Shawne Merriman revealed Saturday that his career could be over

atljbo

I've just returned from San Diego and for 8 days all you heard on every radio/TV/news/sports broadcast was about Merriman. Locals were buzzing about the impending doom for the Chargers defense. The talking heads in the media were having a feeding frenzy speculating about the severity, cause, prognosis and discussing short and long term solutions that might let Merriman play this season.

Now that the 'rest of the story' is out--it looks like a combination of really serious and season ending injuries: hopefully not a career ender.

As much as I hated the stupid 'lights-out' celebration/dance, the guy is a great player and I hate to see talent sidelined by injury.

Assuming that the guy is 100% off of all 'roids and that he can recover/rehab after surgery, I wish him well.

Now I need to get the scoop on how the Falcons did during the last 8 days: I gave my tickets to the Colts and Titans game to family members and haven't had a chance yet to check out the details on the boards.

I've just returned from San Diego and for 8 days all you heard on every radio/TV/news/sports broadcast was about Merriman. Locals were buzzing about the impending doom for the Chargers defense. The talking heads in the media were having a feeding frenzy speculating about the severity, cause, prognosis and discussing short and long term solutions that might let Merriman play this season.

Now that the 'rest of the story' is out--it looks like a combination of really serious and season ending injuries: hopefully not a career ender.

As much as I hated the stupid 'lights-out' celebration/dance, the guy is a great player and I hate to see talent sidelined by injury.

Assuming that the guy is 100% off of all 'roids and that he can recover/rehab after surgery, I wish him well.

Merriman is a great player and great guy in the community here in SD. Last year after the fires, he started a non-profit to help rebuild homes of my fellow San Diegans affected.

I cannot believe that he's making the decision to play with that bad knee. :o

No kidding! From the report on NFLN last night, apparently there is another four million available as incentives in his contract and that figured into his decision. Also, he's looking for a new contract after this year.

FOUR MILLION!!! In NFL terms, that is practically chump change! And what team is going to sign him to some huge contract knowing the condition of his knee? I understand the surgery could be a career-ender, but what he's doing now is professional suicide.

i cant believe hes playing on that knee... maybe hes trying to get that last 4 million to be able to live off should the surgery actually end his career?

who knows whats going through his mind, but this seems very dangerous to me.

I know I can't figure it out. If he is that worried about the surgery ending his career, wonder what he thinks is going to happen the first time he gets hit in the knee, his cleat gets stuck in the turf, or he tries to find a team willing to sign that big contract he wants when they all know the shape his knee is in?