Anderson better at DT or DE?

jm_falcons

Watched on DVR so I was able to closely review the game against the Titans. I kept an eye on j Anderson in particular.

In the 1st qtr...when the guy played DE...he seemed to be at half speed. I know its pre seson...but he just seemed to lolly gag around. The only strength seemed to be his physical strength. He looked slow and rather uncoordinated with no crispness to his motions and mechanics.

Then in the 2nd qtr and beyond...they swithced him to DT. He seemed more suited at that position. He was able to put his best talent...his strength...to better use. He could conserve his foot work a little more and hence...seemed more lively and aggressive.

I know a lot of people...and for good reason...state that he's too tall to play DT. Apparently...the O lineman he face will get under his pads and drive him around. I'm not so sure about that though. He's got a lot of strength and power and you can really see it when he plays DT.

IMO....the DL is much better when Anderson rotates at DT with Babs...Grady and Moore. I like Abe...Davis and Bierman as our DEs.

Could we have drafted our glenn dorsey a year earlier and didn't even know it wow. if he doesn't work out at DE and work out better at DT how many people would eat crow. D-A-M-N Mckay's a genius <_< but it wouldnt look as if he wasn't a wasted pick

JA2 only played DT in obvious passing situations to get a better push up the middle, ith Babs, Abe, Davis and sometimes BeerMan. He is not a DT. If you stop using sacks as the only measuring stick you could see that he is doning a good job. Why would the coaches keep him out there if he is no good? What does that say for the guys behind him?

JA2 only played DT in obvious passing situations to get a better push up the middle, ith Babs, Abe, Davis and sometimes BeerMan. He is not a DT. If you stop using sacks as the only measuring stick you could see that he is doning a good job. Why would the coaches keep him out there if he is no good? What does that say for the guys behind him?

They didnt keep him out there. He sat on the bench half the time the starters were out there. He played DT some, but not always on passing downs. He NEVER played DE on passing downs, cuz he cannot get a rush. Compared to last week, he played half the snaps the first team was in there instead of 100% of them like he did last week. The coaches saw him play weak on film last week and there really looking for someone who can play LE. They were searching this week. Beirmann played very well so I expect him to play a good bit this season.

What an inane, poorly thought out, deluded, incompetent post. The debate is over, the coaches agreed with those who postulated that at this moment in time Jamal Anderson was not getting in done at DE in the NFL. That is why they made the changes, not because "he is doing a good job.".

What an inane, poorly thought out, deluded, incompetent post. The debate is over, the coaches agreed with those who postulated that at this moment in time Jamal Anderson was not getting in done at DE in the NFL. That is why they made the changes, not because "he is doing a good job.".

Bravo! I guess some guys can take whats obvious and make it difficult. Hey John Abraham has been doin a "good job" so lets move him to DT what you guys think? :lol:

Watched on DVR so I was able to closely review the game against the Titans. I kept an eye on j Anderson in particular.

In the 1st qtr...when the guy played DE...he seemed to be at half speed. I know its pre seson...but he just seemed to lolly gag around. The only strength seemed to be his physical strength. He looked slow and rather uncoordinated with no crispness to his motions and mechanics.

Then in the 2nd qtr and beyond...they swithced him to DT. He seemed more suited at that position. He was able to put his best talent...his strength...to better use. He could conserve his foot work a little more and hence...seemed more lively and aggressive.

I know a lot of people...and for good reason...state that he's too tall to play DT. Apparently...the O lineman he face will get under his pads and drive him around. I'm not so sure about that though. He's got a lot of strength and power and you can really see it when he plays DT.

IMO....the DL is much better when Anderson rotates at DT with Babs...Grady and Moore. I like Abe...Davis and Bierman as our DEs.

Who said he was to tall

6'6 Albert Haynesworth

6'6 Marcus Stroud

6'5 Kevin Williams

its more but those guys are probowl type level players

What he said.

What he said.

You do realize he was completely wrong, don't you? Sacks aren't anyone's only measure of Anderson. And as has been said, the coaches didn't keep running Anderson out there. The LDE spot seems to have quietly become and open competition.

Anderson needs to gain about 30 lbs to be effective at DT. The Anderson supporters should flock to the idea of moving him though. They scream about how good he is against the run. If that's the case then he should be moved to DT where he's responsible for less pass rush and more run stuffing.

I think Anderson has a better chance of success at DT where his lack of speed isn't such a big deal and where he can really use his long arms and try to get them in the QB's face. The guy has a wing span. I'd put him in there and tell him his number 1 job is to bat at passes. I'm not crazy about the idea of him at DT but I'm less crazy about him at DE.

You do realize he was completely wrong, don't you? Sacks aren't anyone's only measure of Anderson. And as has been said, the coaches didn't keep running Anderson out there. The LDE spot seems to have quietly become and open competition.

Anderson needs to gain about 30 lbs to be effective at DT. The Anderson supporters should flock to the idea of moving him though. They scream about how good he is against the run. If that's the case then he should be moved to DT where he's responsible for less pass rush and more run stuffing.

I think Anderson has a better chance of success at DT where his lack of speed isn't such a big deal and where he can really use his long arms and try to get them in the QB's face. The guy has a wing span. I'd put him in there and tell him his number 1 job is to bat at passes. I'm not crazy about the idea of him at DT but I'm less crazy about him at DE.

Actually Anderson is fast to be a DT.... he has to work against less atheletic lineman(Guards).... all Anderson does is bull rush so that fits the DT position..... IThe Coaching Staff has said that Anderson future position is DT....Now is the future

I think our d-line played best when they were rotating everyone in and out. As it stands right now, with the talent that we have, every player (except Abe) has one area they excell in and another where they are deficient. I liked the rotation of the linemen a lot. It seemed like the coaches did an excellent job of putting guys in situations where they could succeed. I think that Anderson could see some success at the UT position because of his physical attributes and his ability to play the run. It also allows Biermann and Davis, who I've always thought could perform and just needed the right opportunity (maybe a little FSU homerism :) ) to shine. Just a couple more weeks before we start to see the real deal on the field.

We were set to draft Amobi Okoye, but at the last minute we took Anderson instead because we "needed" a DE more than a DT.

What they didn't know is that DT Rod Coleman had injured himself in a jet-ski accident a few days before the draft, BUT DIDN'T TELL THE TEAM. Had Coleman told the team about his injury when it happened (instead of covering it up) we would have taken Okoye and had our DT of the future.

If you want to blame anyone for Anderson, blame Rod Coleman.

wow, never knew that

We were set to draft Amobi Okoye, but at the last minute we took Anderson instead because we "needed" a DE more than a DT.

What they didn't know is that DT Rod Coleman had injured himself in a jet-ski accident a few days before the draft, BUT DIDN'T TELL THE TEAM. Had Coleman told the team about his injury when it happened (instead of covering it up) we would have taken Okoye and had our DT of the future.

If you want to blame anyone for Anderson, blame Rod Coleman.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Strike, I think you have a valid point! We really do need another good DT especially with good reach and 30 lbs probably gets him there.

GO FALCONS!!!

On one play I remember in particular with JA98 at right DT next to Abe, he actually cleared a path for Abe and Abe nearly got a sack out of the deal. It was a great scheme and play and I would love to see more of this. Anderson may still be of use to us yet. Also, lined up at left DT, he did get Young wrapped up and could have had a sack, but Young managed to get the pass off. I think if Jamaal had gotten his hands into the throwing arm or something, there would have been a loose ball somewhere! I'd like to see JA98 lined up in the DT position more often in passing situations, he seems to play it pretty well.

The last couple of coaching staff's have kept C. Davis as a backup DE because he was a good run stopper. If J. Anderson is nothing more than a run stopper, why does he start in front of C. Davis?

The guy has talent, he needs to continue to work hard and give 110% on the field. He cant let his motor stop if he wants to be successful.

On one play I remember in particular with JA98 at right DT next to Abe, he actually cleared a path for Abe and Abe nearly got a sack out of the deal. It was a great scheme and play and I would love to see more of this. Anderson may still be of use to us yet. Also, lined up at left DT, he did get Young wrapped up and could have had a sack, but Young managed to get the pass off. I think if Jamaal had gotten his hands into the throwing arm or something, there would have been a loose ball somewhere! I'd like to see JA98 lined up in the DT position more often in passing situations, he seems to play it pretty well.

agreed. I think he has an obvious advantage against less mobile Gs inside.

The last couple of coaching staff's have kept C. Davis as a backup DE because he was a good run stopper. If J. Anderson is nothing more than a run stopper, why does he start in front of C. Davis?

The guy has talent, he needs to continue to work hard and give 110% on the field. He cant let his motor stop if he wants to be successful.

Maybe because he's a 1st round pick making millions of dollars? Teams frequently allow former 1st round picks to play more than their performance dictates, especially early in their careers. As time goes on, the luster of being a #1 diminishes and the player starts getting treated just like any other player.

However I'm not saying he's a bust at all. Maybe he will come around as the season progresses. If not, then maybe DT will become his full time position. If he's really super strong and prefers to use a bull rush then dt will be better for him in the long run if he can handle the position. Maybe someone in the Falcons FO can dust off some old tapes of Jumpy Geathers and show them to Jamaal in hopes that he will

try to emulate him. Jumpy was a fierce player with so much strength that he perfected the "fork lift" pass rush maneuver. He might have been the strongest DL in the league at one point in time.

I think Jamaal should start hanging out with Grady a lot more. Grady can teach him a thing or two about how to put on 30 or so pounds really fast. That seems to be something Grady is a vet for and is great at! :D Seriously though, I think moving him inside last night during some first stringers shows us that coach is interested of the outcome. I think it will work better in the long run for sure. I'm all up for it. Coach, give Jamaal Grady's phone number and tell him to get to work.