Finally a reporter who thinks we'll go 10-6

durrdbyrd

Unfortunately, that reporter is just me. <_< I don't know why it is that no one can seem to give us any respect. I get laughed at when I'm at work and regarded as nothing but "a die-hard fan with a dream." What's really strange is whenever I listen to the guys on ESPN Radio, they praise the decision to start Ryan as a great move, but then turn around and say we'll lose 12-13 games anyway. That makes no sense. I've never heard of a move being called "great" that will lead to 13 losses before. The sad thing is, I know a lot of these guys. I know how they think. Their mentality is "if I can't name 5 players, the team will be terrible." It's an arrogance to believe that if the names on the roster aren't easily recognizable to them, then the team has to be bad. That's not true.

This team reminds me a lot of the 2005 Atlanta Braves. I know that it's a comparison between a football team and a baseball team, which usually doesn't work, but I think it does here. For those who remember, the '05 Braves won the division with several rookies starting. They were dubbed the Baby Braves. What that team showed was that if you have talented rookies, and a great GM, a very good manager (or coach), and a few good veterans, you can still win.

Sound familiar?

My opinion carries little weight in the media business. I'm, after all, pretty new to the game and I work for a newspaper that's relatively small on a national scale. But my brethren are completely wrong. They may not know it now, but they will. We may not go 10-6 as I say, but we will be successful this season.

I'm not sure whether it's complete ignorance that they dismiss us so easily or a calculated move to set-up the Cinderella story later on in the year (that may be giving them too much credit). But we will see.

I think the team should go ahead & play the season anyway.

The talking heads see numbers...most from last season. They also think the team is still reeling from the Petrino fiasco. They don't see the massive overhaul.

If the stinkin' 'Aints can put together a playoff team in their first season under Sean Peyton AFTER Katrina's...then our team's mountain isn't as high.

I think the Birds can do as well as they want to. I'd be pleased with 8-8. I just don't want the pundits to be right.

Go Falcons!!

I think the team should go ahead & play the season anyway.

The talking heads see numbers...most from last season. They also think the team is still reeling from the Petrino fiasco. They don't see the massive overhaul.

If the stinkin' 'Aints can put together a playoff team in their first season under Sean Peyton AFTER Katrina's...then our team's mountain isn't as high.

I think the Birds can do as well as they want to. I'd be pleased with 8-8. I just don't want the pundits to be right.

Go Falcons!!

man where have you been??!! i havent seen you in forever man! how are things?

if the trend is worst to first....does that mean the bucs go first to last.....thats what i think is gonna happen....the bucs will finish last & you heard it here first(havent seen it predicted on here)first...panthers(looking really good....2nd saints/falcons...3rd..saints/falcons....4th(last) bucs

man where have you been??!! i havent seen you in forever man! how are things?

I got bored with all of the "Vick love-fest, hate fest, sign this guy!, why'd you sign that guy?" vibe this place was laying down. That plus the MB changes made it next to impossible to log in. I finally got info from the guys at Falcons Loyal on how to get in.

Things are awesome on this end. business is rockin'. How's about you?

I'd be super stoked for us to just break .500. Even 7-9 might make me a happy man. I'm thinking we'll win 6 games at least and I'll admit I'd be disappointed if we matched last years record...and severely disappointed if we lost more games than last year.

It seems that the law of averages would dictate that we'd at least match last year's record. It perplexes me that the pundits have us losing every game, going 3-13, 2-14....whatever. I suppose 3-13 is somewhere in the realm of logical thought....but wth....if we even win 5 games we can tell em', "We told you so."

What's really strange is whenever I listen to the guys on ESPN Radio, they praise the decision to start Ryan as a great move, but then turn around and say we'll lose 12-13 games anyway. That makes no sense. I've never heard of a move being called "great" that will lead to 13 losses before.

It's simple. Starting Peyton Manning from Day 1 was a "great move". The Colts only won 3 games that season while Manning threw 28 INT's. The next year, Manning only threw 15 INT's and the Colts went 13-3 and won the Division. That was a great move, because it turned around a struggling franchise very quickly.

Disclaimer: I don't agree with starting rookie QB's from Day 1, but I'll be pulling for Ryan. I am hoping to eat crow on this!

I agree we are alot better than the media thinks. Why would any player give extra under last year coaching staff? Smith has opened the communications lines and listened to the players. That being said he did have a pretty good draft last year, and Smith's draft this year put us in pretty good shape. I like the media's expectations for one reason, he gives our guys a real good chance of feeding them a crap sandwich. OMG last in the league, if they think last year's squirrel show was the real team then they are as dumb as I thought.