J Michael Moore.....or whoever

jjooee

I know it's preseason and I'm looking way ahead with this posting and assuming many things but

I really do think Van Gorder is the real deal, I love him as a coordinator.

If there is one thing the Falcons organization has lacked over the year it would be

continuity, Peyton Manning has had that and look at the success of the Colts the last

5 or 6 years.

I really feel the Falcons are on the right track but I'm not convinced we're going to

maintain that continuity.

Mike Smith could be one excellent long term coach but we all know the importance of

coordinators. Mike Mullarky has been a head coach before and you never know if he

might want to do it again.

I wonder if J Michael Moore or anyone close to the Falcons have any knowledge about

the Falcons plans for conitinuity or long term stability.

Arthur Blank has emphasised the need for continuity on several occassion since acquiring the team. I;m sure that he'd like nothing better than tohave 1 staff in place for 10+years.

However, if someone does come calling for Mike Mullarkey to become their HC then we'd have to let him go if he wishes to do so. Any team that refuses to let it's coaches advance their careers by moving on to higher positions elsewhere, is simply going to alientate its coaching staff and will struggle to attract the best employees.

I agree. It would be great to have the same staff, especially the HC and coordinators for years to come. Some coaches like Monty Kiffin just seem to enjoy being coordinators and are content to remain in that role for their entire careers. Others like Jason Garrett have aspirations of being head coaches. I really don't know the goals of Mularkey or Van Gorder. I know that if our coordinators are successful and produce offenses and defenses that are elite, teams with HC openings will certainly come calling eventually; ie, Steve Spagnola. In some ways this would be good because we would know we have great coaches, but there is the risk you will lose them. Hopefully our franchise will be credible when this comes about, and if we do lose a coordinator, we will be able to attract another good one who could do the same job as effectively. I have nothing to base this on, but I believe we will be able to keep this staff together for several years. They all appear to be committed to building a good team here in Atlanta; at least for now.

Arthur Blank has emphasised the need for continuity on several occassion since acquiring the team. I;m sure that he'd like nothing better than tohave 1 staff in place for 10+years.

However, if someone does come calling for Mike Mullarkey to become their HC then we'd have to let him go if he wishes to do so. Any team that refuses to let it's coaches advance their careers by moving on to higher positions elsewhere, is simply going to alientate its coaching staff and will struggle to attract the best employees.

Any coach offered a higher position elsewhere is allowed to take it, league rules- he doesn't have to, but the current team has to allow him to both interview for, and take, the position.