The Braves have apparently traded Mark Kotsay.

jidady

Does anyone know what we got for him? ESPN doesn't have it.

The Red Sox have had production issues in the outfield, and then they lost one of their best bats on Tuesday. They may be addressing those issues.

Sources told ESPN's Peter Gammons and ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Tuesday that the team is on the verge of acquiring center fielder Mark Kotsay from the Atlanta Braves.

Boston is talking to Kotsay, who was held out of the Braves lineup on Tuesday, about his limited no-trade clause. ESPN.com has learned that Kotsay cleared waivers earlier this month, so the Braves can trade him to any team.

The 12-year veteran is batting .289 with six home runs and 37 RBIs this season. His on-base percentage is .338, compared to .319 for Red Sox center fielder Coco Crisp, who is batting .257.

A move for Kotsay could be in response to earlier news on Tuesday that right fielder J.D. Drew was heading to the disabled list with a lower back strain. The All-Star was batting .289 with 19 homers and 64 RBIs.

The Red Sox entered Tuesday's play 4½ games behind the first-place Tampa Bay Rays in the AL East. They held a 1½ game lead over the Minnesota Twins for the wild card.

I don't know how I missed this, but apparently Jason Heyward got moved up to Myrtle Beach. I must be living under a rock, because this is several days old.

In a way this surprises me. I figured the Braves would let him finish out the year at Rome, and jump him up to Mississippi for the start of next season. I hope he doesn't struggle in what is called a "pitcher-friendly" park at Myrtle Beach. I suppose Freddie Freeman probably isn't too far behind him.

I don't know how I missed this, but apparently Jason Heyward got moved up to Myrtle Beach. I must be living under a rock, because this is several days old.

In a way this surprises me. I figured the Braves would let him finish out the year at Rome, and jump him up to Mississippi for the start of next season. I hope he doesn't struggle in what is called a "pitcher-friendly" park at Myrtle Beach. I suppose Freddie Freeman probably isn't too far behind him.

good for Heyward I hope he does well so that he can go up to AA next year. I would not mind if they give him an invite to spring to let him get his feet wet too.

Okay, I have a question.

How the **** are teams still trading players? Why was all that hoopla made about the "trade deadline" if you can still trade players after it?

After the deadline, players have to clear waivers. Basically if a team wants to trade a player, all other teams have a chance to claim that guy. I don't really know how to explain it. I'm sure jidady could give you a better definition than that.

I believe the Red Sox claimed Brian Giles off of waivers just to prevent the Rays from getting him.

After the deadline, players have to clear waivers. Basically if a team wants to trade a player, all other teams have a chance to claim that guy. I don't really know how to explain it. I'm sure jidady could give you a better definition than that.

That's pretty much the crux of it. Any player can be traded through July 31st. From that point until August 31st, they cannot be traded unless they pass through waivers. If a team wants a player, they put in a waiver claim on him. If the team with his rights cannot work out terms with the claiming team, he is pulled back and cannot be traded to anyone else. So, teams can block guys in this manner. A player can actually be traded up until the final day of the season but anyone added after August 31st is ineligible for post-season play. The Braves did this a loooong time ago to claim Greg Maddux's personal catcher, Damon Berryhill, from the Cubs. A few years ago, some team traded for a guy just for one start, because they had a pitcher get injured and were tied for the last playoff spot.

And then he didnt approve the trade. You can tell he doesn't care about winning.

Brian Giles has a starting job in his home town for the team he grew up on. I'd rather be a Braves starter and fan favorite than go to a winning team as a bench player.

As for Kotsay, I'm glad he'll get a chance to play in the post season.

Dudes! We finally did something right and you guys missed it! Okay, honestly, I missed it at first as well. I was writing and my wife told me to look up. The Braves were celebrating, so I had to rewind. We were down 9-6 in the 9th but got back to 9-8. Kotsay came in as a pinch hitter and drew a walk to load the bases. There was one out and Gregor Blanco hit a ground ball that should have been a game ending double play. Kotsay slid hard into Hanley Ramirez and forced him to double clutch. He couldn't get the out at first, the game was tied 9-9 and Escobar came up. He hit a clean single to right field and we won after trailing by three runs in the 9th. It was awesome.

And I'm pretty sure Kotsay's hand got cleated by Ramirez on the play. So, it almost came back to bite us though Bobby said after the game that he's fine.

So I've missed the first Braves' cycle in over 20 years, as well as a miracle comeback in the 9th inning, which was made happen by a traded player that wasn't actually traded.

Let me get this straight.....again. I refused to miss a single inning of the first 100+ games, only to see bad baseball. I stop watching for a little over a week and I miss a cycle and a comeback win? I hate me.

If/when this happens, does this point towards a Sept. call-up for Schaefer? I thought for sure he would start the season at AAA and be a mid-year call-up next year.

So is Gregor Blanco our everyday CF, and let BJones play some LF? Or does Josh Anderson get a call-up?

If/when this happens, does this point towards a Sept. call-up for Schaefer? I thought for sure he would start the season at AAA and be a mid-year call-up next year.

So is Gregor Blanco our everyday CF, and let BJones play some LF? Or does Josh Anderson get a call-up?

I think they'll keep Schafer at Mississippi for the rest of the year. He's just starting to settle back in, and I don't see them rushing him up here right away; although I'd love to see him play.

As for Josh Anderson, I think he gives us basically what Gregor Blanco does, but with a higher average, much fewer walks, and not as good of a bunter.