The REAL reason for starting Ryan

phocis850

I believe that Chris Redman SHOULD be the starter for AT LEAST the first 4 games.

But, what would happen is he was winning games? Would you put Ryan in when things are working?

I believe the ONLY reason they are starting Ryan is because they don't want to see an Anderson / Quinn problem.

I don't see it like that. If they feared this problem then Ryan would not have been drafted in the first place. I have been one of the biggest Redman supporters, and I really wanted him to be the starter, but Falcons are working with what they have. Redman can play, no question, but with what they have invested in Ryan, and what he has shown, I am not all that surprised that he is going to be the starter. We have to hope their talent evaluation is what is should be. They are looking to the future, and believe that Ryan has the skills to start, learn from it, and play up to par.

And why is it a disadvantage to have a Quinn/Anderson problem? It just means that one will be traded for plenty of draft picks once the starter is entirely set. Anderson, who looks to be the trade bait considering the short contract they gave him, will likely trade for a first rounder, or a few later rounders. If it is a problem, it is a GREAT problem to have, having 2 GREAT QB's.

Maybe I could see wanting to keep Redman as a backup, and not letting him slip away, but thinking that he isn't quite enough to be the long term starter. Keeping him out of the games would ensure a low level of interest from other teams, and we could have that solid backup, where out year wouldn't go down the drain if our starter was injured (a la Vick's broken leg).

I believe that Chris Redman SHOULD be the starter for AT LEAST the first 4 games.

But, what would happen is he was winning games? Would you put Ryan in when things are working?

I believe the ONLY reason they are starting Ryan is because they don't want to see an Anderson / Quinn problem.

No because Ryan is the future and looks like he's going to a very good QB. Only thing Ryan needs is the reps & real game experience. He's got the best intangibles , attitude, abd leadership, What would be the purpose to start Redman anyways? Falcon's aren't expect to do much this year regardless of who's in at QB. Why not give the future franchise QB the experience so when the team gets better year after year, Ryan will be well seasoned and ready.

Aside from it all, I think Ryan truly did earn his spot. Had we drafted Flacco, Brohm, or Henne as many has suggested, Redman probably would be starting week 1.

Just imagine we pick Dorsey 1st (who's already injured up there in KC) and Brohm in the 2nd round. The typical Falcons draft of the pass - a 1st round bust and a 2nd round disappointment.

Umm Derek Anderson is 25 Quinn is 23. Ryan is 22, Redman is in his thirties. I fail to see the correlation. Brett Favre Aaron Rodgers would be a better comparsion.

Redman is the same age as Brady and Manning. No one is calling them old, saying they need to draft another QB. Redman is barely 30, showed his skill, without the extra football wear. Similar to Turner, where he showed his skill, and isn't all nicked up because he wasn't the starter. Just saying is all. We could theoretically ride Redman out another 5 years.

Woops, just cracked 31 last month. Not old for a QB. And considering the age of most successful QB's, he's right there.

What's wrong with winning? Having two promising QB's is actually a good thing.

imo the reason ryan is starting has to do with how the o-line has played & how hes shown hes a real qb that doesnt have to be coddled because he has the ambition & work ethic to be successful....& as far as brady quinn...hes looked terrible in his 2nd year in that offence during preseason.....tampa might need another qb though

That's not the real reason, the REAL reason they're starting ryan is because they want a QB who can wins games.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya'!

:rolleyes:

Sorry dude but Ryan earned his start this pre season. He was easily the best QB on the field. If Ryan did not get the start it would have been against the idea of open competition. He earned it and deserved to start.

If he can't handle being a starter it's better to find out now than later. I think the coaches and managment have realistic expectations for Ryan so he will be given the time to work through our offense.