What Happened With Roddy Last Night?

formul8or

Ryan missed him twice in the end zone when he was wide open. He also had a catch wiped out by a (clear) offensive pass interference call. He looked great again.

ryan didnt "miss him twice" in the en zone when he was "wide open"

the first time he wasnt wide open, its not like the defender was a mile away, he was a foot away.

the second time, ryan didnt miss him. thats a ball u expect roddy to catch. it wasnt an easy catch, but again that was because there was a defender in front of him and he wasnt "wide open"

Sure he did.

the first time he wasnt wide open, its not like the defender was a mile away, he was a foot away.

The defender only caught up to Roddy because the pass was thrown behind him. Had the pass been thrown toward the pile-on, the defender could not have even contested the play. Roddy turned him around on the break and had what qualifies as quite a bit of room in the NFL.

the second time, ryan didnt miss him. thats a ball u expect roddy to catch. it wasnt an easy catch, but again that was because there was a defender in front of him and he wasnt "wide open"

Oh, for the love of. There wasn't even a defender on Roddy White on the second end zone play. His QB just missed him. You're not a traitor to the Falcons cause to call a spade a spade. As I said in the gameday thread at the time, Ryan had three receivers near the goal line he should have hit but did not. That last play to Roddy was the only one that was inexcusable. If a player is that open in the end zone, it has to be a touchdown. Putting that on Roddy is just plain silly.

Yeah the sweet lesson of the evening is if they double team Roddy we got other weapons to burn em with. You just gotta love the way Ryan spread the ball around to so many receivers during the game. Mularkey really needs a pat on the back for his play calling. They have been very keen in the way they have introduced Ryan to game time by limiting him to short and intermediate throws to build his confidence.

This is the best receiving corps we have had since 98 IMHO. Roddy is the real deal deep threat, and the rest are capable of taking the game over if Roddy can't get open because of double team coverage.

Sure he did.

The defender only caught up to Roddy because the pass was thrown behind him. Had the pass been thrown toward the pile-on, the defender could not have even contested the play. Roddy turned him around on the break and had what qualifies as quite a bit of room in the NFL.

Oh, for the love of. There wasn't even a defender on Roddy White on the second end zone play. His QB just missed him. You're not a traitor to the Falcons cause to call a spade a spade. As I said in the gameday thread at the time, Ryan had three receivers near the goal line he should have hit but did not. That last play to Roddy was the only one that was inexcusable. If a player is that open in the end zone, it has to be a touchdown. Putting that on Roddy is just plain silly.

All true. Ryan said those were all his mistakes. That drive turned into 0 points after the missed FG. If he hit either of those passes for a TD, the night would have been a 100% success. Ryan couldnt be perfect, but thats not to say those were terribly difficult passes either.

All true. Ryan said those were all his mistakes. That drive turned into 0 points after the missed FG. If he hit either of those passes for a TD, the night would have been a 100% success. Ryan couldnt be perfect, but thats not to say those were terribly difficult passes either.

I'll have to go with what he and coaches say about those 2 passes being his fault, but I'm thinking he's just being modest about it. They practice those plays every day, and he put them way up high in spots only reachable by them and that's why they were so close. They looked catchable (even if a little too high) so they weren't exactly "bad" throws or mistakes IMO... they just weren't caught. Our WR will do better with practice.

Clearly you didnt see the game :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I always like QBs who put all the mistakes on themselves and can acknowledge when things don't go perfectly. That's a sign of maturity as well as self-confidence.

I always like QBs who put all the mistakes on themselves and can acknowledge when things don't go perfectly. That's a sign of maturity as well as self-confidence.

No doubt. We have a WINNER. True leadership right there.

I also like how when asked in a sideline interview on him being the starter in game 1, he deferred back to the coaches by saying it's their decision and that there are also other great QBs here on the team.

Classy. I like it a lot.

daddy, I've been thinking about this, too. Not pointing the finger at anyone else when a play goes wrong is a sign of maturity and a true sign of class.

You know, when you point the finger at someone else, you point three fingers at yourself!!

GO FALCONS!!!