Do they keep six wide receivers?

P-Dub

Coach Smith talked yesterday about how Jennings have "pulled ahead" and "separated himself" in the battle against Douglas for the PR job.

I would be surprised to hear a coach talk like that and then cut a guy, so I'm thinking Jennings WILL make the final 53.

Yea, that's going to be the hardest decision to make before the final roster is set. Finn has had a pretty strong camp and pre-season, but you can't deny the upside that H. Douglas brings. Jennings being the front runner for punt returns, makes it tough. The biggest question will be, is Jennings that much better than Douglas in the return game, that it would make up for how much better a WR Finn is than Jennings! I would forfiet a little in the return game in order to keep the better 4th/5th WR on the roster, a big target like Finn could really help out our young QB when under pressure on 3 and long!

Kev

off subject but on subject, i think it was game against colts, which receiver was it ryan was trying to throw to near side line, when it was intercepted? whoever it was probably lost oints by just sitting down instead of going to the ball. my two cents.

It was Finneran, but that wasn't a good throw and both the QB and the coach say that. Hard to blame Finneran for the ball getting there late.

Also, bear in mind that when that INT happened, Finneran was at least ON THE FIELD! Jennings hasn't gotten in as a receiver except in garbage time. If a guy is labelled as a receiver on the roster, that's what I want him to be able to do first and foremost!

Direwolf

Jennings is gone.

He doesn't even see the field as a regular WR that much, if at all. His only job can't be just returning punts, which he sucks at. His little performance last week didn't impress me. Look at his overall body of work. Not impressive at all.

It was Finneran, but that wasn't a good throw and both the QB and the coach say that. Hard to blame Finneran for the ball getting there late.

Also, bear in mind that when that INT happened, Finneran was at least ON THE FIELD! Jennings hasn't gotten in as a receiver except in garbage time. If a guy is labelled as a receiver on the roster, that's what I want him to be able to do first and foremost!

Direwolf

When he does get on the field he does the job though. Who's block in the slot broke Brown for the TD? If we are going to pund the ball, that is what our WR need to do.

Jennings is gone.

He doesn't even see the field as a regular WR that much, if at all. His only job can't be just returning punts, which he sucks at. His little performance last week didn't impress me. Look at his overall body of work. Not impressive at all.

Totally agree. Getting two good punt returns does not impress me when you really haven't done crap for two years... especially if you run east and west instead of north. I trust TD and Smitty to make the right choice though, they have done pretty good so far.

When he does get on the field he does the job though. Who's block in the slot broke Brown for the TD? If we are going to pund the ball, that is what our WR need to do.

So, wait, he gets one good block in garbage time against subs (but can't get on the field as a receiver with the first team to save his life) and has two good punt returns out of God knows how many and that's enough to keep him over a guy with starting experience who has been productive as a receiver with the starters AND is a good tackler on special teams? Oh, and Finneran has proven that he's money in the red zone over the years with his height and toughness.

Yeah, I'd go with Finneran.

But I'm not making the call, so...

Direwolf

Oh, and by the way, Finneran is one of the best blocking receivers in football. Has been for years. God only knows how many times he sprung Vick and Dunn for extra yardage with a key downfield block.

Direwolf

I thought the same thing when I first read that quote from Smitty. But Finn is a big target we might need in the red zone and he contributes on ST 's, he had a good game against the Titans also including that nice tackle on kickoff coverage.

BFinn > Jennings IMO

Im not gonna pic a favorite, playing favorites is what put us in this postion in the first place.

But also remember Smith said all qbs would have a start, its a very fluid depth chart at this point.

Did coach Smith say all 4 QB's would start or did he say all 4 would get time with the 1st team?

There is a big difference there. Going into preseason, there is a standard procedure that is followed:

Game 1 - starters play a couple of series

Game 2 - starters usually play a quarter (Harrington had 2 series)

Game 3 - starters play into the 1st series of the 3rd quarter

Game 4 - only very few starters play & then it's usually only 1 or 2 series

There was really very little game time to get all 4 QB's into a game as a starter. The 4th on the depth chart was going to be in game 4 anyway with a mix of starters & backups. It was pretty obvious going in that whoever was 4th by preseason game 2 wouldn't really have a game starting with a full lineup of starting players.

IMO, what coach Smith was saying is that all 4 QB's would be given time with the starters while running practices, and that happened. 1 guy really separated himself in both game & practice situations (Harrington), and one guy didn't do anything to change his roster position (Shockley). I think Smith went in with an open mind about the QB position, and those who earned starts in practice, got starts in the preseason games.

I would say that Jennings will probably be gone because with a rebuilding year like this one, Ryan is going to need a tall, veteran receiver to help him out (especially in goal line situations). I'm sorry, but Jennings has yet to return a punt for a TD...therefore, he is equal with Douglas and Brown IMO. Jennings just does not produce.

Am I the only person who would rather see Jenkins cut than Finneran or Jennings? At least those guys give us something on special teams.

Whenever Jenkins is on the field, I always hope that whoever the QB is will throw somewhere else. I just don't trust him anymore...

Dude, I know perception equals reality around here, but Jenkins caught 53 passes last year and is also an excellent blocker. Finn's best season totalled 56 catches and Jennings is an all around joke.

Yea, that's going to be the hardest decision to make before the final roster is set. Finn has had a pretty strong camp and pre-season, but you can't deny the upside that H. Douglas brings. Jennings being the front runner for punt returns, makes it tough. The biggest question will be, is Jennings that much better than Douglas in the return game, that it would make up for how much better a WR Finn is than Jennings! I would forfiet a little in the return game in order to keep the better 4th/5th WR on the roster, a big target like Finn could really help out our young QB when under pressure on 3 and long!

Kev

As someone else said, I think Finn makes it as a WR long before Jennings does. But, Smith does seemed pleased with Jennings latest punt returns vs the Titans. How well we do this year is going to be determined by how well we run the ball, and how a rookie QB minimizes mistakes. For these two reasons alone, I think Finneran will be kept, whether or not Jennings is. He is already showing his ability to make those 3rd down conversions which we've had problems doing since the day he went down with the injury. I just hope this last game vs Baltimore is enough to get a concrete assessment of our punt returners (Brown or Jennings). We have a lot of guys that are cutable when it comes right down to it, but it will be difficult getting down to 53 IMHO. What it may boil down to is who is eligible and likely to stick on the practice squad. I think because of his size and lack of experience, Brown would clear waivers and make the PS. If Shockley has an average game vs Baltimore and doesn't do a tremendous amount to impress, he could make the PS also. At this point in his development, DJ is a tweener #2 or #3 QB, leaning more heavily to a #3. Most teams, like ourselves, won't find it easy getting to 53 players, and even harder getting down to 52 to make room for Shockley. I think Jennings could also make the PS, but I'm not sure if he is still eligible.

Am I the only person who would rather see Jenkins cut than Finneran or Jennings? At least those guys give us something on special teams.

Whenever Jenkins is on the field, I always hope that whoever the QB is will throw somewhere else. I just don't trust him anymore...

I think you may be there BH. Jenkins has moved ahead of everyone except White on the depth chart I believe, and I think it is because of his ability to catch that quick slant pass. He was getting very good at that before the unnamed one saw his way out, and I think the slant is going to be our bread and butter early on until Ryan gains some confidence. Ryan seems to prefer Jenkins for whatever reason thus far, and that could be a determining factor, but I think Jenkins making the team is a no-brainer at this point. I have noticed we've used that slant quite a bit and Smith has kept Ryan's pass attempts mainly inside the hash marks or right on the hash marks to allow him to stay away from the more difficult throws. Of course, there have been some out there, i.e., the INT return for a TD.

You need to come up with more than that.

He needs to come up with more than that.

WRs blocking downfield is a huge part of the game. It was one of the main reasons Reeves went with certain WRs as opposed to others that we all thought might be better. Finn is also one of our better players on the kickoff coverage unit. I think with his blocking, his kickoff coverage and his veteran experience will make him a keeper.

Nice thread and discussion everyone.

celtik

Flame suit on....

Where has Robinson been all preseason...

My hunch is he gets cut.... not from lack of talent but simply to make room.

He'll get picked up by another team or maybe even traded.

Smith will keep Jennings as a PR and Finn is a talented WR

Unless it's 6, Robinson is the odd man out....

Flame on!