Some very interesting ongoing battles

theProf

A team's final roster is composed of 53 players. Many NFL teams’ final rosters include 25 on Offense: (3QBs, 3 RBs, 2FBs, 5WRs, 3TEs, and 9 Offensive Linemen), 25 on Defense: (5CBs, 4Ss, 7LBs, and 9 Defensive Linemen) and 3 Special Teamers: (Punter, Kicker, Snapper). Of course, teams can and do vary from these position guidelines based upon their particular personnel and schemes. I was going to try and project the Falcons final roster, but I am reluctant to do so until after the last preseason game. I think that there are too many close battles still going on summarized as follows:

(1) #3 RB between Snelling and Brown.

(2) #2 FB between Snelling and McIntyre, if Brown gets #3 RB.

(3) #3 QB between Shockley and Harrington.

(4) #2 OC/OG between Stepanovich and Wilkerson ( I'm assuming Forney gets cut due to age, salary, and lack of versatility to play OC also. I think there is also a good possibility that Atlanta keeps only 8 OL instead of 9).

(5) #5 WR between Finneran and Jennings.

(6) #1 Punt Returner between Jennings and Douglas (If Jennings beats out Douglas for PR, then he probably makes the team. If Douglas wins PR, then I think Finneran wins #5WR position, and Jennings is cut. Atlanta could also go with 8 OL and go with 6WRs, which would include both Jennings and Finn, if Jennings wins PR battle).

(7) #5 CB between Irons and Fontenot (I think Blue Adams has won #4 CB).

(8) #2 SS between Stone and Deke Cooper.

(9) #7 LB I think Atlanta only keeps 6 LBs, and gives the extra position to a DB or DL. I don't think that either Pimental or Vaughn makes the squad. If Atlanta does go with 7 LBS, he will probably come from another Team's cut after the final preseason game.

(10) #2 NT between Moore and Tim Anderson.

(11) #2 UT between Stanley and Moorehead.

(12) DE/DT between Moorehead and Fraser, if Stanley beats out Moorehead for #2 UT. (I think Atlanta will probably go with at least 9 DLs: 4 DTs, and 4 DEs and at least 1 DE/DT swingman).

if i was picking i would chose...

(1) Brown

(2) Snelling

(3) Harrington (solely so Ryan can learn from his mistakes, and regardless what you say he has leadership qualities off the field, only guy on the roster who can understand the pressure Ryan is under)

(4) Stephanovich

(5) Finneran.

(6) Douglas

(7) Irons

(8) Stone

(9) #7 LB Hewill probably come from another Team’s cut after the final preseason game.

(10) Moore.

(11) Moorehead

(12) DE/DT between Moorehead and Fraser, if Stanley beats out Moorehead for #2 UT. (I think Atlanta will probably go with at least 9 DLs: 4 DTs, and 4 DEs and at least 1 DE/DT swingman).

There is no battle between Snelling and McIntyre, regardless of what Brown does.

Snelling hasnt gotten a snap @ FB since college. He isnt built to be an NFL fullback anymore, he has slimmed down to be a RB. If he were a FB it would be a recieving FB (think Justin Griffith), and thats not what we need. Mac is a 255 lb head slammer, which fits our scheme.

Snelling will be a NFL RB, whether its for the Falcons still remains to be seen though. We cant lose w/ either one as our #3 RB though IMO. We have GREAT depth @ RB.

if i was picking i would chose...

(1) Brown

(2) Snelling

(3) Harrington (solely so Ryan can learn from his mistakes, and regardless what you say he has leadership qualities off the field, only guy on the roster who can understand the pressure Ryan is under)(4) Stephanovich

(5) Finneran.

(6) Douglas

(7) Irons

(8) Stone

(9) #7 LB Hewill probably come from another Team’s cut after the final preseason game.

(10) Moore.

(11) Moorehead

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.... <_< Ryan is leaps and bounds ahead of Harrington....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz -_-

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.... <_< Ryan is leaps and bounds ahead of Harrington....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz -_-

im not talking about on the field....

im talking about the fact that Harrington much like Ryan was paid an insane sallary and asked to save a franchise... he screwed up, if nothing else Ryan can learn from Joeys mistakes...

is Joey better/as good as ryan? NOT EVEN CLOE

you completely misunderstood my idea for wanting him around

There is no battle between Snelling and McIntyre, regardless of what Brown does.

Snelling hasnt gotten a snap @ FB since college. He isnt built to be an NFL fullback anymore, he has slimmed down to be a RB. If he were a FB it would be a recieving FB (think Justin Griffith), and thats not what we need. Mac is a 255 lb head slammer, which fits our scheme.

Snelling will be a NFL RB, whether its for the Falcons still remains to be seen though. We cant lose w/ either one as our #3 RB though IMO. We have GREAT depth @ RB.

I agree that Snelling is not really a power FB. Matter of fact, I have stated that opinion in a current topic thread that I started as follows:

"Most likely, Atlanta will keep only 3RBs and 2FBs. Turner and Norwood are locks at RB, and Ovie is a lock at FB. That leaves FB McIntyre, RB/FB Snelling, and RB Brown vying for the two remaining roster spots.

Some people have suggested keeping both Snelling and Brown, and cutting McIntyre, with Snelling serving as the back-up FB and RB. However, I seriously doubt that Atlanta will play Snelling at the FB position. Even though he played FB some in college, he is not a pro-type FB, especially for a power-running scheme. A power scheme requires a big powerful FB with great blocking skills, almost like a glorified OG in the backfield. Ovie at 245 pounds and McIntyre at 258 pounds are much more typical of a power-scheme pro FB, than Snelling at 229 pounds. Since the blocking FB is a much more integral part of the power scheme, a team needs two good blocking power FBs, in case the starter is injured.

Snelling is a nice sized pro RB, but not a pro FB. If Snelling were to play FB in the NFL, he would be much better suited in a West Coast scheme instead of a power scheme. Snelling reminds me somewhat of Justin Griffith, who was allowed to leave in FA by the Falcons after Ovie was signed, because Griffith wasn’t a good fit for a power scheme FB. McIntyre is much bigger and a better power blocker than Snelling, and is thus better suited for the power running scheme. Also McIntyre is an ace on the special teams, being named ST captain last season. If Snelling makes the roster, I think he will have to beat out Brown for the #3 RB position, rather than as the #2 FB."

However, many people think that Snelling could be the Falcons #2 FB, and I won't completely rule-out that possibility, although I think it is unlikely. BTW my complete topic thread on the RB dilemma linked as follows:

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=3798044

(1) #3 RB - I would keep Brown. Provides KR duties, so Norwood can concentrate solely on offense

(2) #2 FB - McIntyre has this one locked up. I don't see it being between him and Snelling. Snelling hasn't even taken a snap at FB, and McIntyre excels on ST's.

(3) #3 QB - I see this going to Harrington because of Shockley's horrendous performance this preseason.

(4) #2 OC/OG - I think we keep Stepanovich. If it wasn't for his injury, I don't think we'd even have this as a competition.

(5) #5 WR - I read we might keep 6 WR's. I hope this is true because I don't want to lose Finneran over Jennings. I know the coaches like Jennings for PR duties, so if we keep 5, I think they might go with him. I hope not though. Finn is a more reliable receiver and also good on ST's.

(6) #1 PR - I think Jennings wins this battle with Douglas being the backup PR.

(7) #5 CB - This is a tough one. Both have shown a willingness to hit and get dirty on ST's.

(8) #2 SS - Stone won this with his ST play in my opinion.

(9) #7 LB - I don't think we keep 7 LBers. We have our 6 locked in my opinion.

(10) #2 NT - Moore.

(11) #2 UT - Moorehead.

(12) DE/DT - I don't think we keep 9 DL. Davis and Biermann I think have earned the backup spots. Along with Bab's, Jackson, Abraham, and Anderson starting, there's only room for two more in my opinion and they are noted above. If we do 9 DL for some reason, I agree Fraser makes the cut.

(1) #3 RB - I would keep Brown. Provides KR duties, so Norwood can concentrate solely on offense

(2) #2 FB - McIntyre has this one locked up. I don't see it being between him and Snelling. Snelling hasn't even taken a snap at FB, and McIntyre excels on ST's.

(3) #3 QB - I see this going to Harrington because of Shockley's horrendous performance this preseason.

(4) #2 OC/OG - I think we keep Stepanovich. If it wasn't for his injury, I don't think we'd even have this as a competition.

(5) #5 WR - I read we might keep 6 WR's. I hope this is true because I don't want to lose Finneran over Jennings. I know the coaches like Jennings for PR duties, so if we keep 5, I think they might go with him. I hope not though. Finn is a more reliable receiver and also good on ST's.

(6) #1 PR - I think Jennings wins this battle with Douglas being the backup PR.

(7) #5 CB - This is a tough one. Both have shown a willingness to hit and get dirty on ST's.

(8) #2 SS - Stone won this with his ST play in my opinion.

(9) #7 LB - I don't think we keep 7 LBers. We have our 6 locked in my opinion.

(10) #2 NT - Moore.

(11) #2 UT - Moorehead.

(12) DE/DT - I don't think we keep 9 DL. Davis and Biermann I think have earned the backup spots. Along with Bab's, Jackson, Abraham, and Anderson starting, there's only room for two more in my opinion and they are noted above. If we do 9 DL for some reason, I agree Fraser makes the cut.

Pzummo

Pzummo (and Rodhands earlier) I appreciate your willingness to make some early predictions on these ongoing battles. I might post my preliminary predictions a little later, but I'm subject to change my preliminary projections after the last preseason game.

right cause theres a lot more Ryan can learn from Shockley than from harrington... sigh..i thought you turned away from the dark side but clearly it still has a hold on you. i know you didnt mention shockley in this post but its obvious your still holding out for him to make the team. Shockley loving turns to ignorance, ignorance to fear, fear to anger, anger to the dark side!

i think cooper is a lock, and stone is battleing harris for the back up SS spot, unless both are let go for someone after cuts.

I beginning to think that perhaps Atlanta might go with 5 CBs and 5 Ss on the final roster. They could do this if they only carry 6 LBs, rather than the normal 7. Also DImi is reported as saying that it is hard to have too many Safeties on a team's roster. If Atlanta does go with 5 Ss, then I think the final two spots will be between Deke Cooper, Stone, and Harris. I think that Harris will probably be the odd man out. He does have some versatility in that he can play NB, FS, and is good on special teams. However, I think his ability and potential at Safety is a good bit less than Cooper and Stone. In one preseason game this season, I saw Harris whiff on two different tackles. I thought to myself, you just can't have a safety that misses two open-field tackles like he did in that game.

I beginning to think that perhaps Atlanta might go with 5 CBs and 5 Ss on the final roster. They could do this if they only carry 6 LBs, rather than the normal 7. Also DImi is reported as saying that it is hard to have too many Safeties on a team's roster. If Atlanta does go with 5 Ss, then I think the final two spots will be between Deke Cooper, Stone, and Harris. I think that Harris will probably be the odd man out. He does have some versatility in that he can play NB, FS, and is good on special teams. However, I think his ability and potential at Safety is a good bit less than Cooper and Stone. In one preseason game this season, I saw Harris whiff on two different tackles. I thought to myself, you just can't have a safety that misses two open-field tackles like he did in that game.

Agreed on Harris. He hurt his chances alot. Stone has been killing, and Harris isnt keeping pace w him.

I dont Think Kynan Forney will get cut.......We will still need a good backup behing Dahl and Blalock..... if any team knows about O-Lineman getting injured ....Its us.....I know we have Tyson Clabo but Weiner comeback is not 100%

PFW Whispers

The Falcons are easing ORT Todd Weiner along in the hopes he’ll be prepared to anchor down the right side of the O-line by Week One, but we hear the team isn’t counting on him being absolutely healthy this season. Weiner is recovering from major knee surgery, and it’s not yet clear how he’ll hold up. If he’s able to play, he helps Atlanta’s young, inexperienced line immensely. Tyson Clabo has been running with the first-team offense during Weiner’s absence.

We need Forney as a insurance guy

I dont Think Kynan Forney will get cut.......We will still need a good backup behing Dahl and Blalock..... if any team knows about O-Lineman getting injured ....Its us.....I know we have Tyson Clabo but Weiner comeback is not 100%

We need Forney as a insurance guy

Ojinnaka can also play back-up OT/OG, just like Clabo. Also the back-up Center, either Stepanovich or Wilkerson, can back-up either OG position also. Forney has not been the same player since his shoulder problems two seasons ago. His cap hit is also scheduled at almost $3m this season, if he makes the roster. He did not even play at all in the last and most important preseason game. I think Forney is a goner.

My preliminary predictions indicated in red. I reserve the right to change my mind after the last preseason game.

(1) #3 RB between Snelling and Brown. Snelling

(2) #2 FB between Snelling and McIntyre, if Brown gets #3 RB. McIntyre

(3) #3 QB between Shockley and Harrington. Harrington

(4) #2 OC/OG between Stepanovich and Wilkerson ( I'm assuming Forney gets cut due to age, salary, and lack of versatility to play OC also. I think there is also a good possibility that Atlanta keeps only 8 OL instead of 9). Stepanovich

(5) #5 WR between Finneran and Jennings. Finneran

(6) #1 Punt Returner between Jennings and Douglas (If Jennings beats out Douglas for PR, then he probably makes the team. If Douglas wins PR, then I think Finneran wins #5WR position, and Jennings is cut. Atlanta could also go with 8 OL and go with 6WRs, which would include both Jennings and Finn, if Jennings wins PR battle). Jennings. Atlanta goes with 6 WRs, by limiting OL to only 8 players.

(7) #5 CB between Irons and Fontenot (I think Blue Adams has won #4 CB). Irons

(8) #2 SS between Stone and Deke Cooper. Both Stone and Cooper. Atlanta goes with 5 Safeties, by limiting LBs to only 6 players.

(9) #7 LB I think Atlanta only keeps 6 LBs, and gives the extra position to a DB or DL. I don't think that either Pimental or Vaughn makes the squad. If Atlanta does go with 7 LBS, he will probably come from another Team's cut after the final preseason game. See above, Atlanta goes with 6 LBs and adds an extra Safety

(10) #2 NT between Moore and Tim Anderson. Moore

(11) #2 UT between Stanley and Moorehead. Stanley

(12) DE/DT between Moorehead and Fraser, if Stanley beats out Moorehead for #2 UT. (I think Atlanta will probably go with at least 9 DLs: 4 DTs, and 4 DEs and at least 1 DE/DT swingman). Moorehead

I'm just glad to see we have all of these talented players fighting over spots. This just shows that we may have a pretty talented team.

I don't know if I would go quite as far as saying that the roster battles among talented players indicate that we have a "talented" team per se. I will say that there is certainly an indication that the Falcons are an "Improved" team over last season.

Seriously, we aren't going to give Jennings a spot over Finn are we? I will very upset if we do that. Finn can play, Jennings calls for fair catches.

Great insight. I don't see anyone being GIVEN a spot. If he is a Falcon, he earned it and if you are a fan, deal with it.

Final cuts are in, and a few surprises. A recap of my position battles and final outcomes noted in blue as follows:

(1) #3 RB between Snelling and Brown. Snelling makes the roster, while Brown is placed on injured reserve for the season.

(2) #2 FB between Snelling and McIntyre, if Brown gets #3 RB. Snelling makes roster as #3 RB, and McIntyre makes roster as #2 FB.

(3) #3 QB between Shockley and Harrington. Shockley wins roster spot as #3 QB, and Harrington is cut.

(4) #2 OC/OG between Stepanovich and Wilkerson ( I'm assuming Forney gets cut due to age, salary, and lack of versatility to play OC also. I think there is also a good possibility that Atlanta keeps only 8 OL instead of 9). Both Stepanovich and Wilkerson make the final roster. Forney is cut as predicted.

(5) #5 WR between Finneran and Jennings. Both Finneran and Jennings make final roster.

(6) #1 Punt Returner between Jennings and Douglas (If Jennings beats out Douglas for PR, then he probably makes the team. If Douglas wins PR, then I think Finneran wins #5WR position, and Jennings is cut. Atlanta could also go with 8 OL and go with 6WRs, which would include both Jennings and Finn, if Jennings wins PR battle). Jennings wins PR job and roster spot. Atlanta keeps 6 WRs including Finn and Jennings.

(7) #5 CB between Irons and Fontenot (I think Blue Adams has won #4 CB). Irons earns the roster spot, and Fontenot is cut.

(8) #2 SS between Stone and Deke Cooper. Both Stone and Cooper get cut, while longshot (to me anyway) Antoine Harris makes the roster. This was one of the biggest roster surprises to me.

(9) #7 LB I think Atlanta only keeps 6 LBs, and gives the extra position to a DB or DL. I don't think that either Pimental or Vaughn makes the squad. If Atlanta does go with 7 LBS, he will probably come from another Team's cut after the final preseason game. Atlanta only keeps 6 LBs, with both Pimental or Vaughn being cut.

(10) #2 NT between Moore and Tim Anderson. Tim Anderson intially makes roster, while Moore gets cut. Atlanta later cuts Anderson and signs Jason Jefferson after he is cut by the Bills.

(11) #2 UT between Stanley and Moorehead. Moorehead wins the roster spot, and Stanley gets cut.

(12) DE/DT between Moorehead and Fraser, if Stanley beats out Moorehead for #2 UT. (I think Atlanta will probably go with at least 9 DLs: 4 DTs, and 4 DEs and at least 1 DE/DT swingman). Moorehead wins roster spot over Stanley, and Fraser also earns roster spot as back-up DE/DT.:

Another roster surprise to me was that Rader won the #3 TE spot over recently signed Marcus Pollard. I didn't think there was even a battle for #3 TE, as I thought Pollard had a lock on a roster spot.

(10) #2 NT between Moore and Tim Anderson. Tim Anderson intially makes roster, while Moore gets cut. Atlanta later cuts Anderson and signs Jason Jefferson after he is cut by the Bills.

An article on Atlanta's most recent roster signing, Jason Jefferson, after he signed a one year tender with the Bills in March:

Jefferson signs one-year tender

Jason Jefferson (Getty Images) By Tyler Dunne

BFR Publisher

Posted Mar 26, 2008

Jefferson appeared in 11 games last year on injury-ravaged defense.

The Buffalo Bills re-signed restricted free agent, Jason Jefferson and two others Tuesday, on the first day of the team's voluntary off-season conditioning program.

The defensive tackle Jefferson signed a one-year tender with the Bills. As a restricted free agent he could have received an offer from another team with Buffalo having a chance to match. But after the free agent frenzy came and went, Jefferson stayed put.

The three-year pro made 11 tackles (seven solo) last season in 11 games, occasionally filling in on an injury-depleted defense. Jefferson, a former standout at Wisconsin, was drafted in the 2005 sixth round by New Orleans.

Considering Buffalo added defensive tackles Marcus Stroud and Spencer Johnson this offseason, it may be difficult for Jefferson to see as much action as he did last year. Also in the mix at DT are former first round pick, John McCargo, and '07 starter Kyle Williams.

http://buf.scout.com/2/740783.html

(1) #3 RB between Snelling and Brown. Snelling makes the roster, while Brown is placed on injured reserve for the season.

(2) #2 FB between Snelling and McIntyre, if Brown gets #3 RB. Snelling makes roster as #3 RB, and McIntyre makes roster as #2 FB.

I still wonder what would have happened in the Falcons offensive backfield, if Brown had not been injured in the last preseason game and placed on injured reserve for the season. Would Snelling have beaten out Brown or vice-versa for a roster spot, or would the Falcons have kept both Snelling and Brown and cut McIntyre? We will never know for sure.

An article on Atlanta's most recent roster signing, Jason Jefferson, after he signed a one year tender with the Bills in March:

Jefferson signs one-year tender

Jason Jefferson (Getty Images) By Tyler Dunne

BFR Publisher

Posted Mar 26, 2008

Jefferson appeared in 11 games last year on injury-ravaged defense.

The Buffalo Bills re-signed restricted free agent, Jason Jefferson and two others Tuesday, on the first day of the team's voluntary off-season conditioning program.

The defensive tackle Jefferson signed a one-year tender with the Bills. As a restricted free agent he could have received an offer from another team with Buffalo having a chance to match. But after the free agent frenzy came and went, Jefferson stayed put.

The three-year pro made 11 tackles (seven solo) last season in 11 games, occasionally filling in on an injury-depleted defense. Jefferson, a former standout at Wisconsin, was drafted in the 2005 sixth round by New Orleans.

Considering Buffalo added defensive tackles Marcus Stroud and Spencer Johnson this offseason, it may be difficult for Jefferson to see as much action as he did last year. Also in the mix at DT are former first round pick, John McCargo, and '07 starter Kyle Williams.

http://buf.scout.com/2/740783.html

that dude was stuck behind

an allpro

a first round pick

and

2 starter calibre DTs

maybe a find by Tommy

A team's final roster is composed of 53 players. Many NFL teams’ final rosters include 25 on Offense: (3QBs, 3 RBs, 2FBs, 5WRs, 3TEs, and 9 Offensive Linemen), 25 on Defense: (5CBs, 4Ss, 7LBs, and 9 Defensive Linemen) and 3 Special Teamers: (Punter, Kicker, Snapper). Of course, teams can and do vary from these position guidelines based upon their particular personnel and schemes. I was going to try and project the Falcons final roster, but I am reluctant to do so until after the last preseason game. I think that there are too many close battles still going on summarized as follows:

(1) #3 RB between Snelling and Brown.

(2) #2 FB between Snelling and McIntyre, if Brown gets #3 RB.

(3) #3 QB between Shockley and Harrington.

(4) #2 OC/OG between Stepanovich and Wilkerson ( I'm assuming Forney gets cut due to age, salary, and lack of versatility to play OC also. I think there is also a good possibility that Atlanta keeps only 8 OL instead of 9).

(5) #5 WR between Finneran and Jennings.

(6) #1 Punt Returner between Jennings and Douglas (If Jennings beats out Douglas for PR, then he probably makes the team. If Douglas wins PR, then I think Finneran wins #5WR position, and Jennings is cut. Atlanta could also go with 8 OL and go with 6WRs, which would include both Jennings and Finn, if Jennings wins PR battle).

(7) #5 CB between Irons and Fontenot (I think Blue Adams has won #4 CB).

(8) #2 SS between Stone and Deke Cooper.

(9) #7 LB I think Atlanta only keeps 6 LBs, and gives the extra position to a DB or DL. I don't think that either Pimental or Vaughn makes the squad. If Atlanta does go with 7 LBS, he will probably come from another Team's cut after the final preseason game.

(10) #2 NT between Moore and Tim Anderson.

(11) #2 UT between Stanley and Moorehead.

I'm a Brown fan but, unfortunately he was placed on IR and is gone for the entire season! :angry: