SiViK_OuTkAsT's take on the way things are going.....

I hope our team can show some of the qualities they have displayed this preseason. We look like we have some folks to upset this year, since no one is expecting much from us at all. I want to talk about some of the things I saw from our team and individual players.

Offense

Overall, we looked like a pretty solid team last night. We look to have the offensive line a lot of people have wanted around here for a long time. All of our starting lineman are 300 lb. plus guys. We showed some improvement as a whole in the redzone as well. There were still a few that we should have capatilized on and didn't, but overall I'm happy because we showed atleast on two drives that we can hammer it in once inside the redzone. The other few were because of a couple of passes that were slightly high, and recievers not being able to haul it down. I know our QB will develop even better touch, and receivers won't have a problem this year so I feel real good about our offense. Nice and balanced.

Defense

Who would believe, even in preseason that our Defense would go up against Indianapolis and Tennesse and not give up a touchdown in two entire games. Especially when we have been ridiculed on a national level for what we have here in Atlanta. Our defensive line still can lack some pass rush for sure, but I think help lies within our team. Our secondary looked ok last night, we showed some real toughness on a few passing plays, and others were simply drops by the other team. Our LB are going to be stellar, so there is no need to worry there at all. We are an awesome first impact tackling team, another thing we have been lacking. Overall, we are going to be better than advertised and the media will not know what to say.

Special Teams

This is one area we look amazing in. I just can't believe how well we shut down their KR efforts and pinning them inside their own twenty. Our guys are finishing the plays and getting there early. We are cutting off options of big plays here. If our kicking game is money like a lot of you say it will be, we have nothing to worry about there either. I look forward to watching us on special teams this year, I want to see some field position domination on our part. I think that our team is well capable of that.

I want to list some individual players efforts as well

Offense

Matt Ryan - Looked great so far this preseason, and really well last night. I noticed he didn't leave a pass hanging like last week. He is a guy that will rarely make the same mistake twice. He is showing great leadership and poise. Going out and getting your first win in a first start is a statement. This guy has a ton of potential and will continue to improve here with us for years to come.

Harry Douglas - Showed some pretty good hands tonight and shows he is a versatile player that definitely can make our WR coprs even that much better. It's good that he is here with Ryan from the start, they will enjoy many wins together here.

Sam Baker - I can't say enough about this guy. The media is going to have to back track theirwords on this guy. He is going to single handedly show them why we moved up to get him and why it wasn't a bad move. He is going to be great for pass protection and awesome in run protection. I think we have us a very legit tackle here. Great move by the front office on this one.

Thomas Brown - He needs to make this team. Period. This guy is a solid option at #3 RB and showed a lot of promise on ST as well. Thomas is a back with good hands and great vision. He can provide a lot more to this team than we have seen so far. One thing that should make a difference in him making the team here is the ability of helping to finish a redzone drive. He hammered it in for us and gave us a touchdown. Redzone has obviously been a problem for us. I think with Turner, Norwood, and Brown we have a great shot of making a TD in the redzone at any time.

Jerious Norwood - I'm not going to write a lot here because we all expect great things from Jerious, and he showed us why again last night. He is a great player and I am so glad he is on our team.

Defense

Brent Grimes - Who's with me here when I say I think this kid is the truth. He is only going to get better with more real time game experience, but as of right now he is very solid at CB. I don't think we have seen half of what he has to offer here. I can't wait until he starts catching all the balls he deflects. He shows at great ability to break on the ball out of the QB's hands, which is a valuable tool in the NFL and something we need here. Wow, just wow!

Kroy Biermann - This guy in my opinion was our "real steal" of the draft. We got him late and at a cheap price, but man this guy is going to be great. He reminds me right now of an undersized Kerney and this is only his third game. He has showed great speed, ability to break off a block, pass defense, and that he is able to strip the ball. I think he is better than Jamaal at DE right now and I think Coach knows that too. I am all up for giving this guy a chance over Jamaal. He shows way more promise and is more versatile. This guy is a diamond in the rough and is highly underestimated. Coach was smart for moving Jamaal inside and putting Kroy out there. Great move coach.

Lawyer Milloy - Once again, not much needed to be said here. Lawyer is a vet that shows up every game. He looks better this year than he did last year. It is an honor to have a player like that on our team. He showed why we have him last night. Great tackler.

Erik Coleman - He is an upgrade at the S position for sure. Showed he can step up into the box as well for the run game. He will be good until we groom Stone even more.

Chevis Jackson - I know the ball was a little underthrown that he picked, but it was still a great play. He is a little underestimated in my eyes too, he has much upside and will be a force in a year or two. Coming along great.

John Abraham - Beast. All I need to put here. We love you John.

I could go on here even more, but I feel like this is long enough. Hope you enjoyed the read, I enjoyed writing it. What do you think?

I forgot to say what I thought about Harvey Dahl and Mike Jenkins. Harvey looks like he has a huge chip on his shoulder and plays with it every play. I think he is a great option for us at G. He doesn't stop playing, hopefully won't add to our current penalty debacle. I am really lovin the play of our Oline right now. Jenkins is catching the ball more on a consistent basis. He isn't ready to just hand over the #2 spot yet. If he does keep the position, then good for the guy. He needs to step up and seems to understand what he needs to do now, catch the ball. Hopefully he will show he can this when it counts as well, the regular season. Man, it's a good time to be a Falcon Fan!

Really good post OuTkAst......I enjoyed reading it.

The only guy I might give a good honorable mention to is Finneran. His special teams play and sure-handedness when the ball does get thrown to him has really impressed me. I belive Finn makes this squad.

Really good post OuTkAst......I enjoyed reading it.

The only guy I might give a good honorable mention to is Finneran. His special teams play and sure-handedness when the ball does get thrown to him has really impressed me. I belive Finn makes this squad.

I so agree about Finneran. I didn't want to make this excruciating to read, so I left out some of the things I thought I could put here. Finneran is just a great guy all around. The knees look fine to me, I love how he is on ST. That tackle was awesome. I can't believe the KR guy they had last night didn't do much. He was supposed to be the fastest guy in the draft right? Our ST didn't let him get anywhere. So to everyone, sorry if I left some guys out but I can only type so much.

I so agree about Finneran. I didn't want to make this excruciating to read, so I left out some of the things I thought I could put here. Finneran is just a great guy all around. The knees look fine to me, I love how he is on ST. That tackle was awesome. I can't believe the KR guy they had last night didn't do much. He was supposed to be the fastest guy in the draft right? Our ST didn't let him get anywhere. So to everyone, sorry if I left some guys out but I can only type so much.

Yeah, me too. LOVE the Finnerman!

And as you said it's a great time to be fan. Great write up there. We have LOTS to be excited about. So much potential. I love it.

GO FALCONS!!!!

Harry Douglas - Showed some pretty good hands tonight and shows he is a versatile player that definitely can make our WR coprs even that much better. It's good that he is here with Ryan from the start, they will enjoy many wins together here.

Brent Grimes - Who's with me here when I say I think this kid is the truth. He is only going to get better with more real time game experience, but as of right now he is very solid at CB. I don't think we have seen half of what he has to offer here. I can't wait until he starts catching all the balls he deflects. He shows at great ability to break on the ball out of the QB's hands, which is a valuable tool in the NFL and something we need here. Wow, just wow!

Kroy Biermann - This guy in my opinion was our "real steal" of the draft. We got him late and at a cheap price, but man this guy is going to be great. He reminds me right now of an undersized Kerney and this is only his third game. He has showed great speed, ability to break off a block, pass defense, and that he is able to strip the ball. I think he is better than Jamaal at DE right now and I think Coach knows that too. I am all up for giving this guy a chance over Jamaal. He shows way more promise and is more versatile. This guy is a diamond in the rough and is highly underestimated. Coach was smart for moving Jamaal inside and putting Kroy out there. Great move coach.

Good post. I don't really disagree with any of it, but just wanted to comment on these 3.

Douglas- it's nice that he's coming in the same time as Ryan, but our entire WR corps is young, and have just entered a point in their developmen that they are ready to play. White, Jenkins, Robinson are all ready to make a real statement. Finn has been looking really good, but it's undeniable that he's close to the end of his career (I think he'll make the team, but if he doesn't it's because they are looking to the future with a younger guy).

Grimes- I could care less if he gets the interceptions. INT's are great, but I'll take the defended passes all day long. It's nice to see that he's not going for stats, and I'm not worried about him going for an INT in the end zone when he should just knock the pass down... not to name names. Plus, it's cheaper to resign a good corner without the INT's.

Bierman- I want to get him a lot of playing time, but I can't see him being that successful over 16 games, lining up as a DE in a traditional 4-3. When we use 5 DL, I think it'll make a lot of sense, or getting him into positions where he can run relatively free, that's great. I just think he'll be a remarkable situation player, but might not be nearly as good as a traditional DE... at least not till he gets more size on him. That said, I'm really excited about the little dude! He's scrappy!

Another player to watch this season... Babineaux. I think he might make a name for himself this year.

Sivik,

A first class post! We don't have as many holes as I and a whole lot of people thought. Let Smitty and the other coaches tweak the depth chart and Dimitroff bring in one or two from the final cuts and "Bring it on"""

In just a few short months we will have travelled light years toward RESPECT!!!

GO FALCONS!!!

I think jerious is overrated. hes a home run threat, but thats all he is. hes not very versatile in his running game, every time he tries to run thru the cracks hes brought down immediately and the only place hes really effective is the outside with space which is his comfort zone. But hes not very consistant. I would hate to have Jerious as our starting RB and thats why I'm so glad we got Michael Turner. How do you not mention Turner? The guy is a beast, every time he gets the ball, he goes forward. You think hes down, but he gets an extra 2-3 yards right before his chest touches the ground. Also hes got the speed to break away when he sees daylight, and hes very quick to hit the holes for a 245 pounder.

I dont think Thomas Brown needs to make this team. I think the running game would be fine without him. If it was between Snelling and Brown to take the last spot on the roster, I might have to lean toward Snelling. Hes a power back that's a better fit for this team. We have a spell back in jerious to compliment a guy just like snelling. Hes big, he's physical, he's strong, he's shown he can catch, and he's got experience over Brown. Plus, Brown is a pretty small back that wouldnt be able to pound the ball in as well as Snelling which would be a huge concern if Turner ever went down. A Norwood/Brown tandem wouldn't look too good.

I think Jenkins/ Laurent will line up across from Roddy and Jenkins/ Douglas will line up at slot. I think Jenkins will have a bigger role on this team than many might expect. I've always liked him, (except when hes off his game lol), because he has the perfect frame to be a real big threat. People like to talk about change of pace runningbacks, well I think Douglas and Jenkins will be a complimentary change of pace wide receivers. The defense's nickels will have to play them differently because of their different styles and that could mean a big advantage for the receivers.

The offensive line has impressed me thus far, so basically i hope they keep up whatever they are doing.

Brent Grimes has been the individual that has impressed me the most. When I first heard of him playing well in practice and OTAs from the coaches, I thought it was just a guy that is playing average for being undrafted. But I was wrong, he is by far the best cornerback on this roster. Chris Houston is somewhat inconsistant in coverage and the man cannot tackle. He can bench press 27 times or whatever, but that means nothing since he cant seem to wrap up his opponent. Tackling can easily be taught and I'm sure Coach Smith will take care of that by mid season, with his experience of coaching plenty of pro bowl linebackers known for their tackling.

I think jerious is overrated. hes a home run threat, but thats all he is. hes not very versatile in his running game, every time he tries to run thru the cracks hes brought down immediately and the only place hes really effective is the outside with space which is his comfort zone. But hes not very consistant. I would hate to have Jerious as our starting RB and thats why I'm so glad we got Michael Turner. How do you not mention Turner? The guy is a beast, every time he gets the ball, he goes forward. You think hes down, but he gets an extra 2-3 yards right before his chest touches the ground. Also hes got the speed to break away when he sees daylight, and hes very quick to hit the holes for a 245 pounder.

I dont think Thomas Brown needs to make this team. I think the running game would be fine without him. If it was between Snelling and Brown to take the last spot on the roster, I might have to lean toward Snelling. Hes a power back that's a better fit for this team. We have a spell back in jerious to compliment a guy just like snelling. Hes big, he's physical, he's strong, he's shown he can catch, and he's got experience over Brown. Plus, Brown is a pretty small back that wouldnt be able to pound the ball in as well as Snelling which would be a huge concern if Turner ever went down. A Norwood/Brown tandem wouldn't look too good.

I think Jenkins/ Laurent will line up across from Roddy and Jenkins/ Douglas will line up at slot. I think Jenkins will have a bigger role on this team than many might expect. I've always liked him, (except when hes off his game lol), because he has the perfect frame to be a real big threat. People like to talk about change of pace runningbacks, well I think Douglas and Jenkins will be a complimentary change of pace wide receivers. The defense's nickels will have to play them differently because of their different styles and that could mean a big advantage for the receivers.

The offensive line has impressed me thus far, so basically i hope they keep up whatever they are doing.

Brent Grimes has been the individual that has impressed me the most. When I first heard of him playing well in practice and OTAs from the coaches, I thought it was just a guy that is playing average for being undrafted. But I was wrong, he is by far the best cornerback on this roster. Chris Houston is somewhat inconsistant in coverage and the man cannot tackle. He can bench press 27 times or whatever, but that means nothing since he cant seem to wrap up his opponent. Tackling can easily be taught and I'm sure Coach Smith will take care of that by mid season, with his experience of coaching plenty of pro bowl linebackers known for their tackling.

I could have went on forever and quite honestly I was tired of typing at that point. This list was not solely based on the whole preseaon, mainly for last night. I didn't see a whole lot from Turner then, but I know he is a beast and is going to be awesome. This was kind of more who stuck out the most in my mind last night. I am impressed overall with our tackling skills, a complete 180 from what we have known in Atlanta as of late. First impact tackling makes a huge difference in your game.

Great read, analogy and post there Sivik. I can agree with it all and the comments about Finn who I'm very happy to see back on our team and playing well after two long years. If I had to add anyone or anything, I would have to mention Snelling at the RB position as well. I have been very impressed with his play in addition to Turner's. I really think we should carry all four RBs on this team. I think the biggest talent on this team is at the WR/RB/LB positions which is a huge plus, especially on offense. We could have easily scored 30+ points on the Titans last night and nobody would have guessed nearly that much.

Yep yep - nice post and review of the team.

For me, I can't say enough good about Mike Smith and his coaching staff. They have taken a lot of very young players, and a team in disarray, and very quickly turned around their attitudes and direction. We are all forgetting how quickly they have installed new schemes here that seem to be working. The biggest key to our success this year may be the skill of our offensive and defensive coordinators.

Mularkey and Van Gorder have done a very nice job of play calling to help our guys succeed.