Bad news for Mitch Mustain

Goat

Trojans' Corp is No. 2 at QB

USC freshman Aaron Corp will officially be the Trojans' No. 2 quarterback ahead of sophomore Mitch Mustain for Saturday's season opener against Virginia.

"If we played tonight, Aaron would go first," offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian said. "But that doesn't mean (the competition is) over. They both worked extremely hard."

Sarkisian said Corp has improved dramatically since spring practice.

"They both played well and have a ways to go, but Aaron really progressed," Sarkisian said. "He's extremely mobile and has done a nice job with the deep ball. Is he perfect? No. He still needs to learn some things with game management."

Asked about the fact Mustain went 8-0 at Arkansas with an extra year's experience, Sarkisian said, "The thing to remember about Arkansas was that it was a different system."

Corp will play Saturday if anything happens to starter Mark Sanchez or if Sanchez needs a break. Sarkisian said he would closely monitor Sanchez to see if conditioning becomes an issue during the game because Sanchez missed several weeks with a dislocated kneecap.

"I don't want that to happen, but if we get pushed to that point, we have to do what we have to do," Sarkisian said.

Sanchez threw two interceptions during Tuesday's practice in the scrimmage portion, which was not exactly a confidence boost going into the Virginia game.

"There's a little bit of rust in there," USC coach Pete Carroll said. "We need to make sure we clean things up and protect him."

Carroll said he did not view the interceptions as understandable following Sanchez's prolonged absence.

"We don't ever want stuff like that to happen and then brush it off," Carroll said.

Sanchez downplayed the interceptions by safety Kevin Ellison and defensive end Malik Jackson because he was more excited to practice full-speed with no problem.

"I was bummed, but they made great plays," he said. "If I'm not thinking about my knee, I don't want to think about interceptions."

Team doctor James Tibone cleared Sanchez on Tuesday night, the final step before he officially starts against Virginia.

"He can run, he can cut," Tibone said. "I was surprised how well he did last week."

Jackson rises: Jackson (Birmingham High), who intercepted one of Sanchez's passes, could play against Virginia.

"He's as natural a player at that position as anyone who has come here," Carroll said. "He has a natural feel for rushing. (Former defensive lineman) Lawrence Jackson needed to redshirt his first year, he didn't have that feel.

"That was an excellent play he made (on the interception)."

Jackson said he is curious about playing his first college game, but would not mind redshirting.

"I do want to play, but I want to hold on and see what's it like, too," he said. "But I want to play. If they call me, I'll be ready. If they don't, they don't."

Wright improves: Cornerback Shareece Wright (abdomen) participated in parts of Tuesday's practice without pain and is expected to be available for Saturday's game.

Link

I had a feeling things were going to get ugly after I went to the scrimmage. While the competition isn't over, it's not a good sign that Corp has passed Mustain given his experience. Thoughts or comments?

Trojans' Corp is No. 2 at QB

USC freshman Aaron Corp will officially be the Trojans' No. 2 quarterback ahead of sophomore Mitch Mustain for Saturday's season opener against Virginia.

"If we played tonight, Aaron would go first," offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian said. "But that doesn't mean (the competition is) over. They both worked extremely hard."

Sarkisian said Corp has improved dramatically since spring practice.

"They both played well and have a ways to go, but Aaron really progressed," Sarkisian said. "He's extremely mobile and has done a nice job with the deep ball. Is he perfect? No. He still needs to learn some things with game management."

Asked about the fact Mustain went 8-0 at Arkansas with an extra year's experience, Sarkisian said, "The thing to remember about Arkansas was that it was a different system."

Corp will play Saturday if anything happens to starter Mark Sanchez or if Sanchez needs a break. Sarkisian said he would closely monitor Sanchez to see if conditioning becomes an issue during the game because Sanchez missed several weeks with a dislocated kneecap.

"I don't want that to happen, but if we get pushed to that point, we have to do what we have to do," Sarkisian said.

Sanchez threw two interceptions during Tuesday's practice in the scrimmage portion, which was not exactly a confidence boost going into the Virginia game.

"There's a little bit of rust in there," USC coach Pete Carroll said. "We need to make sure we clean things up and protect him."

Carroll said he did not view the interceptions as understandable following Sanchez's prolonged absence.

"We don't ever want stuff like that to happen and then brush it off," Carroll said.

Sanchez downplayed the interceptions by safety Kevin Ellison and defensive end Malik Jackson because he was more excited to practice full-speed with no problem.

"I was bummed, but they made great plays," he said. "If I'm not thinking about my knee, I don't want to think about interceptions."

Team doctor James Tibone cleared Sanchez on Tuesday night, the final step before he officially starts against Virginia.

"He can run, he can cut," Tibone said. "I was surprised how well he did last week."

Jackson rises: Jackson (Birmingham High), who intercepted one of Sanchez's passes, could play against Virginia.

"He's as natural a player at that position as anyone who has come here," Carroll said. "He has a natural feel for rushing. (Former defensive lineman) Lawrence Jackson needed to redshirt his first year, he didn't have that feel.

"That was an excellent play he made (on the interception)."

Jackson said he is curious about playing his first college game, but would not mind redshirting.

"I do want to play, but I want to hold on and see what's it like, too," he said. "But I want to play. If they call me, I'll be ready. If they don't, they don't."

Wright improves: Cornerback Shareece Wright (abdomen) participated in parts of Tuesday's practice without pain and is expected to be available for Saturday's game.

Link

I had a feeling things were going to get ugly after I went to the scrimmage. While the competition isn't over, it's not a good sign that Corp has passed Mustain given his experience. Thoughts or comments?

My thoughts: Mustain was a idiot if he wanted to transfer and start, a genius if he wanted to get a ring.

The Mustain family brought this debacle on themselves. You reap what you sow.
Thats how I see it also. It was his family and his high school coach ( later his OC in colllege ) who are to blame for that whole mess. He is responsible also but he was the only kid in the mix. You would expect adults to make somewhat better decisions. I hope his Mom is happy now that she has all but destroyed his career. He had all kinds of potential coming out of high school.

bingo.. of all his friends and even his ex-high school coach. had very good endings, but mitch hasn't.. he has been given some horrible direction.
Thats true and probably all of us Falcon fans benefited from it also because without all of that mess, Houston Nutt would probably still be at Arkansas which means we would still have Petrino as our coach so thanks Mrs Mustain .....we owe you one. ;)

Next stop........ Tulsa? :o

If he transferred to Tulsa, he would have to sit out again for one year and only have one year of eligibility remaining (his senior year). If he wants playing time and any fathomable shot at possibly playing in the NFL one day, it looks like he needs to transfer to a I-AA school and go the Joe Flacco route.

He is not but the kid has a cannon and has more game experience than anyone we have now. Adapt the offense to the personnel you have.

naw, just destroy & rebuild.. You gotta remember this is an entirely different look for the Mich offense.. I remember when Oregon switched to the spread & they struggled for a yr or two until they found the right QB.. Rich Rodriguez is a lot of things but he is brilliant w/ that spread.