Do those of you on the left like the Biden pick?

silentbob1272

For myself, I think Biden was the best of those on Obama's shortlist, but a couple of things still struck me as odd. Obama is the "Minister of Change" yet he picks the quintessential Washington Insider, I actually see Biden as engaged, and reasonably intelligent, but has a tendency to pop off too much. His trying to engage Alito in a serious intellectual sparring match during his confirmation was just comical...he needs to quickly learn his limitations as well as his strengths. I do think Obama missed a great opportunity in not picking Kathleen Sebelius, this would have gone a great distance in bringing the Hillary supporters back into the feminist fold, this is because Obama's key problem is that there is no gender gap. In the most recent Zogby poll, he runs only two points better among women than among men. A Democrat should be running 10 to 15 points better among women......it also opened a gaping wide opportunity for McCain to further cultivate this vote to his side....I now think it is a no-brainer that McCain should pick a woman; Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison would be a great choice or possibly Sarah Palin of Alaska..

What do you others say?

I don' t consider myself on the left but I am voting for Obama. I think its a good choice. You are right Biden has had a tendency to jump out to the forefront but overall the choice helps with those who question Obama's ability. Biden is definitely someone who brings more experience in with him. They will have to compromise though, but I assume they already know that.

As far as the female aspect, I don't think its that big of a deal. Yes Hillary made a huge push, but more often then not women have had to choose between men and they will continue to do so.

I think it´s a bad pick because it shows that Obama is more and more thinking like the political establishment. I don´t think that foreign policy will be nearly as big as it was in 2004. He should have chosen a VP candidate that would increase his advantage on domestic issues even more. Now McCain might be able to close that gap with a good VP choice.

Give it up guys, its going to be Leibermann.

As far as the Biden pick, he had to minimize the gap on his foreign policy experience.

I agree...and I'm glad he did. The recent issues in Georgia and Poland made me really think about Obama's lack of foreign policy experience.

I think it was a pretty good choice. If Obama had picked any woman other than Hillary, he would have pissed of a whole lot of female Hillary supporters (too big of a risk). I thought he was going to pick Kaine, but then Russia invaded Georgia, threatened Poland, mean mugging the Ukrainians. Yeah, he was about change, but got boxed in! Such is politics!

Biden is surprisingly liberal on many issues, somewhat fitting the mold of a classical Northeastern establishment liberal ala Ted Kennedy. While Biden brings some credibility in foreign policy, I was surprised he didn't go with someone who at least had a little military background as well (Jim Webb). Should Obama/Biden win the election, it would be the first administration (Pres/VP) without any military experience since Herbert Hoover and Charles Curtis occupied the White House nearly 80 years ago. Yes I know people critique Bush's Guard service, perhaps rightly so, nevertheless it still was service in the armed forces.

Biden is surprisingly liberal on many issues, somewhat fitting the mold of a classical Northeastern establishment liberal ala Ted Kennedy. While Biden brings some credibility in foreign policy, I was surprised he didn't go with someone who at least had a little military background as well (Jim Webb). Should Obama/Biden win the election, it would be the first administration (Pres/VP) without any military experience since Herbert Hoover and Charles Curtis occupied the White House nearly 80 years ago. Yes I know people critique Bush's Guard service, perhaps rightly so, nevertheless it still was service in the armed forces.
And I think it's fair to say that Bush has been a foreign policy and military disaster.

First hand military experience is over-rated because any president will just choose one of the options his military advisors will present him and unless he was a general in the last 20 years, he will not have the knowledge or experience to change any option for the better and most likely not even be able to choose the best option. Quitter Bush and ensign Hitler are good examples how "some" military experience can fire backwards

And I think it's fair to say that Bush has been a foreign policy and military disaster.

People just get war weary. I don't think the duration really takes away from the importance of fighting Islamic militants.

...but that's getting pretty far off topic.

I'm not trying to argue the necessity of military experience, but the real point that Biden was selected for his "foreign policy" credentials from a political, more than tactical standpoint. The same applies to military experience. It has a political perception of value. There were other choices that could have filled both voids, as I mentioned Webb. I'm not sure whether Webb pulled his name or it was an appropriate way for both sides to back out of an unfit relationship. Military experience, valid as a credential or not, will be and has been a campaign point for McCain, and while Biden has experience on the Senate Foreign relations committee, he's never been a diplomat, or served in the State Department. This decision doesn't trump McCain's perceived strength on a one to one basis.

I consider this be one of the worst possible realistic VP selections he could have made. I was hoping for Sam Nunn, but I get the vibe he got taken off the short list pretty early in the process.

Wow... Sam Nunn might actually have made me believe that Obama was serious about bringing change.

I'm not on the left but I'll chime in since I like Obama better than McCain.

He certainly brings something to the ticket, he is a long tenured congressman who has some of the most foreign policy experience of anybody in this country. So I think that will resonate well with the people that were kind of apprehensive about Obama because of all this BS about how he "lacks experience" and "doesn't know how to deal with other countries". So in that aspect I think he was a logical choice.

Personally? I like his stance on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, from what I can tell he has been in the forefront of pushing for both an end to the war and increased soldiers benefits. What I REALLY don't like is his really pro- RIAA/MPAA stance, him being anti-net neutrality and for unreasonable and unlogical anti-piracy laws. Luckily Obama isn't for any of that and its his ticket, but it still scares me that a dude like that could be in the white house.