Sam Baker's first half against Vanden Bosch

jidady

I put this in the gameday thread but that thing flies by so fast it got lost in the shuffle a bit.

I'm re-watching the first half specifically to watch Baker's play. Here are the results. Keep in mind that this is hurried since I only have about 20 minutes. Someone with more time can do it in further detail.

We gave him TE help a lot on the first series. On the final three plays, he was out on an island against Vanden Bosch and he did fine. He did so well on 3rd and 7 at 8:56 that I initially thought he got away with a bit of a false start. To the contrary, he just was that quick off the snap, which is impressive. At 7:28, he did a great job selling a fake on a quickout before moving on to the second level. On the following play, he did a great job handling the inside man (as he should) before switching off to deflect the outside man (Kyle Vanden Bosch *and* Jevon Kearse, I think...it can be hard to see the numbers on some plays without benefit of a replay from a different angle). That was an excellent first series for the kid.

On the first play of the next drive (14:23 in the second quarter), he did a great job of rolling his body on Vanden Bosch to take him almost completely out of the play (though Vanden Bosch *never* quits on a play so he still made contact at the end, which wound up getting him a 15 yard penalty). I liked that play a lot. On the next play, Vanden Bosch went into his bag of tricks and faked outside before driving inside. Baker kept his balance and then anchored as long as he could without getting a holding penalty. Vanden Bosch then hit the QB a bit after he had released the ball. It was a bit of a hurry and a bit of a late hit. This was on the missed pass to Roddy in the end zone, so you can look for yourself on the replays. That was the best Kyle Vanden Bosch has to offer and I say that as someone who has watched him play a ton and is a huge fan of the guy. Baker more than held his own and frustrated his opponent. I felt very good about Sam Baker as an NFL pro after these two consecutive plays.

Two plays later on a 3rd and 12 pass play, Baker absolutely pancaked a guy who may have been Vanden Bosch but I can't say that with complete confidence. He (seriously) was on the ground before I could get his jersey number. That's at the 13:19 mark of the second quarter if you want to enjoy it for yourself.

At 8:58 of the second quarter, the first play of the drive is a throw to Baker's side. He cut blocks Venden Bosch enough to take him out of the play. On the following play, Vanden Bosch lines up wider, hoping to take advantage of his speed against Baker. He is shoved out of the play with a surprising amount of ease. That was a good play and it came on the really nice catch by Jenkins, making a good play for the entire team as well. Next play is a spin move Baker deflects without a lot of trouble as the team completes a pass from Ryan to White that is undone by pass interference. He gets TE help on the next play and has little trouble handling an inside rush. On the next play, a swing pass, he does miss his block on #55. That's his worst play of the half to date and it comes in the most harmless of situations. On 3rd and 17, his job is to deflect Vanden Bosch outside in order to create space for Norwood while selling a pass. He does a fine job with that.

On 1st and 10 around the 3:15 mark of the second quarter, Kearse got a sack. I needed three replays to see what happened here because they missed the entire play in live action. After seeing it a couple of times, the pursuit came from the strong side while Baker wasn't even actively engaged at the time. Blalock and Baker both had Vanden Bosch on that play and when he went inside, Justin took care of him. On 2nd and 20, he bends Vanden Bosch to the ground on a completion to Ben Hartsock. On 3rd and 15, Vanden Bosch smells blood, so he doesn't get fancy. He tries to run over Baker and they engage in some Olympics-worthy Greco-Roman wrestling. It's a draw with Vanden Bosch nowhere near the QB.

On the final series of the half (the 1:15 mark), #77 is in for the Titans. This is Sean Conover, who has been in the NFL for 2+ years now and has zero career sacks. He is no Kyle Vanden Bosch. Baker doesn't have any trouble with him. On 3rd down, the overthrow to Roddy White, Conover tries to push him straight back into the quarterback and has some initial success. Then, Baker anchors and it's like a sumo wrestling putting his foot down. All forward progress is stopped.

Caveat: I am a fan of Sam Baker. I try to be as neutral as possible in my evaluations of players but if you ask me whether I like a player or not, I try to be honest. Baker is one I really, really like. I also think the world of Kyle Vanden Bosch, believing him to be in the discussion for best defensive end in the NFL. So, I am inclined to think highly of anyone who looks him in the eye and goes toe to toe with him. That's the truth in advertising portion of our show. Having said all of that, Baker had an exemplary first half pass blocking.

Thanks a lot for this, it is extremely rare to see such a thorough write up on the on the play of the offensive line, especially that of one person. Great job. This is great material for those of us that are not fortunate enough to be able to see the games.

I put this in the gameday thread but that thing flies by so fast it got lost in the shuffle a bit.

I'm re-watching the first half specifically to watch Baker's play. Here are the results. Keep in mind that this is hurried since I only have about 20 minutes. Someone with more time can do it in further detail.

We gave him TE help a lot on the first series. On the final three plays, he was out on an island against Vanden Bosch and he did fine. He did so well on 3rd and 7 at 8:56 that I initially thought he got away with a bit of a false start. To the contrary, he just was that quick off the snap, which is impressive. At 7:28, he did a great job selling a fake on a quickout before moving on to the second level. On the following play, he did a great job handling the inside man (as he should) before switching off to deflect the outside man (Kyle Vanden Bosch *and* Jevon Kearse, I think...it can be hard to see the numbers on some plays without benefit of a replay from a different angle). That was an excellent first series for the kid.

On the first play of the next drive (14:23 in the second quarter), he did a great job of rolling his body on Vanden Bosch to take him almost completely out of the play (though Vanden Bosch *never* quits on a play so he still made contact at the end, which wound up getting him a 15 yard penalty). I liked that play a lot. On the next play, Vanden Bosch went into his bag of tricks and faked outside before driving inside. Baker kept his balance and then anchored as long as he could without getting a holding penalty. Vanden Bosch then hit the QB a bit after he had released the ball. It was a bit of a hurry and a bit of a late hit. This was on the missed pass to Roddy in the end zone, so you can look for yourself on the replays. That was the best Kyle Vanden Bosch has to offer and I say that as someone who has watched him play a ton and is a huge fan of the guy. Baker more than held his own and frustrated his opponent. I felt very good about Sam Baker as an NFL pro after these two consecutive plays.

Two plays later on a 3rd and 12 pass play, Baker absolutely pancaked a guy who may have been Vanden Bosch but I can't say that with complete confidence. He (seriously) was on the ground before I could get his jersey number. That's at the 13:19 mark of the second quarter if you want to enjoy it for yourself.

At 8:58 of the second quarter, the first play of the drive is a throw to Baker's side. He cut blocks Venden Bosch enough to take him out of the play. On the following play, Vanden Bosch lines up wider, hoping to take advantage of his speed against Baker. He is shoved out of the play with a surprising amount of ease. That was a good play and it came on the really nice catch by Jenkins, making a good play for the entire team as well. Next play is a spin move Baker deflects without a lot of trouble as the team completes a pass from Ryan to White that is undone by pass interference. He gets TE help on the next play and has little trouble handling an inside rush. On the next play, a swing pass, he does miss his block on #55. That's his worst play of the half to date and it comes in the most harmless of situations. On 3rd and 17, his job is to deflect Vanden Bosch outside in order to create space for Norwood while selling a pass. He does a fine job with that.

On 1st and 10 around the 3:15 mark of the second quarter, Kearse got a sack. I needed three replays to see what happened here because they missed the entire play in live action. After seeing it a couple of times, the pursuit came from the strong side while Baker wasn't even actively engaged at the time. Blalock and Baker both had Vanden Bosch on that play and when he went inside, Justin took care of him. On 2nd and 20, he bends Vanden Bosch to the ground on a completion to Ben Hartsock. On 3rd and 15, Vanden Bosch smells blood, so he doesn't get fancy. He tries to run over Baker and they engage in some Olympics-worthy Greco-Roman wrestling. It's a draw with Vanden Bosch nowhere near the QB.

On the final series of the half (the 1:15 mark), #77 is in for the Titans. This is Sean Conover, who has been in the NFL for 2+ years now and has zero career sacks. He is no Kyle Vanden Bosch. Baker doesn't have any trouble with him. On 3rd down, the overthrow to Roddy White, Conover tries to push him straight back into the quarterback and has some initial success. Then, Baker anchors and it's like a sumo wrestling putting his foot down. All forward progress is stopped.

Caveat: I am a fan of Sam Baker. I try to be as neutral as possible in my evaluations of players but if you ask me whether I like a player or not, I try to be honest. Baker is one I really, really like. I also think the world of Kyle Vanden Bosch, believing him to be in the discussion for best defensive end in the NFL. So, I am inclined to think highly of anyone who looks him in the eye and goes toe to toe with him. That's the truth in advertising portion of our show. Having said all of that, Baker had an exemplary first half pass blocking.

Thanks very much for the first 1/2 break down. Very good and I agree with you, if we reached (we did a little) it was/is worth it.

Not a reach at all. People just don't seem to understand (not directing this at you btw) there was a run on OT's and he was the last quality OT left. After we took him, the Texans were forced to take the guy from VT (don't remember his name) and he was a 2-3 round prospect, but still ended up going in the 1st.

Way to break it down jidady.

We got another keeper in Baker

So glad we drafted him.

He's looking alot like a cornerstone LT

Reminds me of a quote for those who thought he was a reach.

"It doesn't matter where you draft a guy, as long as you draft him." - Bill Walsh

I remember 4 months ago, having to convince people that Sam Baker wasn't going to be the worst offensive lineman in NFL history. Glad to see that all those haters are packed tight on the bandwagon now. I'm also probably one of the only people to buy a Sam Baker jersey in April.

I'm on every one our draft pick's bandwagon til they're no longer with us...from Darrel Shropshire to Adam Jennings to Sam Baker... :D