Does Matt Ryan deserve a free pass for the 2008 season..

AUGUSTA-FAN

790 AM says its alright to give Ryan a pass and excuse his mistakes. Vick, McNabb, Vince Young, Big Ben and others have took their teams to the playoffs by their 2nd year...

Ppl who don't like Ryan won't give him a pass in fact once MV out of jail they will be back. As for ppl who like Ryan will give him a chance regardless.

Ppl who don't like Ryan won't give him a pass in fact once MV out of jail they will be back. As for ppl who like Ryan will give him a chance regardless.

Jamaal Anderson had been given a pass in 2007, but now he is facing more criticism.

If Ryan wins, people won't have much to say. However, Vick has set the bar at a level that may be unattainable for ANY Atlanta QB in rgards to quarterback play and field success.

If Ryan wins, people won't have much to say. However, Vick has set the bar at a level that may be unattainable for ANY Atlanta QB in rgards to quarterback play and field success.

I think that a career passer rating of 75 and 0 Superbowl appearances is actually very attainable. Even Tim Couch was able to achieve that.

I think that a career passer rating of 75 and 0 Superbowl appearances is actually very attainable. Even Tim Couch was able to achieve that.

Same for the only QB to rush for over 1000 yds and the only QB who can single handedly carry bad teams to being playoff hopefuls. Yea that's easy to attain. I don't any other QB carrying the Falcons, maybe our defense and running game.

I am loyal to MV (being a hokie fan), but I realize that his time is over and that Matt Ryan is our future and want Matt to rip apart the opposing defenses(eventually).

GO FALCONS!!!

I am loyal to MV (being a hokie fan), but I realize that his time is over and that Matt Ryan is our future and want Matt to rip apart the opposing defenses(eventually).

GO FALCONS!!!

Believe me, I don't think anyone except maybe a few here today will expected greatness out of Ryan in his 1st season. The problem is the ones who aren't which is a lot.

790 AM says its alright to give Ryan a pass and excuse his mistakes. Vick, McNabb, Vince Young, Big Ben and others have took their teams to the playoffs by their 2nd year...

And all those players had a good supporting cast. None of them (I guess you could say Vick did if you wanted to) were anything more than caretakers to the offense at that point. Vince Young dropped off his third year, McNabb is chronically hurt, and Vick is in prison. The only person on that list who has actually started well and continued to do well is Big Ben, who had the luxury of the Steelers defense.

And all those players had a good supporting cast. None of them (I guess you could say Vick did if you wanted to) were anything more than caretakers to the offense at that point. Vince Young dropped off his third year, McNabb is chronically hurt, and Vick is in prison. The only person on that list who has actually started well and continued to do well is Big Ben, who had the luxury of the Steelers defense.

VY WR's gotten worst each season after his 2nd yr. McNabb WR's were average then T.O. came and McNabb/T.O. screwed that up. Vick is in prison, and Big Ben had weapons on his offense, more so then the other guys listed.

Every QB deserves a "free pass" in their first season. Does anyone remember Manning's rookie year? 28 ints

Before anyone even starts, I'm not comparing Ryan to Manning. I'm simply stating that as good as Manning is, he had a rough first year.

It seems like expectations are getting higher but more than likely, sooner or later Ryan is going to struggle.

VY WR's gotten worst each season after his 2nd yr. McNabb WR's were average then T.O. came and McNabb/T.O. screwed that up. Vick is in prison, and Big Ben had weapons on his offense, more so then the other guys listed.

The Titans need a new GM, no reason why this team doesn't get a quality wideout. At the least made a run for Boldin.

Mcnabb took the Eagles to the playoffs his 2nd year with his starting WR's as Torrence Small, Charles Johnson, and Na Brown...I don't know if anyone could ever do that again...just be thankful we got good WR's :)

Remember in 02' we had Finn when he was young and terrible as well as McCord, and Shawn Jefferson. Vick line wasn't too good either. Bob Whitfield bad eye was becoming two sided and the rest just sucked outside the run. Vick ability was the difference maker. As for McNabb, that was crazy. That defense was good but their line was just ok and the I can't remember the running back at that time for the Eagles.

Yea what Vick did for the Falcons was just plain amazing, and the running back for the Eagles back then was Duce Staley. Vick and Mcnabb are very special QB's and let their teams from the bottom to the top, heck they even met in a NFC champ contest. If Ryan can duplicate what Vick or Mcnabb did I would be ecstatic

McNabb and Vick brought something new and different to the game, no disrespect to Ryan but he isn't the first of his type to defensive coords. Ryan needs a much better supporting cast. Roddy solid but he's more of a T.J. Houz type player then superstar type.

Same for the only QB to rush for over 1000 yds and the only QB who can single handedly carry bad teams to being playoff hopefuls. Yea that's easy to attain. I don't any other QB carrying the Falcons, maybe our defense and running game.

You win. Matt Ryan will never rush for 1,000 yards and, in doing so, singlehandedly carry a bad team to the verge of the playoffs. Of course, neither would Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Joe Montana or any other HOF QB you wanna throw out there.

Hmmm... I'll take my chances with the good passer/poor runner for the SB win over the good runner/poor passer for a couple of futile playoff appearances. The truth of the matter is that those couple of futile playoff appearances is all Vick ever attained during his time here.

Well, that and a following that is as sizable as it is delusional and obsessive.

I have no problem with giving a rookie a pass. Fundamentally Ryan was OK, it was obvious that he was worried about making a mistake . . . he couldn't relax - common for many rookies. He's got a long way to go and the red zone is his nemesis. I'm not so sure about his arm potential yet. I still don't think that it would be wise to start a rookie QB and Redman should start. But hey with Ryan's contract that's probably the expectation. This was a Defensive game and the Falcons' Defense looked more competitive. I figure the first team that scored again after the first field goals would win it.

From where I was sitting and for the time that he had the ball, Redman did a fine job of moving the ball every series that he had it, but the penalties pushed him right back, he eventually got a score in a short time. Grimes did a good job and Jennings was surprising. Hats off to Norwood for the 39 yard run and finally putting the ball where Ryan could get a score in, it was obvious that they were keeping him in until he got one.

I don't put too much stock in preseaon, because we usually don't see the play calling that we are going to see come regular season. The coaches are evaluating fundamentals during this time.

Vick didn't do anything single handedly. IIn addition to Vick, that 2004 team had:-

Alge Crumpler (3 time rpo-bwoler)

Warrick Dunn (3 time pro-bowler)

Patrick Kerney (3 time pro-bowler and 2007 NFL Defensive MVP)

Rod Coleman (2005 pro-bowler, who deserved selection in 2004 as well)

Keith Brooking (5 time pro-bwler)

Deangelo Hall (2 time pro-bowler)

Allen Rossum (pro-bowl KR)

In 2005 and 2006 we added other pro-bowlers, like Abraham, and Milloy. We've also had guys like Justin Griffith who were close to pro-bowl level.

The idea that we had little or no talent, and that Vick "singe handedly" carried the organisation is total rubbish. Vick was a huge factor in opening up our league leading running game, but in 6 years he did nothing to suggest that he was anything other than a mediocre or below average passer. There were weeks where his contrubution (usually with his legs) played a key role in victroy, and there were orthers where his errors or shortcomings were a major contributory factor in losses. Vick contrubuted to our successes, just as he contrubuited to our failures. He wasn't solely responsible for either.

Guys on 790 also said its good the game was tape delayed because it gave them time to do other things beforehand (like VCR and TiVo didnt already give you that option). Those guys are pretty stupid.

I liked Vick but he never learned what McNabb and Steve Young knew: Great legs can be a weapon but shouldn't be your MAIN weapon in your arsenal. Vick could have used the threat of taking off like teams us play-action fakes. Keep 'em guessing, make 'em bite, and burn them when the opportunity presents itself.