9yr-old Told He's Too Good To Pitch

1968again

9-year-old boy told he's too good to pitch

By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN

Associated Press Writer

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player — too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

"He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

"I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

"I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

"Facing that kind of speed" is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

"I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

___

This is a wonderful thing that these parents and coaches are teaching their children.

"Hey, don't worry about facing people who are better than you are - we'll just remove them and if we can't, we'll just quit!"

These poor kids are in for a rude awakening when they get to the real world and realize that no one's going to make things fair for them. And it will be their parents' fault for not educating them on what life's really like.

I just don't understand this mentality.

Direwolf

This is the kind of thinking that the PC "everyone is a winner" has wrought. It's one thing to let a bunch a 4-year olds run around kicking a soccer ball without worrying about what the score happens to be. But by 9 years old, kids need to be taught that life is competitive and some days you are going to lose. Refusing to participate for fear of losing is a horrible lesson to teach a child and the coaches should be ashamed.

This is the stupidest thing I've read this year. They are 9 years old let the kids play. Whoever this coach is "the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators." Needs to be investigated. I hate when the Adults take more stock in the games then the kids do.

Such thinking goes all the way up to pro competition.

Look at Nascar. If one team or brand is faster than the other, they make rules to slow them down. It's not about who can go the fastest because their team, engine program and driver is better..it's about slowing everyone down to give everyone a fair shot. IDIOCY and a loogy in the face of fair and real competition.

They dummify tests in schools so what is so surprising about wussifying competition?

Such thinking goes all the way up to pro competition.

Look at Nascar. If one team or brand is faster than the other, they make rules to slow them down. It's not about who can go the fastest because their team, engine program and driver is better..it's about slowing everyone down to give everyone a fair shot. IDIOCY and a loogy in the face of fair and real competition.

They dummify tests in schools so what is so surprising about wussifying competition?

usually i agree with you, but not this time. in NASCAR they are making sure the tools (the cars) are even. You cant compare this situation to that unless the kid was using a lighter baseball to get more velocity and they were forcing him to use a heavier one per league rules

its not like they make Willie Parker strap ankle weights on before the games to slow him down....or make Peyton Manning use a helmet that allows less vision to bring him down to average

Yay for the womanization of sports!

The youth sporting world consists of two types of people. Overprotective soccer moms that think playing sports should be just like playing board games, and overachieving fathers that view their children as investments and care about them getting a scholarship more than they do they kid having fun.

If your kid isn't good enough to get a hit off of him they aren't good enough to get a hit off of them. Convincing them otherwise isn't going to do any good.

usually i agree with you, but not this time. in NASCAR they are making sure the tools (the cars) are even. You cant compare this situation to that unless the kid was using a lighter baseball to get more velocity and they were forcing him to use a heavier one per league rules

its not like they make Willie Parker strap ankle weights on before the games to slow him down....or make Peyton Manning use a helmet that allows less vision to bring him down to average

So if they want all the cars to be the same, why not drive Iroc cars?Why fly under some false pretense that this is a Ford, Chevy, Toyota etc? If they want them all the same, at least do away with that BS. I think they need to put the STOCK back in STOCK car, then I would respect them again.

NASCAR is ridiculous because it cannot even keep a set of rules through one season. How many sports change rules two or three times after the season is underway?

So if they want all the cars to be the same, why not drive Iroc cars?Why fly under some false pretense that this is a Ford, Chevy, Toyota etc? If they want them all the same, at least do away with that BS. I think they need to put the STOCK back in STOCK car, then I would respect them again.

NASCAR is ridiculous because it cannot even keep a set of rules through one season. How many sports change rules two or three times after the season is underway?

well i cant say I like NASCAR anyway...I just think you comparison isnt fair :lol:

Yay for the womanization of sports!

The youth sporting world consists of two types of people. Overprotective soccer moms that think playing sports should be just like playing board games, and overachieving fathers that view their children as investments and care about them getting a scholarship more than they do they kid having fun.

If your kid isn't good enough to get a hit off of him they aren't good enough to get a hit off of them. Convincing them otherwise isn't going to do any good.

That's B.S. Sure, those people are out there, but the majority are just normal parents who want to see their kids compete, and stay healthy. They'll support them when they lose and congratulate them when they win.

I for one, if my kid was being sent off the field as a part of a forfeiting team, would send him back out to hit on his own, and call out the other parents for turning their kids into pansies. ...at least I like to think I would. I'd definitely do what I could to have the coach removed, and not let him play for that coach the following season.

I feel bad for the kid he is being punished for having a talent. Most true coaches try to work with talent to make it better. I also believe the only real way to get better is to play against better competition so these parents. kids, and coaches should take this a chance to get better. The league itself should be held accountable for its actions against this child. They have afford him to move up but they have not mentioned the other facets of his game does his hitting and fielding make it wise to move up or would he be overwhelmed. The only other thing I could tell his parents is to move him to a travel team where the real ball players go when the want to play real baseball not this make believe BS little league that they play on the TV.

What brand of pus*ies are we trying to raise in this country?

Ridiculous.

the schools are being changed to same way. no kid left behind so they slow the really smarts one down so that the slow ones can keep up. the kids grow up thinking the world is fair and then they find out the a job requires the job done and do not care if you are left behind or not.

the schools are being changed to same way. no kid left behind so they slow the really smarts one down so that the slow ones can keep up. the kids grow up thinking the world is fair and then they find out the a job requires the job done and do not care if you are left behind or not.

One of my co-worker's kids calls it "No ****** Left Behind". :D

I saw evidence of that during my college days. It wasn't that hard to get admitted into my college, but I noticed that alot of the young students/freshmen failing out because they couldn't keep up with the subject matter.

A class would start out with 40 or more students and we'd have around 20-25 before we hit mid-terms.

One of my co-worker's kids calls it "No ****** Left Behind". :D

I saw evidence of that during my college days. It wasn't that hard to get admitted into my college, but I noticed that alot of the young students/freshmen failing out because they couldn't keep up with the subject matter.

A class would start out with 40 or more students and we'd have around 20-25 before we hit mid-terms.

Thats pretty ignorant of that kid to call it "no ******* left behind"