My take on who should start at QB

etherdome

Matt Ryan is our future, long term QB. I am already impressed with his quick start. He could start from day one. He has that kind of knowledge. However, I have seen too many rookie QB's get knocked around and psychologically scrambled. Regardless of how well he plays tomorrow, I would prefer that Redman start the first four games of the season.

Why? Because the OL must prove itself in real games before I put the franchise/cap space on the line. If our OL performs well for four games, then I would start Ryan and let him gain the experience this season. To me, that would be the best long term plan for our offense.

I think we should start Redman, but for different reasons. He was pretty impressive on a very bad team last season. We can assume that Redman knows the playbook better because he's been a Falcon longer. He got the playbook when the coaches came on board. Redman had mini-camps. Redman had last season to get familiar with the other players. I don't think we will make playoffs this year, although I am still hoping for them. But this is my take. Worst case scenario, Redman doesn't play well and Ryan takes over halfway through the season getting acclimated for next season, and we end up with a good draft pick to help build our roster. Best case scenario, Redman does play well, and we can trade him after the season for draft picks to continue building the rest of our team.

I know some on here will think yeah right, nobody will give up draft picks for Redman. Consider this. His salary is about a quarter of what starting QB's are getting paid in the league, if he has a solid season, teams would give up draft picks because of the performance vs the investment. If he was overpaid, we wouldn't get anything.

Matt Ryan is our future, long term QB. I am already impressed with his quick start. He could start from day one. He has that kind of knowledge. However, I have seen too many rookie QB's get knocked around and psychologically scrambled. Regardless of how well he plays tomorrow, I would prefer that Redman start the first four games of the season.

Why? Because the OL must prove itself in real games before I put the franchise/cap space on the line. If our OL performs well for four games, then I would start Ryan and let him gain the experience this season. To me, that would be the best long term plan for our offense.

Start Redman for 3 games, two days and three hours, then Ryan will be ready???

What a load of garbage.

Ryan is ready, however long he sits will just delay him being ready that much longer.

If DJ sits and ages like Whiskey for 20 years he will still not be ready.

Not now,

not 3 years from now

or 20 years from now wil DJ be ready to lead an NFL Team.

Ryan has superior skills to Shock, it is over. Start the man!

I think we should start Redman, but for different reasons. He was pretty impressive on a very bad team last season. We can assume that Redman knows the playbook better because he's been a Falcon longer. He got the playbook when the coaches came on board.

Wow - you're forgetting a couple things, and you're dead wrong on a couple others.

First, Redman was "pretty impressive" VS the Bucs right?? He went: 4/15 -- 34 yards -- 2 INTs :o :o :o

That was Chris Redman's TOTAL for the entire game... By far the WORST performance of the season (unless you count Leftwich, but he was a complete Flop!) ... sure Harrington got worn down after the Giants and Colts games -- Redman had some good games too. But you can't be serious going by that win over Seattle. Seahawks were playing their 2nd string D, and Chris had a field day.

Second, you're forgetting that Joey Harrington played under Mike Mularkey's Offense 2 years ago -- HE is the one who knows Mularkey's playbook, NOT Redman. And I think it shows since Joey has beaten out Chris so far, this Camp and pre-season. Redman had like 2 good passes last week - the week before he was lousy... He's also thrown 2 picks.

Don't expect the Detroit Lions to play their 2nd string like Seattle did last year. IF I'm Coach Smith I'll take every advantage I can get - Harrington sees the Lions as REVENGE still -- and remember last time he played his old team, threw 3 TD's and was MVP of the game.

harrington_275.jpg

I have to agree with Glanville here. I think Harrington gives us the best chance to win in week 1 because of his feelings towards the Lions franchise. I think Harrington also would give us the best chance in transitioning towards Ryan because he would at least keep us close in the games to keep player morale better. If Redman plays 3 weeks and we get blown out each week these message boards would get ugly!

Wow - you're forgetting a couple things, and you're dead wrong on a couple others.

First, Redman was "pretty impressive" VS the Bucs right?? He went: 4/15 -- 34 yards -- 2 INTs :o :o :o

That was Chris Redman's TOTAL for the entire game... By far the WORST performance of the season (unless you count Leftwich, but he was a complete Flop!) ... sure Harrington got worn down after the Giants and Colts games -- Redman had some good games too. But you can't be serious going by that win over Seattle. Seahawks were playing their 2nd string D, and Chris had a field day.

Second, you're forgetting that Joey Harrington played under Mike Mularkey's Offense 2 years ago -- HE is the one who knows Mularkey's playbook, NOT Redman. And I think it shows since Joey has beaten out Chris so far, this Camp and pre-season. Redman had like 2 good passes last week - the week before he was lousy... He's also thrown 2 picks.

Don't expect the Detroit Lions to play their 2nd string like Seattle did last year. IF I'm Coach Smith I'll take every advantage I can get - Harrington sees the Lions as REVENGE still -- and remember last time he played his old team, threw 3 TD's and was MVP of the game.

harrington_275.jpg

Good post, Jerry. Glad to see you're still around.