Are we overly optimistic?

Just came across this...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/foot...ex.html?eref=T1

Really SI? 2-14?

Now I know we have gone through a myriad of changes. I know we had some pretty devistating things happen last season, but this makes me angry. Sports Illustrated predicts we will be 2-14. I wonder if they are seeing the same potential we see, or if we are seeing potential that really isnt there. Maybe Im just drunk! But I cant wait until we prove everyone wrong. Not saying we are gonna be world shakers, but i dont think 8-8 would be too far fetched.

**** no we are not over optimistic we have just as good of a chance as anyone else because we should be able to run the ball well, we havea good receiving corp, we have a strong front 7 so we should do an OK job of stopping the run.

what is going to hurt is most are rookie mistakes we have a lot of positions with not alot of experience and that is going to hurt but we very VERY easily could be 9-7 this year.

Just came across this...

Really SI? 2-14?

Now I know we have gone through a myriad of changes. I know we had some pretty devistating things happen last season, but this makes me angry. Sports Illustrated predicts we will be 2-14. I wonder if they are seeing the same potential we see, or if we are seeing potential that really isnt there. Maybe Im just drunk! But I cant wait until we prove everyone wrong. Not saying we are gonna be world shakers, but i dont think 8-8 would be too far fetched.

I love it that eveybody has us ranked last , That will make every win feel like and Super bowl win , plus we don't have any monday night games , we always do much better in these type situations. LOve IT!!! This team is going to shock the NFL world If we can keep Ryan on his feet that is . That is the key to how well we do this year, If Our OL can get it done then we will shock the NFL world .

After last preseason, when everyone was claiming "Harrington has found a team he'll succeed on". "Anderson will light it up with Abe". and "Petrino's offense will put so many points on the board" I have remained skeptical.

But after looking at how Dimitroff's decisions are so different and how the players are responding to Smith as a coach, as well as players emerging with good coaching, I think we have reason to be optimistic, and I have been as pessimistic as anyone this offseason.

We are going to be a good competitive team.

I don't quite understand giving us a prediction that is worse than the actual record that we got last year. We have only improved over last year. I'm wondering if its because we don't have Crumpler, Dunn, and Hall. If anything the worst I could see us doing is the same as last year.

I get the sense that the national media had already made their minds up that the Falcons were going to take years to rebuild and as such, haven't bothered to dig beneath the surface. Every preview involves a detailed write-up of the ills of last year but encapsulates their 2008 analysis with benign statements like...

"Mike Mularkey favors the run and has two reliable backs in free-agent Michael Turner and third-year man Jerious Norwood"

In short, they've as a collective whole decided to not dig beneath the surface and feel comfortable in their mass assessment that we'll be good for 1-2 swins this year...

I love it that everybody has us ranked last , That will make every win feel like and Super bowl win , plus we don't have any Monday night games , we always do much better in these type situations. LOve IT!!! This team is going to shock the NFL world If we can keep Ryan on his feet that is . That is the key to how well we do this year, If Our OL can get it done then we will shock the NFL world .

I have to agree with the Padre

I don't believe in pre-season predicting.

Nobody knows how many wins ANY team will have.....................so it's useless.

All I know is : We have a d.amn good young, athletic team with incredible team chemistry, fantastic coaching, and I feel this will produce some very positive results.

GET READY TO SHOCK THE WORLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just came across this...

Really SI? 2-14?

yeah, everyone thats saying 9-7 is overly optimistic

but so what, im overly optimistic also.

its a fan's responsibility to be overly optimistic sometimes

After last preseason, when everyone was claiming "Harrington has found a team he'll succeed on". "Anderson will light it up with Abe". and "Petrino's offense will put so many points on the board" I have remained skeptical.

But after looking at how Dimitroff's decisions are so different and how the players are responding to Smith as a coach, as well as players emerging with good coaching, I think we have reason to be optimistic, and I have been as pessimistic as anyone this offseason.

We are going to be a good competitive team.

What he said.

every new season brings optism(which isnt a bad thing)& this team & fans have the right to be optimistic because we follow the team more closely than the guys that have to report on 31 other teams...its easy to look at our team & predict very low win % because of all of our young, inexperienced players, a rookie qb, o-line that noone knows about, etc....what they dont know is our players heart, love for the game,our scheme, the respect our players have for this staff & each other, and that our players take a lunch box to work, because they know & want to put in a full days work at every position....so let them overlook us, because its expected & they dont have time to spend evaluating a team laden with rookies so they just throw a # out there & move on to a team thats expected to win alot of games....but thats why we play them, isnt it.........6 wns would be just fine with me & anything more would be icing on the cake that is the ATLANTA FALCONS,.....GO BIRDS

we could be overly optimistic, but we should be optimistic. We're fans. We looked good in the preseason against playoff teams. But it will be a real tough season especially if our oline doesn't keep up the nastiness and our defense falls off like they did last year. i don't see that happening, but you never know. I see us winning 5-8 games, which is a major improvement. One dude on ESPN.com picked Ryan to win OROY, I think he can if he does good and wins a couple games. Lofton got no love on that ESPN poll though, I think he can win DROY if he plays a lot.