Sam Baker > Jake Long?

ProtoType

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've read, Jake Long has been disappointing so far. But give him time, he'll be a beast I'm sure. Parcells knows linemen.

no doubt about that, I think he will turn it around faster then R.Gallery but I think we done the right move in getting Sam Baker imo.

I have to admit, I haven't watched a SINGLE SNAP of the Dolphins pre-season. So it is completely impossible for me to know which one is performing better thus far. That being said, we have accumulated 200 more yards this preseason. We avg 0.6 yards more per play, 1.3 more yards per rush, and 0.3 more yards per pass. We also have a better TOP. So overall, I'd say our OL is outperforming their OL. But without watching Long like a hawk, impossible to tell, although Baker has been nothing short of outstanding thus far.

From what I have read, Long is mauling in the running game, but struggling in pass protection.

Pretty much what was expected around here from him.

He will get it together w/ Sparano in his grill. I agree though Ryan & Baker look like a better combo than Long & Henne. But both Long and Henne will probably be pretty good.

From what I have read, Long is mauling in the running game, but struggling in pass protection.

Pretty much what was expected around here from him.

He will get it together w/ Sparano in his grill. I agree though Ryan & Baker look like a better combo than Long & Henne. But both Long and Henne will probably be pretty good.

The play where I say he got owned, was a running play. The DE set up far on the outside, Long thought he was smart and jumped outside on the snap allowing the DE to scoot right inside him without touching him. The DE then proceeded to tackle the RB for about a five yard loss. But that is the only play I saw him do badly on, I only watched like 10 minutes and happened to catch that though.

They're still deciding if Long is better at LT or RT from what I heard...and we have found that he is a very good run blocker according to some posts in Pure Football.

I agree. These other guys are talkin about Sam Baker though talking about is he a better LT or RT.

I still think he may move to RT. The Falcons just have no other option at LT and that's mainly why he's there.

You better believe that if he plays like he has been playing/protecting, he will NOT move from the LT position. LT is the most imporant position holding the QBs back side so why would we move Sam Baker uga2006?? If its the most important potision on the line, and your rookie first rounder is doin a great job there why would we move him?

I have to admit, I haven't watched a SINGLE SNAP of the Dolphins pre-season. So it is completely impossible for me to know which one is performing better thus far. That being said, we have accumulated 200 more yards this preseason. We avg 0.6 yards more per play, 1.3 more yards per rush, and 0.3 more yards per pass. We also have a better TOP. So overall, I'd say our OL is outperforming their OL. But without watching Long like a hawk, impossible to tell, although Baker has been nothing short of outstanding thus far.

Miami played against defensive 'powerhouse' Kansas City and their DE was making Long look pretty bad on occasions. Long's footwork didn't look too good in pass protection but I will say that he did create some serious running lanes for Ricky Williams last weekend. Right now I'd say that Baker looks like the better overall pick between the two as he's given our QBs great pass protection and he has done a good job in the running game although just a bit short of what Long is doing for the Dolphins in that part of the game. In the passing game, newly acquired Dophins QB Chad Pennington has been pressured big time!

The play where I say he got owned, was a running play. The DE set up far on the outside, Long thought he was smart and jumped outside on the snap allowing the DE to scoot right inside him without touching him. The DE then proceeded to tackle the RB for about a five yard loss. But that is the only play I saw him do badly on, I only watched like 10 minutes and happened to catch that though.

he will have growing pains for sure. He had problems w speed rushers in MICH, and all NFL DEs are speed rushers in comparison.

He *should* be able to get it figured out though.

Experience is invaluable in the NFL. Now whether or not he makes that mistake AGAIN is how I would judge him. With him biting on it on film, other DEs will be doing the same until he proves he can pick up on it.

I have no doubts that Ryan is MUCH better than Henne, but would be so fast to crown Baker over Long as a better OT yet.

Ha Ha Parcells, you try to use us as a pawn and you might end up getting pwned!! I really hope Baker/Ryan shine so much more than Henne/Long. Make TD look genius and expose Parcells for what he really is, old and delusional.

yes of course, a proven NFL coach in Parcells is an idiot. He got along for that many years, won multiple SB's, devleoped a ******** number of highly successful NFL coaches, and he's an idiot.

excellent logic, well done.

Yeah, Sparano has no love for Henne either. They had him miked on NFL Network. He told Henne, "Four years at Michigan and all you learned was the fight song."

You couldn't be more wrong. You are basing how Sparano feels about Henne on that?

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football...ory/661348.html

Miami Dolphins coach shows tough love to QB Henne

Coach Tony Sparano has been tough on rookie Chad Henne despite the QB's steady play -- further indication of the new regime's high standards.

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

Nearly two weeks ago, upon the Dolphins' return to South Florida after a preseason victory in Jacksonville, coach Tony Sparano and rookie quarterback Chad Henne were chatting about some corrections Henne planned to make after a still-solid performance.

''What did I yell at you for?'' Sparano said.

Henne paused, taking a moment to reflect on the nearly three quarters he had played.

''Which time?'' he said, joking.

During that particular showing -- which included three Henne-led drives resulting in field goals -- Henne estimates Sparano met him at the sideline with a harsh scolding at least twice. Through the entire preseason, the total probably is up to six or seven.

These aren't just quick shoulder shrugs that would suggest Sparano is annoyed. These are verbal thrashings, full of all the body language that would suggest Henne had just handed the ball to a defender on the final drive of the Super Bowl.

Welcome to the tough-love relationship between a coach and his new quarterback-in-training, a player Sparano believes has the potential to become the face of this team.

''Some coaches are like that,'' said Henne, who said he appreciates the purpose of the loud lectures much more after the fact than he does during the moment. ``Some coaches have a player on the team they think has potential, and they get after them.''

Henne, no doubt, has become that player in Sparano's eyes.

MORE TO COME

See for yourself. Although Chad Pennington will start Thursday night's final exhibition game against the New Orleans Saints, Henne is likely to get some decent playing time again, and the loud lessons surely will resume.

''Man, he does get after him!'' linebacker Channing Crowder said. ``I just noticed it last game [against the Kansas City Chiefs], actually. You can see Coach Sparano's head and his neck bobbing all over the place, yelling at him loud as can be.

``And the funny thing is, I thought [Henne] had a pretty nice drive. I was cheering on the offense, and I thought Henne did a good job. Then Coach Sparano just lets him have it!''

Some players don't take well to the approach. Others, such as wide receiver Greg Camarillo, said it took him some time to get used to Sparano's criticism, since he never had dealt with it before. Now he has learned to embrace it.

Henne, though, isn't just any player. First, he is on offense, which is Sparano's expertise. Second, he is a rookie with loads of potential, and Sparano sees it. And, finally, he is a quarterback -- so he will need to have some tough skin.

''Coach Sparano gives a lot of people crap,'' Camarillo said. ``But, I mean, when you're a starting quarterback, you need to know that you're going to get praise when the team does well, and you're going to catch a lot of crap when it doesn't go well.

``[Henne] takes it in stride.''

Actually, if Henne wasn't hearing an earful every time he left the field, he should be concerned. Make no mistake, Henne has become one of Sparano's prized players.

TOUGH ENOUGH

One of Henne's best qualities has been his toughness and swagger, which makes his relationship with Sparano so strong.

Perhaps that is why, to spectators watching it unfold, the scoldings are becoming more entertaining than intimidating. Consider Saturday night against Kansas City, when Henne threw an interception when the Dolphins were 2 yards short of a touchdown.

''Oh, yeah, he was going berserk,'' Henne said. ``We were in the red zone, and we're not supposed to turn the ball over there [especially].

``We had three points in the pocket, and I threw the ball a little too flat. Not to mention, we had adjusted that earlier in the week.''

Henne doesn't often talk as Sparano tees off on him, instead walking past him toward quarterbacks coach David Lee. But Henne still listens to Sparano because he always has a point.

Sparano also has a bigger point beneath the yelling. He wants his players to strive for perfection, even if it's during the preseason, and even if Henne is making more big plays than bad ones.

''If we make it tough in practice and we make it tough in these preseason games, then, when we get to the games, it becomes just a little bit easier,'' he said.

Henne isn't complaining, either. And, as Sparano pointed out, if Henne believes he's hearing it often, he should go talk to his former college teammate and current left tackle. He would realize these scoldings are soft in comparison.

''If the quarterback thinks that's hard,'' Sparano said, ``then [he] should live in Jake Long's shoes.''