Do you guys think Ryan will face a "ton" of blitzes this season?

Flayko247

Just wondering what your opinions were.

Ryan has looked impressive with his ability to read and react to defenses so far, however it is preseason, and defenses are very "vanilla" at this point. After watching him play, he seems aware of what the defense is trying to do and gets the ball out quickly.

I'm just wondering how long the offense can sustain a drive with quick slants along with short to intermediate passes. No one has seen him try the deep ball in any games thus far.

I realize it has been reported he has a weak arm and the ball tends to "float" or "sail" on his throws. I'm not here to discuss his arm strength!! I would guess it has been more to do with Mularkey's play-calling and the fact it seems he has been pressured alot by the opposing defense. I can't recall any of his games where he's had time to drop back for 4-5 seconds and survey the field to find a receiver on a deep route. Once again, it may be the OC's playcalling that has Ryan not attempting a "deep" ball thus far.

Until defenses see him actually throw one deep, I can't help but feel we're going to see the opposing teams with their ears pinned back, trying to lay the wood to #2!

Your thoughts..............................

That's a given. He will get blitzed at least once every series. Teams do that to all rookie QBs. But Ryan, combined with Mularkey's smart play-calling, has shown to handle it with those nice 7 yard slants.

What many people here have not noticed is that Mularkey has adjusted his offense to fit Ryan's strengths - which is the short/intermediate passing game - and also protect him from having to stand in the pocket too long. We are not going to see very many 40 yard passes downfield from Ryan, and that's fine with me. As long as Ryan can advance the ball 7-15 yards at a time with few mistakes that's all you need to do. It also helps keep the Defense off the field and better rested.

Mike Mularkey is well worth whatever money this organization is paying him.

Unlike Brennan as just one example, Ryan played most of the year snapping from the line of scrimmage, not a shotgun. He's been blitzed mercilessly. BC was actually better letting him snap from scrimmage because he's so quick in his reads. The pro game is going to challenge him like it would any pro QB. But nobody allowed Ryan any time to throw in college. They just couldn't stop him.

That's what happens when the guy you're trying to defend can see EVERY potential pass catcher, not just the primary options. Guys who never made catches are going to look like real receivers on the Falcons. I can't wait to read this board when that happens.

As for the short throws around 10 to 20 that is definitely better than 5 yd dinks in 3rd and 20 but that is just for evaluation purposes. They want to let him settle in and evaluate how he manages the game.

The defenses love to T off on rookie QB's so that is going to happen. If Ryan is as comfortable in the offense as he looks then he will learn to exploit the blitz. He already demostrated that 3 to 5 steps this way or that way from the pocket will buy time and he is deliberate in his throw which is pretty quick after the ball is snapped.

The best thing he can do to accelerate himself through the learning curve is to take advantage of the blitz since there will be less guys in coverage.

That's a given. He will get blitzed at least once every series. Teams do that to all rookie QBs. But Ryan, combined with Mularkey's smart play-calling, has shown to handle it with those nice 7 yard slants.

What many people here have not noticed is that Mularkey has adjusted his offense to fit Ryan's strengths - which is the short/intermediate passing game - and also protect him from having to stand in the pocket too long. We are not going to see very many 40 yard passes downfield from Ryan, and that's fine with me. As long as Ryan can advance the ball 7-15 yards at a time with few mistakes that's all you need to do. It also helps keep the Defense off the field and better rested.

Mike Mularkey is well worth whatever money this organization is paying him.

Mularkey has not adjusted anything. Mularkeys offense has always been the short intermediate throws with a power running game. Once he feels Ryan is ready, he will air it out a bit, but we will only see about 3-4 deep balls a game at most. Mularkey is a ball control offense guy, with a smash mouth mentality. He will try to make manageable 3rd down situations for Ryan, and our offense will be very boring but get the job done. Also, once he is comfortable with Ryan, you will see the trick plays Mularkey loves as well.

Ryan is just part of the equation, if teams feel they can generate a good pass rush against the Falcons O line, then they do not need to blitz. Teams blitz when they cannot generate a pass rush any other way, or if they want to force the QB into making a bad throw by really hurrying him.

Our O line simply has to protect Ryan, regardless of what the D does. If Ryan burns a few blitzes early, we just might get a decent passing offense going.

Since my old account somehow got lost while I wasn't able to post (and we got a new forum), the first thing I want to say is "Hi guys"

Back to the topic:

I think, Turner and Norwood will be a huge factor for opposing DCs, when they think of calling a "blitz" ... if they're able to move the chains, Ryan will have a pretty good time, especially with throws like last week against the Titans, but also with occasional play-action-long-balls once the playbook opens up a little.

Of Course....he has already by the way. That's why the quick slant was working so well...I thought. That's why Ryan is beginning to get recognized. He knows what to do with the ball and when to do it. I'm totally sold right now. I just don't want him to force the ball like I've seen him do several times already and he'll be fine.

He'll be fine even against the blitz... Even if he takes some hits I don't think he'll ever get the David Carr of Joey effect.. He's much more cerebral and mentally centered. I'd actually be willing to bet money that Ryan won't ever turn into David Carr or Joey regardless of how many hits he takes. He much more takes after Peyton Manning as a rookie QB, hopefully we'll be entertained by MAtt Ryan one day picking apart defenses pre-snap and setting up the offense perfectly to exploit it.