We've got to cut 22 players by Saturday

michaelgee

Who would you rather keep?

We have some guys with possible "committment" questions.

Hoey or DJ? DJ hasn't shown anything in PS but Hoey has only a couple of years left to pass for 2 yards?

Adam "The Fair Catch" Jennings, I'd rather keep Thomas Brown- Brown and Douglas can return.

Keenan Forney?? How hungry is this guy?

Martrez Milner?? Just showed up to practice but Pollard has not future.

Keep TBrown if possible- Snelling is for real.

Brian Finneran is a lock to stay, Finn is too good to be cut.

Bye Bye Butterworth?

List some of yours.

I think these guys will be cut by Saturday: Shockley, Butterworth, Chandler WIlliams, Kynan Forney, Jason Snelling, Eric Weems, Doug Datish, Fontenot, Rader (TE), .

I'd like to keep Snelling but Thomas Brown's more versatile in our offense and can return kicks so he has that advantage. Also, I think both Finn and Jennings will make the team (although for some reason if they do cut one of them, I think it will be Finn, hope not though b/c he looks like he's back).

QB: 4-

Keep: Ryan, Redman, Shockley (3)

Cut: Harrington

RB: 4-

Keep: Turner, Norwood, Snelling, Brown (4)

Cut: None

FB: 2-

Keep: Mughelli, McIntyre (2)

WR: 9-

Keep: White, Robinson, Jenkins, Douglas, Finneran (5)

Cut: Weems, Williams, Kinoshita, Jennings

TE: 5-

Keep: Pollard, Hartsock, Milner (3)

Cut: Zinger, Rader

OT: 7-

Keep: Baker, Weiner, Foster, Ojinnaka, McCoy (5)

Cut: Pennington, Butterworth

OG: 5-

Keep: Blalock, Dahl, Clabo, Batiste (4)

Cut: Forney

C: 4-

Keep: McClure, Stepanovich (2)

Cut: Datish, Wilkerson

DE: 7-

Keep: Abraham, Anderson, Bierman, Davis, Fraser (5)

Cut: Evans, Miller

DT: 7-

Keep: Jackson, Moore, Babineaux, Moorehead, Lewis (5)

Cut: Anderson, Stanley

LB: 9-

Keep: Brooking, Lofton, Boley, Nicholas, Taylor, Wire, James (7)

Cut: Vaughn, Pimentel

CB: 9-

Keep: Houston, Grimes, Jackson, Hutchins, Irons, Adams (6)

Cut: Fontenot, Sharpe, Harris

S: 6-

Keep: Milloy, Coleman, DeCoud, Stone (4)

Cut: Cooper, Brock

K: 1-

Keep: Elam (1)

P: 1-

Keep: Koenen (1)

LS: 1-

Keep: Schneck (1)

Total:

QB: 3, RB: 4, FB: 2, WR: 5, TE: 3, OT: 6, OG: 4, C: 2, DE: 5, DT: 5, LB: 7, CB: 6, S: 4, K: 1, P: 1, LS: 1

3+4+2+5+3+5+4+2+5+5+7+6+4+1+1+1= 58

so after all that, we still need 5 more cuts. However, i included 3 players who were on the injured reserve: (Pat McCoy, OL...Robert James, LB... Von Hutchins, CB) in the total of 58, but they will not be on the active roster. That drops it down to 55. We still need 2 more cuts though!

Luckily, i have one more trick up my sleeve. Trey Lewis and Renardo Foster were both included in the final roster number of 58. However, neither count against the total number because Lewis is on the reserve-non football injury list and Foster is on the Physically Unable to Perform list. And what does that mean?

We're down to 53!!!

Some close calls included: Keep/Cut Jennings, Keep Shock or Harrington, Keep/Cut Brown/Snelling... etc. and some of these are just guesses, but i did my best based off of what ive heard this preseason and my prior knowledge of the players. but further down the depth charts (like with fraser or the last spot or two on the CB depth chart) were hard for me to guess at or predict. anyways, this took a while and took some careful consideration, but i kind of like the roster i came up with. it probably wont be very accurate, but hopefully its at least reasonably close. :P

oh, and from the guys i cut, here are some ideas for an 8-10 man PS:

-Keith Zinger, TE, LSU ®

-Michael Butterworth, OT, Slippery Rock ®

-Willie Evans, DE, Mississippi State (1)

-Wilrey Fontenot, CB, Arizona ®

-Brandon Miller, DE, Georgia ®

-Glenn Sharpe, CB, Miami ®

-Doug Datish, C, Ohio State (1)

-Cameron Vaughn, LB, LSU (1)

-Chandler Williams, WR, Florida International ®

-Noriaki Kinoshita, WR, Ritsumeikan (1)

:D

We will only keep a 5 backs (RBs + FBs). Either Brown or Snelling are gone, Most likely Snelling. Also I don't see us keeping 2 true centers. Stepanovich goes if any of the backup guards can play C. I also think DT Moorehead is toast... I haven't heard his name all camp. That's not a good sign. Milner's a goner... he's not been on the field and it's not like he has alot of good history to save him. Forney is definitely gone.

if we are only keeping 5 backs then i think snelling is going to be gone. thomas browns versatility as a runner and a special teams returner along with special teams coverage is too much to release imo. its too bad, i was proud of myself for figuring out how to keep both of them...

and i didnt know what to think of milner, but i havent heard anything good about him either. who do you think the #3 TE will be then? zinger? cooper?

well considering stepanovich has versatility to play OG (at least i think he does) i think he makes sense to keep on board. and i havent heard moorehead's name either, but im not convinced that he is going to be cut because of that. we will see though.

I think these guys will be cut by Saturday: Shockley, Butterworth, Chandler WIlliams, Kynan Forney, Jason Snelling, Eric Weems, Doug Datish, Fontenot, Rader (TE), .

I'd like to keep Snelling but Thomas Brown's more versatile in our offense and can return kicks so he has that advantage. Also, I think both Finn and Jennings will make the team (although for some reason if they do cut one of them, I think it will be Finn, hope not though b/c he looks like he's back).

Forney is an interesting decision to make, we invested years in Forney. Does he and his work ethic just not meet the standards expected by Dimitroff and Smith?

Cutting Snelling won't happen. TBrown would go id either has to go, I hope they both get on the team.

if we are only keeping 5 backs then i think snelling is going to be gone. thomas browns versatility as a runner and a special teams returner along with special teams coverage is too much to release imo. its too bad, i was proud of myself for figuring out how to keep both of them...

and i didnt know what to think of milner, but i havent heard anything good about him either. who do you think the #3 TE will be then? zinger? cooper?

well considering stepanovich has versatility to play OG (at least i think he does) i think he makes sense to keep on board. and i havent heard moorehead's name either, but im not convinced that he is going to be cut because of that. we will see though.

I can't see them cutting Snelling, he is our power backup to Turner.

Snelling's size and power will beat out TBrown but Brown has some reasons to stay as well.

Special teams- I'd keep Finneran especially for his special teams impact as well as his ability to catch over the middle.

One thing you got to give Finn credit for, he cathes the ball first, the big hit doesn't scare Finn at all.

i dont think that well cut snelling either, but i definately dont want to cut brown either. thats why i didnt cut either of them on my giant depth chart, and kept 6 backs. i dont really have a problem with that. 4 solid backs is a blessing, not a curse.

tbrowns versatility on special teams both on returns and coverage is valuable, not to mention hes looked good running the ball this preseason. i guess it ultimately comes down to how they do tonight doesnt it? hopefully tbrown has another good game and makes it impossible for us to cut him.

i did cut jennings but im not convinced it will be that easy. he was one of the guys i went back and forth on, but if it comes down to brown or jennings im going brown, no question. jennings is more of a luxury guy since he provides no help on offense, just special teams.

Great post Mr Offseason!

I think the T. Brown / A. Jennings decisions will be hard to make. I think the Falcons like Jennings much more than the members of this board. I almost think the decision will be Robinson / Finneran rather than Brown / Jennings.

Snelling has done everything he can to win a spot, but remember what happened to him a year ago?

Forney and Datish are definately on the bubble. I wouldn't be surprized to see Datish go to the PS and Forney get the axe. We'll see.

Really enjoyed reading your break down. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, BTW> I think Shockley gets the axe. He's popular, but Harrington will make a better #3. He'll never see playing time AND he'll make a great coach. Shockley has promise, but Ryan is our franchise QB. Expect to see Shockley get the axe and find a team within 48 hours.

You heard it here 41st.

Here's my Final 53:

DEFENSE

DE (5)

J. Abraham

J. Anderson

S. Fraser

C. Davis

K. Biermann

DT (4)

J. Babineaux

G. Jackson