The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Richard-cNILE

Back in the day, when i played football (middle and high school only), I was hardly the fastest, nor the biggest nor the most athletic, but with the exception of my first year in 7th grade, I started every year therafter. Only for one reason... I really enjoyed the opportuniy to knock the crap out of someone. My teammates used to get mad because I never went 1/2 speed in practice, I pickedup the nickname "Cheapshot" which I proudly embraced. I played on the line, guard on offense and tackle on defense, where most guys were bigger and stronger... but few were meaner or nastier.

As you can imagine, I really enjoyed watching the Falcons play on Friday night against the Titans. Ya, there were some penalties that killed some drives, but WTF it's a preseason game and despite the drive killing penalties, we not only won the battle in the trenches, we also put more points on the board. Which is something that is always good.

I heard coach Leavy (Bills) interviewed on the NFL Network on a show about game day good luck rituals. He said "Luck, ya I have a game day ritual I always tell my team about. I tell them that if we have to block and tackle well or we're sure to lose this game." Cheers to the coaches for getting this team to embrace that same radical concept.

The Good:

O-Line - Last week I gave them my "most improved" and many people said they agreed with me. Heck I even heard coach Reeves make a simliar comment on his radio show. This week, they set the tone for the game. They were what i would call EXTREMELY aggresive. Normally youi think of DE and DT's as people who set the tone, are mean and nasty, but our O-Line took the fight to the Titans and set the tone for the game. Just seeing the offiensive line hitting and driving until the whistle "stopped" blowing. That more than anyting else impressed me.

DB's - I fully expected our DB's to be yet another point of weakness on this team. True, I've not seen them play four quarters against a team that has game planned against them, but they have given hope that our DB's will not be the pourus sponge I assumed they would be.

RB's - We have three valid RB's. That is always a good thing. I think much of this is attributed to the aforementioned O-Line, but our RB's are making the most of the space the O-Line provides them. Seeing Norwood get loose on the outside is always exciting. I don't know which of the other two RB's will make the team, but either way , the Falcons will have some RB Depth.

Defense - Tackling. The defense seemed to have velco on; whenever they hit the ball carrier, they just stuck to them and brought them down. That single skill will give this defense a chance.

Finn - How is it this guy isn't the defacto #2 WR. Does anyone think Jenkins or any of the other WR's are better than FInn? The guy brings game every game. A rookie QB needs a guy like Finn out there.

Beirmann - This guy just makes plays. Compare him, to Jamaal Anderson and you will see why everyone is down on JA. Where did this guy come from?

The Bad:

O-Line: Bad boys, the O-Line has some attitude. The cut bocks, the downfield blocks... is their anything more beautiful that seeing a 300+ pound linemane flying into a LB downfield after their teammate catches a 5 yard pass? Seriously. Seeing those guys getting downfield and rocking some LB or DB's world was just a pleasure.

#98, Jamal Anderson - I didn't know this guy was on the field until the broadcast team pointed him out on a reply when he was lined up next to Abraham. I know everyone says "you can't call him a bust yet." Well, yes I can. As of right now and last year, he is a bust. If you want to keep him on the roster because we spent big $$ on him, then fine, maybe he will be a superstar in a few years, but RIGHT NOW, he isn't and shouldn't be starting. I can't image we don't have or can't get someone else to play that position better.

The Ugly:

Getting the ball inside the 15 yard line and not being able to punch it in.

Moving the ball close to or past the first down marker only to find ithat instead of it being 2nd and 3 or 3rd and 2, it's 2 and 15 or 3rd and 20.

Seeing a Vet like Elam miss a 30 yard field goal.

Having to listen to Rich McKay in the 3rd quarter.

You missed the good spin moves he was putting on, and the couple of times that he flushed the QB from the pocket. He's looking a LOT better...but still he's gotta keep improving. This is essentially his rookie year in the NFL folks, he's 22 years old and should have been in this year's draft class. We'll see SOMETHING out of him this year, but we won't see 10+ sacks but we will see hope for the future.

But if someone still has the potential to grow and learn and is still that young you can't call them a bust...when you bust a balloon there is 0% chance that you can blow it up to it's potential because you're missing pieces of it. It can still be a balloon with a LOT of work, but it can never be what it once was thought to be. Jamaal is FAR from that, the kid is SUPER young and SUPER green at the position. Don't tag him as a bust yet.

You missed the good spin moves he was putting on, and the couple of times that he flushed the QB from the pocket. He's looking a LOT better...but still he's gotta keep improving. This is essentially his rookie year in the NFL folks, he's 22 years old and should have been in this year's draft class. We'll see SOMETHING out of him this year, but we won't see 10+ sacks but we will see hope for the future.

But if someone still has the potential to grow and learn and is still that young you can't call them a bust...when you bust a balloon there is 0% chance that you can blow it up to it's potential because you're missing pieces of it. It can still be a balloon with a LOT of work, but it can never be what it once was thought to be. Jamaal is FAR from that, the kid is SUPER young and SUPER green at the position. Don't tag him as a bust yet.

Ok, what you say makes sense and I agree. My question is:

Is he the best player we can get at that position?

or are we playing him because we drafted him at the #8 spot last year?

agreed 100%. Roddy White was not a "bust" when fans insisted he was, he was just developing and the impatient fans were the problem.

I have no idea if Anderson will blossum into a great player or not, but he certainly did flush Young out of the pocket 2 times with nice spin moves....he had a decent game in relatively limited playing time.

Anderson had a terrible 1st qtr. If you have the game taped...go back and look somewhere around the 11:00 mark in the 1st. You will see Anderson get absolutely hammered and knocked to the ground. He just lolly gagged around the entire 1st qtr. When he played DT...he looked a little better.

You have to have speed in the NFL to play DE. Jamal just looks too slow.

agreed 100%. Roddy White was not a "bust" when fans insisted he was, he was just developing and the impatient fans were the problem.

I have no idea if Anderson will blossum into a great player or not, but he certainly did flush Young out of the pocket 2 times with nice spin moves....he had a decent game in relatively limited playing time.

I hope he does blossom and I understand he is young. My main issue is he is not producing NOW. Put him on the sideline and let somone who can make some plays on the field until he is ready and can beat someone out of that position.

Anderson had a terrible 1st qtr. If you have the game taped...go back and look somewhere around the 11:00 mark in the 1st. You will see Anderson get absolutely hammered and knocked to the ground. He just lolly gagged around the entire 1st qtr. When he played DT...he looked a little better.

You have to have speed in the NFL to play DE. Jamal just looks too slow.

He seemed to just get swallowed up on many plays. I don't expect him to sack the QB on every play. But I do expect him to get pressure and make some plays (including a few tackles).

Nice review of the team Richard.

Yeah I like the nasty attitude our O-line is showing too. That is exactly what Matt Ryan needs in front of him to succeed here - a mean O-line and some good receivers. It looks like we finally have the receiving corps for him after so many years of poor receiving. Now the O-line is gelling into something good that none of us expected to see this year.

Hopefully, the coaches got a good taste of the incredible clutch receiver that Finn is. I don't know if he should be #2 WR, but I know I always want him in there when it's 3rd down or when we are trying to score a TD with a pass. The guys is just an awesome clutch receiver, and a HUGE target for Ryan.

I think we all need some more patience for Jamaal Anderson before we put the bust tag on him. Hey Roddy looked like crap in his second year with very inconsistent hands. I do see some improvement from Anderson in the fact that he is FINALLY using some pass rushing moves, like the spin moves mentioned, to get to the QB. Before now, he just tried to bullrush the QB, and that just won't work against the offensive tackles who play in the NFL. He is a first round draft choice who we picked 8th overall - you just don't give up that easily on such an investment.

Patrick Kerney didn't look very hot either in his first seasons here.

With the attitude our OL played with the other night, maybe our DL needs to have a quick pre-game practice against them before kickoff! Maybe have some of that attitude rub off on the defensive side of the trenches then maybe JA98 will start his games with some INTENSITY! I'm not giving up on the kid yet as he does show a flash here and there. He did do an admirable job at DT helping with the pass rush.

Nice review of the team Richard.

Yeah I like the nasty attitude our O-line is showing too. That is exactly what Matt Ryan needs in front of him to succeed here - a mean O-line and some good receivers. It looks like we finally have the receiving corps for him after so many years of poor receiving. Now the O-line is gelling into something good that none of us expected to see this year.

Hopefully, the coaches got a good taste of the incredible clutch receiver that Finn is. I don't know if he should be #2 WR, but I know I always want him in there when it's 3rd down or when we are trying to score a TD with a pass. The guys is just an awesome clutch receiver, and a HUGE target for Ryan.

I think we all need some more patience for Jamaal Anderson before we put the bust tag on him. Hey Roddy looked like crap in his second year with very inconsistent hands. I do see some improvement from Anderson in the fact that he is FINALLY using some pass rushing moves, like the spin moves mentioned, to get to the QB. Before now, he just tried to bullrush the QB, and that just won't work against the offensive tackles who play in the NFL. He is a first round draft choice who we picked 8th overall - you just don't give up that easily on such an investment.

Patrick Kerney didn't look very hot either in his first seasons here.

thanks for the feedback. I think the people on this board tend to agree with you on JA98.

Regarding Finn... you are probably correct, the #3 receiver. I am thinking with a rookie QB, he heeds super reliable hands and Finn provides that. Regardless, I sure don't want to see him go.