What are fair expectations for Matt Ryan? Playoffs by third year starting? Fourth year?

AUGUSTA-FAN

The grading scale is still up in the air for Matt Ryan. The media wants to give him kudos and congrats for surviving a few offensive possessions of a preseason game, but can he handle pressure in a 60 minute game for 16 weeks? heck Redman isn't a proven commodity himself yet he is seen as a VETERAN by many on this board.

I question Ryan's mental toughness and leadership skills.. Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler are entering their third year and haven't come close to making the playoffs. Carson Palmer has put up pretty stats, but hasn't be really significant in terms of leading his team into the playoffs and it is very questionable his team will get there--again..

Vince may throw ugly passes--sometimes, but his team will likely be in the playoffs while Matt Ryan, Leinart and others are throwing pretty passes for INTs and siting home with losing records and losing respect every year they are in the league...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vincent Young will make the playoffs for the next couple of years because of defense not because of his great play on the offense side of the ball.

Leniart, Cutler and Palmer all have subpar defense which means a lot when talking playoff teams.

Ryan seems like he has a lot of mental toughness and can handle the presssure of a 60 Minute NFL game without problem.

The grading scale is still up in the air for Matt Ryan. The media wants to give him kudos and congrats for surviving a few offensive possessions of a preseason game, but can he handle pressure in a 60 minute game for 16 weeks? heck Redman isn't a proven commodity himself yet he is seen as a VETERAN by many on this board.

I question Ryan's mental toughness and leadership skills.. Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler are entering their third year and haven't come close to making the playoffs. Carson Palmer has put up pretty stats, but hasn't be really significant in terms of leading his team into the playoffs and it is very questionable his team will get there--again..

Vince may throw ugly passes--sometimes, but his team will likely be in the playoffs while Matt Ryan, Leinart and others are throwing pretty passes for INTs and siting home with losing records and losing respect every year they are in the league...

Leinert threw 3 interceptions - he might not even be the starter for the Cards anymore.

I'm not concerned about Ryan's mental toughness at this point. That may change depending on his fortunes throughout the course of the year.

That said, I don't think it'd be fair to judge him specifically. Instead, I'll judge the team as a whole since this game requires all three phases to be clicking in order to succeed with any consistency. Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring - does that make him a great quarterback? The results would say yes, other measuring sticks would say no.

Same with Ryan. It's rare to find a "great" quarterback who isn't on a good all-around team. If we become a consistent playoff team, it'll be because we've built a good team, not because our quarterback did everything himself.

Direwolf

Well as you pointed out, its WAY to early to judge Matt Ryan at all, or to try to lump him in groups with other QBs. The season hasn't even begun yet, so all we know at this point is he has played very well in preseason so far.

I am of the same mind as direwolf, you can't have a great QB without a great team around him. It's true that they measure a lot of QBs by superbowl victories, but you don't get those without all the supporting players. Even then, most team can only reach a superbowl winning peak for a very short span.

Bartkowski was a very good QB here, but he never had the rest of the supporting staff around him long enough to become a consistent winner.

Agree with you on Leinart, but he just another in the long line of great college players at USC that are nothing more than average to below average NFL'ers.

That said, you are pretty much completely wrong on everything else. Young can get to the playoffs on the back of his defense, but once he faces the good defenses in the playoffs, the Titans have zero offense, and you just can't win playoff games with lousy offenses.

What NFL people are seeing from their glimpses of Ryan thus far is a guy with the composure of a veteran, a guy who knows where everybody is supposed to be on the field at all times, and a guy who looks like he's already caught up with the speed of the NFL.

Granted, we have not seen what he can do in a regular season game, when defenses get incredibly more complex, but he's looked more advanced than any rookie QB in several years during their rookie preseasons. And he looks a lot more advanced than Vick was at knowing the offense & reading defense than he did by the end of his 6th NFL season.

Carson Palmer's offenses were ranked 10, 4, 8, and 11. The defenses for those years were: 19, 28, 30, 27. He's doing his part, it's the rest of the team that's letting him down.

Why not just change your name to "START A BLACK QB_75"?

The Falcons defenses weren't that stellar, but Vick made big IMPACT plays to keep the team competitve and got them to a NFC Championship game.

Palmer makes mistakes at critical times and can't overcome personal and team obstacles..that's why he is entering his sixth year with little chance of making it to the playoffs--again..

I am not V-75, but that poster makes some decent points.

I want a QB who doesn't fold under pressure on the field...Ryan's weaknesses as Qb and leader will be exposed the same way Leinart has been exposed--UNFORTUNATELY...

People are just getting around to seeing Jamaal Anderson as a MISTAKE...2008 is Matt Ryan's turn..

People are just getting around to seeing Jamaal Anderson as a MISTAKE...2008 is Matt Ryan's turn..

Yep, pretty much the same way people were getting around to seeing Roddy White as a MISTAKE at the start of the 2007 season.

/sarcasm

but of course you were not one of those.

/sarcasm off

:rolleyes:

Leinert threw 3 interceptions - he might not even be the starter for the Cards anymore.

I noticed that he did that and he has two of the best WRs in football in Boldin and Fitz to throw to. That definitely says a lot about this guy.

The Falcons defenses weren't that stellar, but Vick made big IMPACT plays to keep the team competitve and got them to a NFC Championship game.

Palmer makes mistakes at critical times and can't overcome personal and team obstacles..that's why he is entering his sixth year with little chance of making it to the playoffs--again..

I am not V-75, but that poster makes some decent points.

I want a QB who doesn't fold under pressure on the field...Ryan's weaknesses as Qb and leader will be exposed the same way Leinart has been exposed--UNFORTUNATELY...

That just goes to show you that a one-man circus isn't going to take you to a Super Bowl and we were really lucky to have gotten as far as we did with the show in town. In just 3 games, Ryan is showing great reads on defense, making adjustments to his players, showing poise and above all, he is showing LEADERSHIP. As for Ryan being a mistake, time will only tell but given his preseason performance, I for one am looking forward to seeing a team concept for a change instead of a single person's highlights on SportsCenter on Sunday nights. All this coming from a guy who wanted Dorsey!

Carson Palmer has a great arm and has very good WRs. The guy had a big time ACL tear a few years ago and worked his @ss off just to make it to TC his following season and to start game one of the regular season. His team has zero defense and a 'circus freak' in Chad Johnson who is all about himself and is a huge distraction to his team. Palmer's OL reminds me of some of our turnstiles we've fielded over the years and he'll probably be lucky to survive this season without getting hurt again.

Oh I get it now. You're bashing all the white QB's and propping up all the black ones.

That's why you had a hard on for DJ Shockley and Michael Vick, and that's why you would even go so far as to compliment one of the worst QB's in the NFL in Vince Young.

So VICK75, what are your thoughts on Jamarcus Russell, Donovan McNabb, Tavares Jackson, Dennis Dixon etc? They're the greatest QBs of all time aren't they?

Oh I get it now. You're bashing all the white QB's and propping up all the black ones.

That's why you had a hard on for DJ Shockley and Michael Vick, and that's why you would even go so far as to compliment one of the worst QB's in the NFL in Vince Young.

So VICK75, what are your thoughts on Jamarcus Russell, Donovan McNabb, Tavares Jackson, Dennis Dixon etc? They're the greatest QBs of all time aren't they?

I don't think it's a black thing with this guy. (Remember the extensive hate for Warrick Dunn, for example). It's simply a totally-delusional thing.

I don't think it's a black thing with this guy. (Remember the extensive hate for Warrick Dunn, for example). It's simply a totally-delusional thing.

Doesn't matter really what VICK-75's reasons are......

They are the ramblings from a delusional brain damaged organism.

Carson Palmer's offenses were ranked 10, 4, 8, and 11. The defenses for those years were: 19, 28, 30, 27. He's doing his part, it's the rest of the team that's letting him down.

Why not just change your name to "START A BLACK QB_75"?

Why don't you change your name to " I'm A Dumb As$". Stop throwing the race card around then crying about it when someone else does. Just because somebody likes Vick doesn't mean they only like black Quarterbacks. Keep enjoying the freedom of speech that you only exercise on this message board. I promise you **** closet racist kill me. I hope somebody cleans your clock one good time.

Why don't you change your name to " I'm A Dumb As$". Stop throwing the race card around then crying about it when someone else does. Just because somebody likes Vick doesn't mean they only like black Quarterbacks. Keep enjoying the freedom of speach that you only exercise on this message board. I promise you **** closest racist kill me. I hope somebody cleans your clock one good time.

This is Vick75, and he has shown over HUNDREDS of posts that he is in love with black, mobile, strong armed QB. The only QBs as of late he considers good is Vick, McNabb, and Young. He thinks those three are better than Brady or Manning, and those are things he has stated clearly numerous times.

His illogical, backwards way of thinking coupled with his sweeping generalizations, baseless accusations, and flat out lies has shown he is the lowest of the low on his messageboard. He is once again back, on another user_name, to spread his BS.

This is Vick75, and he has shown over HUNDREDS of posts that he is in love with black, mobile, strong armed QB. The only QBs as of late he considers good is Vick, McNabb, and Young. He thinks those three are better than Brady or Manning, and those are things he has stated clearly numerous times.

His illogical, backwards way of thinking coupled with his sweeping generalizations, baseless accusations, and flat out lies has shown he is the lowest of the low on his messageboard. He is once again back, on another user_name, to spread his BS.

I understand what your saying and if he is the troll Vick-75 his crazy vince young sucks. But Duff is quick to throw the race card around. In one of the thousands of Shockley post he put up a black panther Gif with the black fist saying that was the reason the poster wanted Shockley to make the team. How would the board take it if I put up a Nazi Swastika saying this is the reason you don’t wont (insert whatever black player you wont) On the team. I don’t play the race card, If I see something that warrants calling out im going to call it out.

I understand what your saying and if he is the troll Vick-75 his crazy vince young sucks. But Duff is quick to throw the race card around. In one of the thousands of Shockley post he put up a black panther Gif with the black fist saying that was the reason the poster wanted Shockley to make the team. How would the board take it if I put up a Nazi Swastika saying this is the reason you don’t wont (insert whatever black player you wont) On the team. I don’t play the race card, If I see something that warrants calling out im going to call it out.

I don't know that user's posting history, but Vick75 aka Augusta_Fan is a certified black > white thinker.