Curtis Lofton

1989Fan

Everybody seems so torn in the starting QB battle (understandably) but I cant believe nobody has made much noise about Lofton not getting to start with the # ones yet.

Herm Edwards once said a guy playing with the backups should stand out and make the guys around him better. Lofton has been a monster, but has not gotten a shot to start a game. If he doesnt start this week, should we assume Taylor is a lock to start the season?

I like both LBs, but with it being an open competition I can't believe Lofton hasnt started a game. I think he more than Harrington & Shockley has earned that right with his play. He is a true game changer and that is something we need on this D, especially since we still look weak on run D so far.

Michael Boley's opinion of him

"He's one of those guys that's a play maker." & "I think he's making a lot of wonderful improvements,"

Thoughts?

Ryan and Baker are rookies too, and they are getting tons of time with the 1s.

MLB was as bare as QB and LT to start camp.

Lofton has been as impactful @ his position as Ryan and Baker IMO.

I guess I just miss having that bone crushing, impact MLB we have missed since Tuggle, and Lofton is that guy. I like Taylor too, but he isnt a hammer like Lofton.

I just don't want anything handed to players this year... As the elder statesman, TT deserved to enter the camp as the starting MLB...and in the interview, even Lofton admitted to him not being ready to start early on anyway, as he often choked up with the signals.

I don't want Lofton starting simply b/c we drafted him to start. I only want him to start if he proves he's a better option than TT and he can handle it.

Just as Baker, Ryan and C. Jackson, and Douglas, to a lesser degree.

I just don't want anything handed to players this year... As the elder statesman, TT deserved to enter the camp as the starting MLB...and in the interview, even Lofton admitted to him not being ready to start early on anyway, as he often choked up with the signals.

I don't want Lofton starting simply b/c we drafted him to start. I only want him to start if he proves he's a better option than TT and he can handle it.

Just as Baker, Ryan and C. Jackson, and Douglas, to a lesser degree.

I agree. My thing is looking at him in game one and 2, I think he has earned that right no doubt. He is a true impact player, in the mold of Willis and Ryans.

They have announced that he is starting. He will not give

the job back imo.

they did? didnt see that. excellent. If he starts and performs at the level of wk 1 and 2, no doubt he will open as the starter.

This guy is a beast, and I LOVE the future of our LB corps w Boley, Lofton & Nicholas. ALL can (and will) ring your bell.

I agree. My thing is looking at him in game one and 2, I think he has earned that right no doubt. He is a true impact player, in the mold of Willis and Ryans.

The guy is most definitely a thumper...we can only hope that he is our version of Willis and Ryans. I would say he's off to a promising start, as he appears to be an upgrade over Keith in the middle the past two seasons.

Our LB corp will definitely be top10-15 should everyone play to potential. Stephen should find himself in a regular rotation on the outside w/ Keith and Michael, and Lofton's on the field on first and second down.

Our talent combined with our scheme may hide the few defeciencies we have concerning the interior DL and inexperience at corner.

But when you think about it, how many question marks do we really have among the DL?

A healthy Abraham brings a pass rush and Babs has shown flashes of being a capable pass rusher from the tackle spot. Grady clogs up the middle (can drop into coverage if need be) and J. Anderson has always held his own against the run.

Our LB may be our deepest corp and should be able to cover, stop the run, and pass rush, dependent on the mix...

In the secondary, we have reliable, veteran safety depth with Coleman, Milloy, and D. Cooper. Darren Stone is/will become a baller...Grimes has yet to disappoint...Houston is at least talented, if still raw...

Defense should be top 18 this year...

I really like this guy. I did read that he is starting against the Titans, so I'm guessing he will probably become the official starter by the season opener.

The thing I absolutely love about Lofton is how well he wraps up runners. If they get anywhere near him it's like watching a spider wrap up something in it's web.

I really like this guy. I did read that he is starting against the Titans, so I'm guessing he will probably become the official starter by the season opener.

The thing I absolutely love about Lofton is how well he wraps up runners. If they get anywhere near him it's like watching a spider wrap up something in it's web.

Yea, and it only gets better with snaps. Soon, nothing will get past him.

Great comparison, he is the MLB we expected E. Hartwell to be

He makes his presence felt every tackle that he makes

I love the idea of Nicholas, Lofton and Boley being "Da Future" (sorry GaFan couldnt resist I know your in this thread somewhere lol)

i agree, id love to see him start. but at the same time id be ok if he was put into the lineup later this year. i just want it to happen eventually. i trust the coaching staff to make that call, just like i expect them to handle the ryan situation well.

Lofton was lost in the first game and TT was running around and smacking people. I don't remember paying much attention the second game though.

obviously u weren't paying attention to the first game either if u thought Lofton was lost and Taylor was smacking people. U have it twisted buddy. Lofton was the one smacking people.