Some perspective on Quarterbacks....

What do these NFL QB's have in common?

Rex Grossman

Jake Delhomme

Rich Gannon

Brad Johnson

Kerry Collins

Trent Dilfer

All were starting QB's for their teams in recent Superbowls. Not exactly a HOF listing.

The point being that we tend to over rate the QB position at times in regards to team success. The Falcons can have a good record, (not necessarily a playoff bound team but much better than 2-3 wins some like to project), without Ryan having to perform like an allstar right out of the gate. If our defense shows itself to be solid and the running game is productive as hoped, then Ryan won't be expected to carry this team and therefor will hopefully avoid some of the meltdowns we've seen with other rookie QB's such as Leaf and Carr. I believe the way this team is being built will afford Ryan the best opportunity to be successful even as a rookie.

The game this week should give us a good indication of how Smith will use Ryan during the season, ie run vs pass. I'm optimistic.

also most of them LOST the superbowl lol

Long sigh....Of course that's not the point of the post. Another with their cup half empty. I imagine if you were given a choice of the Falcons making it to the SB but losing in it vs having a losing season, you would probably choose the losing season.

What do these NFL QB's have in common?

Rex Grossman

Jake Delhomme

Rich Gannon

Brad Johnson

Kerry Collins

Trent Dilfer

All were starting QB's for their teams in recent Superbowls. Not exactly a HOF listing.

The point being that we tend to over rate the QB position at times in regards to team success. The Falcons can have a good record, (not necessarily a playoff bound team but much better than 2-3 wins some like to project), without Ryan having to perform like an allstar right out of the gate. If our defense shows itself to be solid and the running game is productive as hoped, then Ryan won't be expected to carry this team and therefor will hopefully avoid some of the meltdowns we've seen with other rookie QB's such as Leaf and Carr. I believe the way this team is being built will afford Ryan the best opportunity to be successful even as a rookie.

The game this week should give us a good indication of how Smith will use Ryan during the season, ie run vs pass. I'm optimistic.

I'm far more concerned about our defense than Matt Ryan. (honestly)

I think Matt Ryan will at the worst be an average quarterback whereas our defense has the potential to be something really really ugly. ugly as in bad. bad as in horrdenous. horrendous as in dj shockley. dj shockley as in joey harrington. ugh this could take all day... joey harrington as in ... nevermind (jking i like joey)

im just saying, matt ryan is one person and the defense is a unit. one person is easily replaceable. easily as in not that easy. while it takes alot more teamwork to get a good defense going. teamwork as in talent, shcmes, coaching, etc.

And Matt Ryan wont meltdown, his nick name is... nevermind

Long sigh....Of course that's not the point of the post. Another with their cup half empty. I imagine if you were given a choice of the Falcons making it to the SB but losing in it vs having a losing season, you would probably choose the losing season.

Of course, we'd get a better draft pick... :rolleyes:

Sadly, I think for some that is the case...and I think that extends to all the "predictions" about specific players, too.

well hes got a point. none of those guys went back to a SB (right?), so I would rather have a losing season with my half empty cup of dissapointment for a season and have a chance to wint he superbowl in the future with Matt Ryan rather than be drinking my half full cup of hope and be devastated when we lose the superbowl.

agree with your assessment, jedi. Defense will be the key though, in particulary keeping Abraham injury free. Also, secondary might be the weak link. On the offensive side, i would like to say, that if O-LINE plays well, along with the running game we have, i don'i think it's imperative that whoever we start at qb. as long as its not Joey, go and play like worldbeaters. go FALCONS!!!

well hes got a point. none of those guys went back to a SB (right?), so I would rather have a losing season with my half empty cup of dissapointment for a season and have a chance to wint he superbowl in the future with Matt Ryan rather than be drinking my half full cup of hope and be devastated when we lose the superbowl.

Let's not forget a good ball-control offense can really help a defense look much better. Less time on the field and making teams play from behind create opportunities for defenses to look that much better.

A great defense needs an offense that is not constantly 3 and out.

now take a look at these QBs:

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Ben Roethlisberger

Eli Manning

these are the QBs that won all the recent SBs.

So I think it goes to show that a great QB is the difference between winning and losing the big game (with a couple exceptions over the course of the SB of course). Also note that besides Brady every team used high pick(s) to get their signal caller.