One more, and hopefully last, definitive topic thread

theProf

There have been several recent topic threads concerning the Falcons RB situation, and who makes the Falcons final roster. I thought that I would start my own thread on this issue to hopefully put this discussion issue to rest, at least for the time being. Most likely, Atlanta will keep only 3RBs and 2FBs. Turner and Norwood are locks at RB, and Ovie is a lock at FB. That leaves FB McIntyre, RB/FB Snelling, and RB Brown vying for the two remaining roster spots.

Some people have suggested keeping both Snelling and Brown, and cutting McIntyre, with Snelling serving as the back-up FB and RB. However, I seriously doubt that Atlanta will play Snelling at the FB position. Even though he played FB some in college, he is not a pro-type FB, especially for a power-running scheme. A power scheme requires a big powerful FB with great blocking skills, almost like a glorified OG in the backfield. Ovie at 245 pounds and McIntyre at 258 pounds are much more typical of a power-scheme pro FB, than Snelling at 229 pounds. Since the blocking FB is a much more integral part of the power scheme, a team needs two good blocking power FBs, in case the starter is injured.

Snelling is a nice sized pro RB, but not a pro FB. If Snelling were to play FB in the NFL, he would be much better suited in a West Coast scheme instead of a power scheme. Snelling reminds me somewhat of Justin Griffith, who was allowed to leave in FA by the Falcons after Ovie was signed, because Griffith wasn’t a good fit for a power scheme FB. McIntyre is much bigger and a better power blocker than Snelling, and is thus better suited for the power running scheme. Also McIntyre is an ace on the special teams, being named ST captain last season. If Snelling makes the roster, I think he will have to beat out Brown for the #3 RB position, rather than as the #2 FB.

Both Snelling and Brown have been impressive at RB in the preseason thus far. I would hate for one of these not to make the final roster, but it appears that this will happen. Therefore, I really think that Snelling makes the final roster as the #3 RB, and Brown gets placed on the practice squad.

There is a risk that another team can sign to their active roster any player from another teams’ practice squad. However, I think that other teams would be more apt to sign Snelling to their active roster than Brown. Snelling has more impressive game film than Brown, and has an additional year pro experience. Snelling is much bigger than Brown, and he is more versatile than Brown, possibly being able to also play FB for a west coast scheme. Therefore, I think there is less risk for the Falcons in putting Brown on the practice squad than placing Snelling on the practice squad.

Snelling just seems to be a much better fit for Atlanta’s power running sheme than Brown at 200 pounds. Brown is more of a Norwood-type change-of-pace scatback, rather than a power back. If Turner were to get injured, Atlanta would need a power back to replace him. Snelling would be much better power back replacement than Brown. Brown reminds me somewhat of Warrick Dunn, who was let go by Atlanta mainly because he was not suited for the power running scheme that Atlanta wants to deploy.

Some have suggested that Brown could make the team as a kick-off and punt returner. First Brown has no experience whatsoever in returning punts. He did not return punts at Georgia, as that job was done by Mikey Henderson. Brown has not returned a punt in any preseason games, so I think using him at punt returner can be ruled out. Brown has college experience and is rather good at kick-off returns. However, he is not nearly as good as Norwood at KO returns. Since Norwood is not going to be the featured RB, he definitely needs to touch the ball in other ways, such as kick-off returns. Therefore I think Atlanta’s final roster is better with Snelling at the #3 RB, Norwood as the primary KO returner, and McIntyre as the #2 FB, rather than Brown at #3 RB and the primary KO returner and Snelling as the #2 FB.

Now before someone accuses me of being biased against former Georgia Bulldog players, let me say that I am a MBA graduate from UGA, and a long-time season ticket-holder of UGA football. Thomas Brown is a good football player, and will give you everything he has got. If anything my biasness would be toward Brown rather than Snelling. However, I believe that Snelling is a much better fit for the Atlanta Falcons.

We lost Griffith to Free Agency, not trade, but it's the same result.

I do agree with you, and I see it falling out like this as well, for much the same reasoning.

Robb you are absolutely correct on this point. I have edited the initial topic thread post to reflect this correction. I remember now that Griffith was signed by the Raiders in FA for what I thought was a meager amount for a former starting FB. Therefore, Atlanta could have resigned him rather cheaply, rather than pay Ovie the big bucks, had Atlanta thought that Griffith was suited for FB in a power running scheme.

I am more on the side of keeping Thomas Brown. He has been more productive running the ball than Snelling with the opportunities he's had. Snelling has rushed the ball 20 times for 71 yards, only 3.6 per carry, and hasn't found the endzone. Thomas Brown has produced 70 yards on 5 less carries, at 4.7 per carry, and found the endzone on one of them. He is also a good kick returner for special teams. Our third runningback is not likely to get play time at all, so the ST contribution does get some pretty heavy weight. But if he is going to get play time, it's going to be rushing the ball in a conservative offense, and Brown has been more consistent in this facet. Snelling looked great on his 47 yard reception, but he only has one other catch for 3 yards, so we can't expect that to be the norm.

I would rather keep both of them, but if we only keep one (which is the likely scenario), I have to go with Thomas Brown. He can return kickoffs, leaving Norwood more time to work on receiving and rushing (Norwood needs to be involved less in ST and more in the passing/rushing offense!!!!!!!!). He also has done extremely well and is very consistent rushing the ball. The biggest play came out of Snelling, but the most consistent play has come out of Thomas Brown.

All of this being said, I'm going to be pretty disappointed if/when either one is cut when I know there will be a worse football player making the team at a different position that doesn't have nearly as much depth...

Snelling is the better RB. Brown has not stood out, and certainly not enough to bump Snelling. Being a KR helps Brown's chances, as does coming from UGA, but ultimately he hasn't outperformed Snelling. Yes, I am aware of their preseason stats, but anyone can see that Snelling is the better RB.

I am more on the side of keeping Thomas Brown. He has been more productive running the ball than Snelling with the opportunities he's had. Snelling has rushed the ball 20 times for 71 yards, only 3.6 per carry, and hasn't found the endzone. Thomas Brown has produced 70 yards on 5 less carries, at 4.7 per carry, and found the endzone on one of them. He is also a good kick returner for special teams. Our third runningback is not likely to get play time at all, so the ST contribution does get some pretty heavy weight. But if he is going to get play time, it's going to be rushing the ball in a conservative offense, and Brown has been more consistent in this facet. Snelling looked great on his 47 yard reception, but he only has one other catch for 3 yards, so we can't expect that to be the norm.

I would rather keep both of them, but if we only keep one (which is the likely scenario), I have to go with Thomas Brown. He can return kickoffs, leaving Norwood more time to work on receiving and rushing (Norwood needs to be involved less in ST and more in the passing/rushing offense!!!!!!!!). He also has done extremely well and is very consistent rushing the ball. The biggest play came out of Snelling, but the most consistent play has come out of Thomas Brown.

All of this being said, I'm going to be pretty disappointed if/when either one is cut when I know there will be a worse football player making the team at a different position that doesn't have nearly as much depth...

Pzummo thanks for the preseason stats on both RBs. Didn't realize that they were so close in total yards, and woudn't have thought that Brown would have a higher yards per carry average than Snelling thus far. Brown definitely has some break-away abilities, which helps his yards per carry, but he will also have a good many no gains mixed in due to his small size. Whereas, I think Snelling is more of a grinder, positive yards on most every carry, type of RB.

Why has no one bashed him for giving stats? Everyone did that when you compared the QB's stats? I like Thomas Brown and I like Snelling but Snelling's the better back, fits the system, and has experience. Where as Brown has KR and PR which really hasn't stood out to me, he actually looks like jennings minus the fair catches and muffs. I mean if someones got the stats please show me but I can't recall him getting a punt return for more than 20 yards, or a kick return for 30 yards. And lastly if Turner goes down we'll need Snelling to fill the role of brusier more than we need Brown to fill the need of "change of pace" if Norwood went down.

Snelling is the better RB. Brown has not stood out, and certainly not enough to bump Snelling. Being a KR helps Brown's chances, as does coming from UGA, but ultimately he hasn't outperformed Snelling. Yes, I am aware of their preseason stats, but anyone can see that Snelling is the better RB.

Anyone can see they are very different running backs that bring much different traits to the table.

I am not sure how you can definitely say Snelling is the better RB.

One last thought on this issue of which RB makes the Falcons final roster. Snelling was drafted by the previous regime, whereas Brown was drafted by the new regime. That might possibly make a difference in the final decision, if both Brown and Snelling are virtually neck-in-neck at the end of preseason play.

Why has no one bashed him for giving stats? Everyone did that when you compared the QB's stats? I like Thomas Brown and I like Snelling but Snelling's the better back, fits the system, and has experience. Where as Brown has KR and PR which really hasn't stood out to me, he actually looks like jennings minus the fair catches and muffs. I mean if someones got the stats please show me but I can't recall him getting a punt return for more than 20 yards, or a kick return for 30 yards. And lastly if Turner goes down we'll need Snelling to fill the role of brusier more than we need Brown to fill the need of "change of pace" if Norwood went down.

I don't know why people are bashed for giving stats, ever... You make a fair point regarding the bruiser role which Snelling would help fill. Thomas Brown hasn't done any punt returns, he's only been doing kick returns. He has 7 for 149 yards. Nothing to brag about but nothing to snub at either. I don't agree about the better back thing though. Thomas Brown has been WAY more consistent than Snelling.

Snelling had 4 attempts for 32 yards (8.0 avg), 7 carries for -7 yards (-1 avg), and 9 carries for 46 yards (5.1 avg).

Brown had 4 carries for 19 yards (4.8 avg), 4 carries for 22 yards (4.5 avg), and 7 carries for 29 yards (4.1 avg) in those same games.

These show a tendency of consistency by Brown and inconsistency by Snelling. I looked at individual carries more closely and found this.

Snelling has 4 negative rushes on 20 carries.

Brown has 0 negative rushes on 15 carries.

Another thing I saw was that Snelling had more 10+ yard rushes, yet still lagged way behind in yards per carry. This is the opposite of what I thought when I saw how much higher Thomas Brown's ypc was. So this would imply we'd get more consistency from Thomas Brown, but potentially more big plays out of Snelling. Except the fact that Snelling hasn't hit the endzone yet.

Snelling has 3 rushes for 10+ yards.

Brown has 2 rushes for 10+ yards.

Like I said, I really like both players and I'd rather not see us cut either one. But Thomas Brown is the better rusher and special teamer. Higher ypc, way less negative plays, and way more consistent. I really hope we don't cut Snelling though, because I do think he's a good player.

I don't know why people are bashed for giving stats, ever... You make a fair point regarding the bruiser role which Snelling would help fill. Thomas Brown hasn't done any punt returns, he's only been doing kick returns. He has 7 for 149 yards. Nothing to brag about but nothing to snub at either. I don't agree about the better back thing though. Thomas Brown has been WAY more consistent than Snelling.

Snelling had 4 attempts for 32 yards (8.0 avg), 7 carries for -7 yards (-1 avg), and 9 carries for 46 yards (5.1 avg).

Brown had 4 carries for 19 yards (4.8 avg), 4 carries for 22 yards (4.5 avg), and 7 carries for 29 yards (4.1 avg) in those same games.

These show a tendency of consistency by Brown and inconsistency by Snelling. I looked at individual carries more closely and found this.

Snelling has 4 negative rushes on 20 carries.

Brown has 0 negative rushes on 15 carries.

Another thing I saw was that Snelling had more 10+ yard rushes, yet still lagged way behind in yards per carry. This is the opposite of what I thought when I saw how much higher Thomas Brown's ypc was. So this would imply we'd get more consistency from Thomas Brown, but potentially more big plays out of Snelling. Except the fact that Snelling hasn't hit the endzone yet.

Snelling has 3 rushes for 10+ yards.

Brown has 2 rushes for 10+ yards.

Like I said, I really like both players and I'd rather not see us cut either one. But Thomas Brown is the better rusher and special teamer. Higher ypc, way less negative plays, and way more consistent. I really hope we don't cut Snelling though, because I do think he's a good player.

yeah, that's why we can't JUST depend on stats, if you look at the game where snelling did bad there was no blocking and most everyone can agree to that.

pzummo, I'm in the Snelling camp, but you presented your argument for Brown very well, w/facts that supported that argument. I was clamoring for Snelling to get some playing time, long before they pulled him off the practice squad last year. Of course, I'm gladd Dunn got his 10K w/us, and realize that the whole team was a mess w/Pigtrino, but I think had he been able to play more last year, he'd be that much better this year. I'm willing to admit I could be wrong, and its all coulda, shoulda, woulda anyhow at this point.

At the end of the day, this is a FANTASTIC problem for the Falcons to have!! B)

EDIT: btw, great thread theProf!

I was told today that Brown was a lock, because of hie spec teams play, I reckon we will see, but you heard it here first :)

Err well it WAS secondhand information, this guy is usually right tho..

Does the individual who said this have any connections (direct or indirect) to the Falcons organization?

Does the individual who said this have any connections (direct or indirect) to the Falcons organization?

This guy works at an establishment near the Falcons complex and some of the players/coaches are in and out regularly, altho more so under the Mora regime

pzummo, I'm in the Snelling camp, but you presented your argument for Brown very well, w/facts that supported that argument. I was clamoring for Snelling to get some playing time, long before they pulled him off the practice squad last year. Of course, I'm gladd Dunn got his 10K w/us, and realize that the whole team was a mess w/Pigtrino, but I think had he been able to play more last year, he'd be that much better this year. I'm willing to admit I could be wrong, and its all coulda, shoulda, woulda anyhow at this point.

At the end of the day, this is a FANTASTIC problem for the Falcons to have!! B)

EDIT: btw, great thread theProf!

Thanks falconfoozball! I agree 100%, it's a great problem to have, I just really don't want to see us lose either one. I hope we find another place to trim the fat. Because both of these guys have a role they fill and can be contributors. I hate seeing us have to keep a lesser player because they fill a bigger need (*cough* Jennings *cough*)... If Jennings continues playing like he did this past week, that will be the best crow EVER!