After watching the youtube video of Ryan....

åntcap24

Only one thing concerns me that I have not seen mentioned.

He threw every time to the first receiver he looked at.

I commend him for his ability to make his pre snap reads and fire the ball away quickly, but I feel after watching the video he made a lot of good throws to receivers that may have not been his best option but found ways to complete passes to guy he read intially.

I want to see be able to look at his 2nd and 3rd options, stay poised, and find the reciever down field after the play develops a little bit more.

Actually thats exactly what your supposed to do. If your 1st read is open then you go there no matter what because thats what the play calls for. The coaches would actually get mad if he didn't throw that ball on his 1st read and the wr was open. Because that gives the defense more time to get in on you and cause a sack or a fumble or get a holding penalty on the line or anything bad to happen. You want to help your o-line out as much as possible and not having them work extra when they don't have to is gonna be better later in the game as it will keep them fresher and less injured.

Actually thats exactly what your supposed to do. If your 1st read is open then you go there no matter what because thats what the play calls for. The coaches would actually get mad if he didn't throw that ball on his 1st read and the wr was open. Because that gives the defense more time to get in on you and cause a sack or a fumble or get a holding penalty on the line or anything bad to happen. You want to help your o-line out as much as possible and not having them work extra when they don't have to is gonna be better later in the game as it will keep them fresher and less injured.

Maybe what he was thinking is there wasn't much attempts to look off defenders???? Don't know for sure, but you are right, if the 1st read is open, you go there with the ball. Who cares about read 2, 3, or 4 if the #1 is open.

I didn't notice much attempts to look off defenders, but we seemed to rely on a short, quick passing game tonight, maybe just to try & help build Ryan's confidence more, but there wasn't much time for him to be looking off with how quickly he was making the reads & throws.

Maybe what he was thinking is there wasn't much attempts to look off defenders???? Don't know for sure, but you are right, if the 1st read is open, you go there with the ball. Who cares about read 2, 3, or 4 if the #1 is open.

I didn't notice much attempts to look off defenders, but we seemed to rely on a short, quick passing game tonight, maybe just to try & help build Ryan's confidence more, but there wasn't much time for him to be looking off with how quickly he was making the reads & throws.

To me that works to his strengths. As i have said in other threads the guy is a younger hasselbeck. They are both cerebral and love to work the short field and let the WR's do the work for them. Not saying they can't hit the long ball but when your moving the chains like that consistently and working the clock while wearing down the defense who needs it. It will be there open for you when it's called for because of the short field stuff working so well.

Just watch this season, Ryan will work the short to intermediate routes and eventually the long plays will open up. Bank on it.

That and with the skill our receivers have in space (Roddy, Douglas) and the big chunks of yardage Norwood and Turner have been eating up, we'll have some big plays even if our passing game is more short-intermediate routes.

Exactly. They were open because of the "vanilla" defense used, with no game planning involved. The coaches are mostly evaluating talent for depth and roster spots.