-- What ATL History could have been --

xFalconLord

I was in a discussion with my father-in-law last weekend talking falcons history. He made a great point that I really had never thought about. In the 1983 draft Atlanta Drafted 16th selecting Mike Pitts. That same draft, Dan Marino went 20-something overall by Miami. Then you fast forward to 1991 and we successfully draft a HOF'er in Brett Favre but dont keep him. A full 17 years and one misguided first round QB later, and were sitting here with what looks to be a good QB in Matt Ryan.

What would our history/record look like had we drafted one Dan Marino, then Favre and kept him (probably wouldnt have drafted Vick since we had Favre), then now we would have Ryan sitting one year behind Brett Favre. I mean that is really something when you think about it.

Favre drank himself silly around Buckhead and didn't have the maturity to ever become anything great here. When he was sent to Green Bay he had to straighten up and some good coaching made him who he became.

He would've never been a good player while living in Atlanta.

Favre drank himself silly around Buckhead and didn't have the maturity to ever become anything great here. When he was sent to Green Bay he had to straighten up and some good coaching made him who he became.

Its interesting I havnt heard people talking about anything like that before? Where did you hear that? I didnt know he was a drunk.

Marino had some character issues coming out of college, and that is why he dropped.

And we know why we got rid of Favre.

It is totally hindsight. Favre wouldn't work out here, and Marino looked like a bad egg. Every team passes up on plenty of great players, no one gets it right.

I thought people shyed away from Marino was because he was in a car accident. Thats what I have always heard.

I thought people shyed away from Marino was because he was in a car accident. Thats what I have always heard.

From Wiki:

"Marino's selection status in the 1983 NFL Draft plummeted after a subpar senior season at Pitt, and observations that knee injuries were hampering his mobility. His alleged cocaine use at Pitt also hampered his draft status.[1] Five other quarterbacks, including Hall of Famers Jim Kelly and John Elway and less successful players Ken O'Brien, Tony Eason and Todd Blackledge, were drafted ahead of him."

Hmm, all I remembered was he partied too hard. I think he was benched a game or two or something for it, but I could also be making that up.

From Wiki:

"Marino's selection status in the 1983 NFL Draft plummeted after a subpar senior season at Pitt, and observations that knee injuries were hampering his mobility. His alleged cocaine use at Pitt also hampered his draft status.[1] Five other quarterbacks, including Hall of Famers Jim Kelly and John Elway and less successful players Ken O'Brien, Tony Eason and Todd Blackledge, were drafted ahead of him."

Hmm, all I remembered was he partied too hard. I think he was benched a game or two or something for it, but I could also be making that up.

Thanks for the info. The car wreck thing I cant find much. My father-in-law is crazy as far as remembering NFL history but he may have been wrong about marino and the car wreck. Of course, he could have had those character issues and the car wreck as well which may have been why he went so low.

amen. why won't people get this in their head. farve wouldn't have ever been the same if he stayed here.

Its interesting I havnt heard people talking about anything like that before? Where did you hear that? I didnt know he was a drunk.

lol, yeah dude that's why we traded him to Green Bay. Favre used to come to practice hung over and smelling like alcohol.

I was in a discussion with my father-in-law last weekend talking falcons history. He made a great point that I really had never thought about. In the 1983 draft Atlanta Drafted 16th selecting Mike Pitts. That same draft, Dan Marino went 20-something overall by Miami. Then you fast forward to 1991 and we successfully draft a HOF'er in Brett Favre but dont keep him. A full 17 years and one misguided first round QB later, and were sitting here with what looks to be a good QB in Matt Ryan.

What would our history/record look like had we drafted one Dan Marino, then Favre and kept him (probably wouldnt have drafted Vick since we had Favre), then now we would have Ryan sitting one year behind Brett Favre. I mean that is really something when you think about it.

Farve was a head case back then. He was a full blown party animal, addicted to pain pills and alcohol. He said it himself, if he had stayed in Atlanta he probably would have either died from his habits or not made it Period in the NFL. I wish we had drafted Dan MArino though, that woulda been awesome. Farve was a whole different story though.

lets not forget that we traded up for vick when w could have had tomlinson.....so we could of had brett & lt.....but brett got cut because he missed the team picture because he was late from being hungover....i liked glanville....but he totally messed that one up
oh.....& byw....the worse thing to happen to vick(besides his own stupidity) was firing the man that drafted him....reeves coulda done something with that kid
lol, yeah dude that's why we traded him to Green Bay. Favre used to come to practice hung over and smelling like alcohol.

Hmm same thing Maurice Clarrett did. Atleast Favre learned from his mistakes unlike Clarrett.

There are a lot of ifs here, plus Favre wasn't exactly a HOF qb while he was in ATL. He could have just as easily become a full blown alcoholic and dropped out of the league two years later.

If we had kept Favre around and he still eventually cleaned himself up, we likely would have spent the next decade molding him into a system and drafting around that. Assuming this would have translated to more stability at head coach and more overall wins, we likely would not have received the 3rd overall pick in this past draft and hence, would not have drafted Ryan anyway.

i dont even need to think that far. we could have had a bright future with vick. this could have been our superbowl season.
thats some good herb your smoking mr mexico....just dont take it to the airport where they might have drug sniffing dogs that will try to kill you unless you kill them first......& if the people at the airport try to antagonize you.....just flip em off....its ok, because everybody loves you man....nothing will happen to you....your a god...laws dont apply to you & you have so much money...oops ...thank goodness for bankruptcy...at least i got 3 squares & a cell to sleep in & everybody in here knows me too...its almost like cheers but its .....never mind....you get the point

This might help you understand. GOOGLED it

Brett Favre: Encyclopedia II - Brett Favre - Atlanta

Brett Favre - Atlanta

Favre was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in the second round, 33rd overall in the 1991 NFL Draft. In Atlanta, he was a third-string quarterback with unremarkable numbers and an affinity for partying. He got into repeated clashes with head coach Jerry Glanville. His most notable accomplishments, aside from going 0 for 5 passing with two interceptions that year, were missing the team photo (he'd been out the night before), for which he was fined

Archived