Final roster dilemmas

Romfal

Come final cuts our staff will have some headaches when they will have to decide on the final 53 or should I just say the final 50 because 3 spots go to the K, P and LS

So anyway, whats should we do?

Should we keep 6 WR's?

If not, who do we cut to get it down to 5

Should we keep 4 RB's?

Do we need 2 FB's on regular plays and how much of an impact does McCintire(spelling) have on ST to validate his presence on the final roster?

Should we keep more than 9 DB's? (5 corners and 4 safeties)

Do we keep 5 DE's and 5 DT's or 4 DE's and 6 DT's. We probably can't keep less than 10 D linemen

Is 6 LB's enough?

Personally I think we will go with this sort of format:

3 QB

4 RB

1 FB

6 WR

8 OL

3 TE

5 DE

5 DT

6 LB

5 CB

2 FS

2 SS

1 K

1 P

1 LS

My final roster:

Offense 25 players:

QB: Matt Ryan - Chris Redman - Joey Harrington

RB: Michael Turner - Jerious Norwood - Jason Snelling - Thomas Brown

FB: Ovie Mughelli

WR: Roddy White - Michael Jenkins - Harry Duglas - Laurent Robinson - Brian Finneran - Adam Jennings

OL: Sam Baker - Justin Blalock - Todd McClure - Harvey Dahl - Todd Weiner - Tyson Clabo - Quinn Ojinnaka - Alex Stephanovic

TE: Ben Hartsock - Jason Rader - Martrez Milner

Defense 25 players:

DE: John Abraham - Jamaal Anderson - Kroy Biermann - Chancey Davis - Simon Fraser/Willie Evans

DT: USS Babineaux - Grady Jackson - Rashard Moore - Kendal Moorehead - Montavious Stanley(until Trey Lewis is healthy)

LB: Michael Boley - Curtis Lofton - Keith Brooking - Coy Wire - Tony Taylor - Stephen Nicholas

CB: Brent Grimes - Chris Houston - Chevis Jackson - Blue Adams - Al Harris/David Irons/Wilrey Fontenot

FS: Erik Coleman - Thomas DeCould

SS: Lawyer Milloy - Darren Stone

ST 3 players:

K: Jason Elam

P: Michael Koenen

LS: Mike Schneck

Thoughts?

Cory McEntyre is the ST Captain I believe, he is WAY too valuable to cut IMO.

I like your roster other than that. I think the choice comes down to Jason Snelling or Adam Jennings for the last roster spot.

If it is me, Jennings gets cut. One good return game does not a roster spot secure.

Cory McEntyre is the ST Captain I believe, he is WAY too valuable to cut IMO.

I like your roster other than that. I think the choice comes down to Jason Snelling or Adam Jennings for the last roster spot.

If it is me, Jennings gets cut. One good return game does not a roster spot secure.

we brought a guy by the name of Coy Wire over from the Bills. He was the ST captain there. My guess is that the captain role goes to players with experience and leadership, more than to the best player out there. If the best player on ST is the captain, then this year, David Irons should be awarded with the badge for last years performance. Also, Jason Snelling plays ST as well so if he is half way decent I really have doubts of us keeping 2 FB's. Afterall we need to think of what he can bring on offense as well IMO. Ovie plays ST as well if I'm not mistaken

and Jennings got all the returns last night. That at least tells me he is the front runner for the job. I would think we would mix it up more if we had doubts of him not making it especially since his competition is represented by 2 rookies who need valuable experience

Well, the notion that David Irons should be ST Captain is ridiculous, but I assume that you were just using that as an example to make your point.

I will admit freely that I have an axe to grind with Jennings, I think he is a bit of a cowardly returner (not that I could do any better), calling for fair catches far too often. Like I said, one good game does not a roster make, but I do hope that he has turned the corner.

I would prefer to have more than just one veteran ST standout, and I think that losing McEntyre would be a detriment to our overall team leadership. If Coy Wire can be a leader, more power to him, but I don't think you can underestimate keeping a FB who shows up to do the blue-collar things that TD and Coach Smith preach day in and day out.

You are only keeping 1 FB. What happens at FB position if Ovie gets hurt, and Atlanta has let McIntyre go? I think there would be a big drop-off at the FB position from Ovie to Snelling. You can't put McIntyre on the practice squad, he's ineligible for the PS. I think that the Falcons are making Ovie more a part of the power running scheme, and rightfully so. Also you only keeping 8 OL to man 5 different positions?

About DJ making the team...he has 2-3 things going against him:

1) Joey has more experience, experience that can help Matt, and if you listen to Matt's press conference last night, he talks about that

2) Joey is a game manager. He may not bomb it out but he won't lose you the game my making rookie mistakes

3) DJ is PS eligible which also meas we have a chance of keeping all 4 QB's around. Which might be in the best interest if the team right now.

BUT according to coach Smith, DJ should get his chance at the first team next week so if he goes 14 of 15 for 140+ yds and 2 TD's I agree that he will make the team B)

Well, the notion that David Irons should be ST Captain is ridiculous, but I assume that you were just using that as an example to make your point.

I will admit freely that I have an axe to grind with Jennings, I think he is a bit of a cowardly returner (not that I could do any better), calling for fair catches far too often. Like I said, one good game does not a roster make, but I do hope that he has turned the corner.

I would prefer to have more than just one veteran ST standout, and I think that losing McEntyre would be a detriment to our overall team leadership. If Coy Wire can be a leader, more power to him, but I don't think you can underestimate keeping a FB who shows up to do the blue-collar things that TD and Coach Smith preach day in and day out.

ok, I guess we can keep Cory, but 6 tailbacks seems a bit much even if we are a run first team. so this will makes us keep 5 WR's.

which brings us to the problem of: Do we hand off the Punt returns to 2 rookies(Brown and Douglas) who aren't getting enough 'love' as far as I can see in terms of reps or do we keep Jennings which will leave Finn as the odd man out.

Another way to go would be to keep 9 D-linemen since Jamaal and Fraser can play inside as well and go with 6 RB/FB and 6 WR's

complicated <_<

You are only keeping 1 FB. What happens at FB position if Ovie gets hurt, and Atlanta has let McIntyre go? I think there would be a big drop-off at the FB position from Ovie to Snelling. You can't put McIntyre on the practice squad, he's ineligible for the PS. I think that the Falcons are making Ovie more a part of the power running scheme, and rightfully so. Also you only keeping 8 OL to man 5 different positions?

most teams keep 8 O-linemen and I don't think we need more since we have versatile players. We will most likely dress 7 anyway.

Tyson Clabo can play RT, RG, LG and maybe even LT

Todd Weiner can play both tackle spots

Quinn Ojinnaka is mister versatile and can play all over the line

Alex Stephanovich can play Center and both guard spots

so yes I think 8 is enough :)

Pos 1st String 2nd String 3rd String 4th String

LDE 98 // J Anderson 75 // S Fraser 99 // W Evans

DT 95 // J Babineaux 94 // K Moorehead === Both DTs 96 // M Stanley

DT 91 // G Jackson 90 // R Moore -------when Lewis gets back cut Moore, so real 90 ,Grady can have his number back!

RDE 55 // J Abraham 92 // C Davis 71 // K Biermann

OLB 59 // M Boley 54 // S Nicholas

MLB 53 // T Taylor 50 // C Lofton

OLB 56 // K Brooking 52 // C Wire

LCB 20 // B Grimes 22 // C Jackson ====

RCB 23 // C Houston 24 // B Adams === = all 41 // A Harris

SS 36 // L Milloy 39 // D Stone

FS 26 // E Coleman 41 // A Harris ======

D=25

Offense

Offensive Coordinator: Mike Mularkey

Pos 1st String 2nd String 3rd String 4th String 5th String

WR-X 84 // R White 83 // H Douglas

LT 72 // S Baker 66 // T Pennington

LG 63 // J Blalock

C 62 // T McClure 67 // B Wilkerson + G too

RG 73 // H Dahl 65 // K Forney - both sides G backups

RT 77 // T Clabo- G too@! 74 // T Weiner

TE 89 // B Hartsock 85 // J Rader 88 // M Milner

WR-Z 12 // M Jenkins 86 // B Finneran 19 // L Robinson

QB 2 // M Ryan 8 // C Redman 3 // D Shockley

RB 33 // M Turner 32 // J Norwood 44 // J Snelling-HB/FB 27 // T Brown

FB 34 // O Mughelli

O=25

Special Teams

Special Teams Coordinator: Keith Armstrong

Pos 1st String 2nd String 3rd String

PK 1 // J Elam

H :D 3 // D Shockley 9 // M Koenen - I dont get why Koenen is Holder, it doesnt make sense to me!

P 9 // M Koenen 1 // J Elam

KO 9 // M Koenen 1 // J Elam

KOR 32 // J Norwood 27 // T Brown

PR 83 // H Douglas 27 // T Brown

KC 46 // M Schneck 88 // M Milner

PC 46 // M Schneck 88 // M Milner

PS-

68 // B Miller

68 // M Butterworth

82 // K Zinger

28 // T DeCoud

Trade 13 // J Harrington

and Jennings got all the returns last night. That at least tells me he is the front runner for the job. I would think we would mix it up more if we had doubts of him not making it especially since his competition is represented by 2 rookies who need valuable experience

Sorry but Jennings getting all the returns last night says nothing but maybe they wanted to look at him more.

I aqgree we will be keeping two FB.'s

1) Joey has more experience, experience that can help Matt, and if you listen to Matt's press conference last night, he talks about that. Well I'm not sure if D.J. stays or goes but can tell you it will be a coaches choice not Matt's. Plus we really don't need Joey teaching Matt anything.

2) Joey is a game manager. He may not bomb it out but he won't lose you the game my making rookie mistakes. You are so wrong Joey makes lots of Veteran Mistakes and D.J. has mobility on his side. Plus he will cost less to keep the the has been really never was Joey.

3) DJ is PS eligible which also meas we have a chance of keeping all 4 QB's around. Which might be in the best interest if the team right now. Why in the name of everything holy do we want to keep a 4th QB on ps.

BUT according to coach Smith, DJ should get his chance at the first team next week so if he goes 14 of 15 for 140+ yds and 2 TD's I agree that he will make the team B)

I don't think it will take that much to keep D.J. Like to other two (Redman & Ryan) D.J. can throw a deep pass. You know longer then 10 yards like Joey

1) Joey has more experience, experience that can help Matt, and if you listen to Matt's press conference last night, he talks about that

2) Joey is a game manager. He may not bomb it out but he won't lose you the game my making rookie mistakes

3) DJ is PS eligible which also meas we have a chance of keeping all 4 QB's around. Which might be in the best interest if the team right now.

that's a **** lie