Trent Dilfer on ESPN

bozoatl

When asked if ATL should start Matt Ryan, Dilfer's response was NO. He cited the rebuilding year, but the thing that got my attention was that he said basically the same thing Emmett Thomas said - this is not going to be a good team this year. Thus, don't throw Ryan to the wolves, let Redman take the lumps this season.

I gotta say I agree. Think what you will about Dilfer as a player, but he does have NFL experience, and it seems that guys who should know are in agreement that the Falcons won't produce much this year.

Think about it - the team has some talent in place, but lacks talent at several positions. Plus - what we have is a group of football players who have not yet gelled into a team. Barring injuries, I look for this team to get better as the year goes along, and I agree that Ryan should be held out from starting until possibly sometime in the second half of the season.

That said - I will root for the Falcons to win every time they take the field, and I'll be disappointed if they lose. But IMO, if they repeat a 4-12 record, that won't be too bad. Anything else will be icing on the cake.

JMO ^_^

I am usually one to be patient and let a player develop but the playing time will speed up that process. I can think of more backup QB's who wait for their big chance and seem raw even though they have been in the league a fews years than those that were rushed into the game. It is a bit difficult to prove if one of these players had more time then they would have been successful.

If I thought that the Falcons were missing a bunch of pieces on offense then I would agree but as of right now I believe the Oline is finally starting to take shape, Turner seems like the legit running threat, and finally after more than a decade the Falcons may actually have not just one but possibly 3 talented receivers.

Put him in coach!!!

I say keep him on the sideline if our O line sucks. But if the O line is competent, then play him. As stated, we're not picked to win many games anyway. Ryan could learn with the rest of the offense. This could be a chemistry building year @ least. I think it's garbage thinking that a QB can't start in his rookie year. It's about the O line protection & the simplicity of the offensive playcalling. Let the playbook grow as he grows. You don't know the mental makeup of a guy until you throw them in there. Tom Brady came in on a Patriots team only due to an injury to Drew Blesoe & we know the rest. Peyton Manning & Troy Aikman suffered bad rookie years & became elite QBs. We are paying this guy more than Manning & Brady; time to to flap his wings. Plus, he WANTS to do it.

If I thought that the Falcons were missing a bunch of pieces on offense then I would agree but as of right now I believe the Oline is finally starting to take shape, Turner seems like the legit running threat, and finally after more than a decade the Falcons may actually have not just one but possibly 3 talented receivers.

Put him in coach!!!

Obviously Ryan will learn more on the field, in the game. But given that the team may struggle, do you want to risk injury to him in a rebuilding year?

the Falcons are not as bad as the national media thinks. As near as I can tell, they just look at last year's team and look at all the vets that are gone. They do not account for the age/ injury/ lack of playing time those vets actually had. I know the rookies will make rookie mistakes. Actually I am looking forward to mistakes of aggression. They will only get better by playing and i think the team will be much better at the end of the year.

whats gonna be so differerent next season that would be different from this season if we dont start matt??he will basically still be a rookie because it would be his first real season game experience. this is what yall are not understanding. that would be 2 potential loosing seasons down the drain. throw him iin now so he can get adjusted. hes gonna take his bumps and bruises regardless of when he plays so the earlier the better.

We have lost guys due to injuries off the field in the past. We lost Vick before the 1st regular season snap in 2003. Injuries are fact of life in the NFL. I'm not saying throw him behind a scrub O line; but unless we are planning on drafting O linemen in the 1st 2 rounds or signing big name FA linemen next year; there is no need to wait.

If Ryan was the typical rookie it may take a year on the bench.

Ryan is unique, play the man.

I hear all the knee jerk reactions about playing rookie QB's.

Then I ask myself, How did Ben Rothlisburger do in his rookie season?

Ryan is at least the equal to Ben R.

Ben won 14 games wasn't it?

I am sure the knee jerk fan said sit him a year.

You never know how you look until you get your picture took, play MATT now!.

I think our running game is a strong part of the team and wil take some of the pressure off matt. The recievers look good, so as long as the team can block decent (so far so good) I see no reason no to start him. Even if they are as bad as the media thinks the experience he gets will be a good thing and will make the team better for next year and the future. However, if he is constantly getting sacked like qbs last year maybe it will be time to rethink the situation. As far as being worried he gets injured, whats the difference if he sits, either way he isn't playing and will be be on the sidelines, or on the press box watching the game and can learn there (and on tape) anyway. whats the difference?

We have lost guys due to injuries off the field in the past. We lost Vick before the 1st regular season snap in 2003. Injuries are fact of life in the NFL. I'm not saying throw him behind a scrub O line; but unless we are planning on drafting O linemen in the 1st 2 rounds or signing big name FA linemen next year; there is no need to wait.

this so called scrub o line of ours allowed turner to run for one hundred and somethin yards on only 4 carries. i dont get why yall are so quick to judge something, and we havent even played a real game at full strength yet. we do not have the same line from last year so get that out of your head.

With all things being equal, in that Ryan and Redman's play have been equal, they must start Ryan to gain that real time experience. It's true, he can gain some experience sitting and watching, but to do that puts him a year behind in the real life experience, which puts the whoe team behind. Things move fast in the NFL and the extra year of experience Ryan has will only help this team acheive the goal of winning the Super Bowl in the coming years. It's what every team has set as a goal. Why slow the goal by slowing the progress of your franchise QB?

When we drafted him, I was all for sitting him for a year. After watching him play two games, I must say I was pretty impressed and surprised by how composed he looked and how aggressive he was. I didn't want us to draft him either, knowing that guys like Henne and JDB would fall (and I thought they would suffice at the expense of some higher picks on D or along the OL).

With all that behind us though, they still have two weeks. Keep throwing him in there with the first team these next couple of weeks and evaluate it. If the OL looks like it is going to be a sieve, then let him learn at least through the bye week from the sidelines or press box. But, if in these last two games, he looks anything like he has the past two weeks (especially week 1), then give him his shot now and let him roll with the rest of the young guys.

So, I'm still clinging to letting him learn from the sidelines, but I'm not as extremely sure of that conclusion as I was coming into preseason. It might be the NFL bug hitting me, but I say evaluate for another two weeks and let the best man play if the OL looks like it can hold it's own over that time.

celtik

I dont see much upside to starting Redman.Ryan seems like he can adjust on the fly to anything the NFL can throw at him.Just watch him tonight he will throw the ball quick and on time,and if a play isn't there he will use his amazing feet to buy time for the strength of our team to get open.I do not expecting us to do great this year but i do think we will do better with Ryan and in the long run this xp Ryan is getting will be building blocks for next year.

Yeah I was in the group that wanted to bench him until we saw how this team played on the field.

After a couple preseason games I am not so sure of that strategy. The O-line looks much better than I had expected, and the running game is strong. We have a very good receiving corps here finally, and Ryan has looked confident throwing the ball. I think the decision to play him largely depends on how the rest of the team is performing. If we have a strong line and running game, then I am not worried about playing him.

When asked if ATL should start Matt Ryan, Dilfer's response was NO. He cited the rebuilding year, but the thing that got my attention was that he said basically the same thing Emmett Thomas said - this is not going to be a good team this year. Thus, don't throw Ryan to the wolves, let Redman take the lumps this season.

I gotta say I agree. Think what you will about Dilfer as a player, but he does have NFL experience, and it seems that guys who should know are in agreement that the Falcons won't produce much this year.

Think about it - the team has some talent in place, but lacks talent at several positions. Plus - what we have is a group of football players who have not yet gelled into a team. Barring injuries, I look for this team to get better as the year goes along, and I agree that Ryan should be held out from starting until possibly sometime in the second half of the season.

That said - I will root for the Falcons to win every time they take the field, and I'll be disappointed if they lose. But IMO, if they repeat a 4-12 record, that won't be too bad. Anything else will be icing on the cake.

JMO ^_^

Bozo - you are such a clown and so is your post :lol:

I agree with some of the other responders.......the offense is really starting to take shape. While the offensive line will not be "good" this year - I do believe they will not be horribly "bad" like they were last year and I think the O-Line will be adequate in pass protection. Matt moves around well in the pocket, too..........Also, I don't think ex-players like Dilfer really know how smart and poised young "Matty-Ice" is. Mentally, Matt Ryan is the sharpest QB to come into the league since Peyton Manning. It remains to be seen how good an overall QB Matt will be but he is up to the mental challenge - i have little doubt about that.

Matt will "take his lumps" this year and will have some successes as well. If he starts the whole season I would expect something like 18 TDs and 20 ints..............But he will be a grizzled, seasoned vet when 2009 rolls around - he needs to start - he's ready

Go Matt Ryan!!!

Go FALCONS!!!

It is a gamble either way. It all comes down to the qb's confidence.

If he is confident and can fight through a tough season - it will make him better (P Manning).

If he has no confidence and lets everything affect him - he ends up in sports counseling (J Harringon).

Matt Ryan seems confident - and I think the coaches think the same way. I think him playing this year will not hurt him - but just better prepare him for the future years.

One thing I hear scouts and "experts" refer to when asessing talent is "are they football players". We can look back at all the highly rated talent that was drafted in early rounds that ended up failing and in each case, you can point out that they had the skills and talent, but were not football players. The plyars show up prepared and ready to play. Adversity is just part of the job and they deal with it. I sense that from Ryan. He did not come from a stellar program in college, yet was able to rise to the top.

I thought Peyton Manning was all hype when he was drafted. I changed my mind when I saw him put 21 points on the Superbowl bound Falcons in 98. He was fearless and he was prepared to play.......Again, I see that in Ryan.

He was fearless and he was prepared to play.......Again, I see that in Ryan.

I think I finally see that 'it' factor that McShay and Mayock went on and on about. They made me sick to my stomach with their Matty love but evidently they knew something I didn't.

Tonight will tell the story. he is starting against one of the best defenses in the NFL. And this is as "real" as a preseason game gets. If he looks strong tonight, he is ready now.

Except that we're not allowed to watch :angry:

Guess I'll have to settle for the tape delayed game later tonight.

dams.h1.gif

Dam!