Forecast Kind To Obama, Hurricane Could Slam Bush

1968again

Forecast kind to Obama, hurricane could slam Bush

By Klaus Marre

Posted: 08/27/08 12:17 PM [ET]

The weather in Denver is expected to be pleasant for Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) on Thursday, while storm clouds brewing over the Gulf of Mexico could spell trouble for Republicans, who begin their convention in Minneapolis next week.

Convention weather is not normally much of a concern, but this year is different.

A conservative group has called on its supporters to pray for rain during Obama's outdoor acceptance speech at Invesco Field.

“I’m talking-umbrellas-ain't-gonna-help-you rain,” Focus on the Family’s Stuart Shepard said in a video posted on the Internet. “Not flood-people-out-of-their-houses rain, just good ol' swamp-the-intersection rain...network-cameras-can’t-see-the podium rain.”

The video, which Shepard reportedly said was “mildly” funny, has been pulled after the group received complaints about it and the fact the group's prayers haven't been answered.

According to weather.com, there is a zero percent chance of rain Thursday night.

However, Republicans might have their own weather problems.

Tropical Storm Gustav is gathering strength and is predicted to soon become a hurricane. As it moves over warm water, it is expected to gather strength quickly over the coming days and it could become the first major hurricane in the Gulf since 2005.

The National Hurricane Center (NHC) predicts that Gustav will make landfall at some time Monday, the day Republicans begin their convention in Minneapolis. Furthermore, the NHC projects that the hurricane will hit Louisiana, not far from where Hurricane Katrina slammed into the coast.

President Bush is scheduled to address the GOP convention on Monday and the hurricane hitting the coast that day will likely highlight a major blunder of Bush’s administration –- the botched response to Katrina.

Following the disaster, which claimed the lives of nearly 1,500 people, displaced a million residents and caused tens of billions in damages, Bush said that “to the extent the federal government didn’t fully do its job right, I take responsibility.”

Democrats have often pointed to the federal response to Katrina to highlight what they believe was the Bush administration’s incompetence, and it is likely that they will do so again next week.

Margie Perez, a New Orleans jazz singer, addressed the convention on Monday while former President Jimmy Carter, instead of speaking, filmed a video about the hurricane recovery efforts.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/foreca...2008-08-27.html

So some GOP nutbag says 'pray' for rain on Obama's head tonight, and Democrats are licking their chops for a natural disaster to happen just so they can criticize a lame duck President......

Why would ANYONE belong to EITHER of those parties?

I saw them doing that by some of the political strategists ast night. I was so pissed. They're actually hoping for another Katrina to hit, hoping for deaths.

That's why I just can't vote for either party. They are so vetted against each other that they don't care for the American people at all. This just further proves it. If that hurricane does hit, I'm sure they're ready to play the Blame Game and with the quickness.

I saw them doing that by some of the political strategists ast night. I was so pissed. They're actually hoping for another Katrina to hit, hoping for deaths.

That's why I just can't vote for either party. They are so vetted against each other that they don't care for the American people at all. This just further proves it. If that hurricane does hit, I'm sure they're ready to play the Blame Game and with the quickness.

Keep in mind it was some private party full of conservative citizens that "prayed for rain," not the GOP itself. Also, the Democrats aren't hoping for a hurricane in the Gulf region. Though I'm sure the threadstarter doesn't want a hurricane over there either, it was totally wrong to mention karma. Obama never did anything wrong to that region specifically, so why would they want it to rain on Obama's speech? I fail to see how karma would come into play where no one initiated any action.

In short, these comments were from individuals, not anyone from the parties themselves. The parties don't deserve the blame for a few extremist citizens and their words and actions. However, if a hurricane does hit, both Republicans and Democrats had better be ready to help.

Keep in mind it was some private party full of conservative citizens that "prayed for rain," not the GOP itself. Also, the Democrats aren't hoping for a hurricane in the Gulf region. Though I'm sure the threadstarter doesn't want a hurricane over there either, it was totally wrong to mention karma. Obama never did anything wrong to that region specifically, so why would they want it to rain on Obama's speech? I fail to see how karma would come into play where no one initiated any action.

In short, these comments were from individuals, not anyone from the parties themselves. The parties don't deserve the blame for a few extremist citizens and their words and actions. However, if a hurricane does hit, both Republicans and Democrats had better be ready to help.

Don't you know on these boards when a person speaks, they speak for everyone in their respective parties. :D