draw people to the stadium to see the game - any funds earned at the stadium stay in-house with the owner & vendors working the stadium and is not subject to be shared with the rest of the league.

I wonder how much more TV contracts would be worth without the threat of a blackout. Also I wonder how much of an effect blackouts have. How many more tickets are sold because a fan is afraid of not seeing the game at all.

I wonder how much more TV contracts would be worth without the threat of a blackout. Also I wonder how much of an effect blackouts have. How many more tickets are sold because a fan is afraid of not seeing the game at all.

TV contracts are still going to be strong regardless of local team blackouts or not because the NFL still provides a service by contract by showing a game between other NFL teams when the local team is blacked out. NFL is the #1 sporting event in the US and it sells itself every Sunday and a 75 mile radius blackout around a couple of cities doesn't hurt those TV contracts because the advertisers are still being advertised on the #1 event of that day. 99% of fans in blackout areas are still going to watch an NFL game regardless if their team is blacked out or not. Blackouts only work to draw in local buisness to the stadium - owners make a majority of their personal money from stadium revenues either from ticket sales or from vendor sales within the stadium. If owners could not make money inside the stadium then you would either have NFL teams moving all the time as owners would then have to resort to moving their team to another area that may be looking for an NFL team to play in or alot of owners would just opt out of a buisness venture that is losing them money and if the NFL became a negative-profit commodity then no new owners would come in as old owners left and the league would be faced with the possibility of reducing the number of teams in the league. Though the latter is a worst case scenario it is a very plausible one as it happens in the regular buisness world everyday. The owners provide the team and the venue to see the team - if the local community won't support the team and the owner begins to suffer from a money pit then his options are to either move to a better suited area or sell the team. But what happens if no one wants to buy something that doesn't promise the likelyhood of profit?

TV contracts are still going to be strong regardless of local team blackouts or not because the NFL still provides a service by contract by showing a game between other NFL teams when the local team is blacked out. NFL is the #1 sporting event in the US and it sells itself every Sunday and a 75 mile radius blackout around a couple of cities doesn't hurt those TV contracts because the advertisers are still being advertised on the #1 event of that day. 99% of fans in blackout areas are still going to watch an NFL game regardless if their team is blacked out or not. Blackouts only work to draw in local buisness to the stadium - owners make a majority of their personal money from stadium revenues either from ticket sales or from vendor sales within the stadium. If owners could not make money inside the stadium then you would either have NFL teams moving all the time as owners would then have to resort to moving their team to another area that may be looking for an NFL team to play in or alot of owners would just opt out of a buisness venture that is losing them money and if the NFL became a negative-profit commodity then no new owners would come in as old owners left and the league would be faced with the possibility of reducing the number of teams in the league. Though the latter is a worst case scenario it is a very plausible one as it happens in the regular buisness world everyday. The owners provide the team and the venue to see the team - if the local community won't support the team and the owner begins to suffer from a money pit then his options are to either move to a better suited area or sell the team. But what happens if no one wants to buy something that doesn't promise the likelyhood of profit?

A 75 mile zone around all of the major population centers of the US is a pretty large number of people. In Atlanta that's about 4 million people (of the 9.5 million that live in Georgia). You would think that if the NFL were to offer TV contracts without threatening to blackout millions upon millions around the country, they could up the prices.

Are there any studies to show that blackouts are even effective? More blackouts mean less exposure of your team to people who live in your area. It's hard to jazz up a lagging fanbase when your fans can't watch half the games. Are they really able to sell enough tickets to offset the ones they lose from the fans they lose in not televising the games?

Blackouts sound like owners wanting something outside the organization to blame when ticket sales lag. They can say to themselves, "We'd sell out but people are content to sit at home and watch." They blame TV instead of looking at why the fans aren't excited about your team. If fans are excited they're going to show up. I'm a huge Braves fan and eventhough I can watch all the Braves games I want on TV, I still try to go to as many games as I can afford. But if the Braves weren't on TV half the time I doubt I'd even be a Braves fan.

A 75 mile zone around all of the major population centers of the US is a pretty large number of people. In Atlanta that's about 4 million people (of the 9.5 million that live in Georgia). You would think that if the NFL were to offer TV contracts without threatening to blackout millions upon millions around the country, they could up the prices.

Are there any studies to show that blackouts are even effective? More blackouts mean less exposure of your team to people who live in your area. It's hard to jazz up a lagging fanbase when your fans can't watch half the games. Are they really able to sell enough tickets to offset the ones they lose from the fans they lose in not televising the games?

Blackouts sound like owners wanting something outside the organization to blame when ticket sales lag. They can say to themselves, "We'd sell out but people are content to sit at home and watch." They blame TV instead of looking at why the fans aren't excited about your team. If fans are excited they're going to show up. I'm a huge Braves fan and eventhough I can watch all the Braves games I want on TV, I still try to go to as many games as I can afford. But if the Braves weren't on TV half the time I doubt I'd even be a Braves fan.

Even if the game is blacked out there will still be an NFL game on the television in the black out area just not the local team - money earned from TV revenue most does not go into owner's pockets - it's the money that usually is used for everything from player contracts to team equipment and facility upkeeps - 90% of owner money is earned in the stadium if everyone stays home to watch the game then how can the owner make money? Blackouts is a double edged sword - Sucks for the local fans within the 75 mile radius - but a plus for the owners who reap the benefits from local people coming to the stadium to see a game not televised locally.

As for the Braves they are owned by Ted Turner and most Braves games are shown on Turner Broadcasting Networks (Which is still controlled by Ted Turner after the Turner/Time Warner merger) - it is easy to show your team on TV all the time when you also own the networks that show them. ;)

Even if the game is blacked out there will still be an NFL game on the television in the black out area just not the local team - money earned from TV revenue most does not go into owner's pockets - it's the money that usually is used for everything from player contracts to team equipment and facility upkeeps - 90% of owner money is earned in the stadium if everyone stays home to watch the game then how can the owner make money? Blackouts is a double edged sword - Sucks for the local fans within the 75 mile radius - but a plus for the owners who reap the benefits from local people coming to the stadium to see a game not televised locally.

As for the Braves they are owned by Ted Turner and most Braves games are shown on Turner Broadcasting Networks (Which is still controlled by Ted Turner after the Turner/Time Warner merger) - it is easy to show your team on TV all the time when you also own the networks that show them. ;)

Braves used to be owned by Ted Turner. Not anymore. And Turner no longer is involved in Time Warner.

But no matter who owns them, Braves fans can easily stay connected to their team because they can watch them on TV. When your fans are connected they're going to go to more games. If the Braves only showed half their games then it would be a lot harder to stay involved. I just wonder if blackouts don't do more harm than good. Sure you coerce some fans into going to the games but how many potential fans do you lose because they never get into your team because they don't see them enough? If any team needs more exposure its teams that are struggling to fill their stadium.

Braves used to be owned by Ted Turner. Not anymore. And Turner no longer is involved in Time Warner.

But no matter who owns them, Braves fans can easily stay connected to their team because they can watch them on TV. When your fans are connected they're going to go to more games. If the Braves only showed half their games then it would be a lot harder to stay involved. I just wonder if blackouts don't do more harm than good. Sure you coerce some fans into going to the games but how many potential fans do you lose because they never get into your team because they don't see them enough? If any team needs more exposure its teams that are struggling to fill their stadium.

The major differance is that the Braves play mainly on cable TV networks while the NFL plays on Network TV - totally different animals.

And yeah I forgot that the Braves were sold to Liberty Media but Liberty was once a major stock owner in Time Warner and gave up alot of those shares to maintain the Braves broadcast on Turner Broadcasting channels. 2007 was the last year for the Braves to appear on TBS however.

Network TV and Cable TV are two totally different entities and operate differently from each other.

The major differance is that the Braves play mainly on cable TV networks while the NFL plays on Network TV - totally different animals.

And yeah I forgot that the Braves were sold to Liberty Media but Liberty was once a major stock owner in Time Warner and gave up alot of those shares to maintain the Braves broadcast on Turner Broadcasting channels. 2007 was the last year for the Braves to appear on TBS however.

Network TV and Cable TV are two totally different entities and operate differently from each other.

I don't think the differences really matter in determining if blackouts are effective. My basic point is that blackouts eat away at your fanbase. They may turn out more diehard fans but they erode at base as a whole.