NFLPA Leader Gene Upshaw passes away

nuccah

NFLPA head Gene Upshaw dies

Thursday, August 21, 2008

NEW YORK (AP) Gene Upshaw, the Hall of Fame guard who as union head helped get NFL players free agency and the riches that came with it, has died. He was 63.

Upshaw's death was announced by the NFL Players Association, which he headed for a quarter century.

His outstanding 15-season playing career was entirely with the Oakland Raiders and included two Super Bowl wins and seven Pro Bowl appearances. Upshaw's biography was posted on the front page of the Hall of Fame Web site Thursday along with his enshrinement speech from 1987.

In 1983, he became executive director of the players' association and guided it through the 1987 strike that led to replacement football. By 1989, the players had a limited form of freedom, called Plan B, and in 1993, free agency and a salary cap were instituted.

Since then, the players have prospered so much that NFL owners recently opted out of the latest labor contract, which was negotiated two years ago by Upshaw and then-commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

Upshaw was criticized by some for not being tough enough in negotiations with Tagliabue, a close friend of the union head. He also was blamed by many older veterans for not dealing sufficiently with their health concerns.

But the salary cap for this season is $116 million and the players are making close to 60 percent of the 32 teams' total revenues, as specified in the 2006 agreement. In all, the players will be paid $4.5 billion this year, according to owners.

http://www.theredzone.org/absolutenm/templ...04&zoneid=1

the NFLPA needed a change in leadership, there is sure to be a deal done in time now. Gene Upshaw was an egotistical jerk off who did nothing to help the league or its players. While im not sad to see him go, i do wish his family peace.

Spot on, except that I don't know his family, so whatever.

if you were an nfl vet like terry bradshaw or mike ditka etc. you would agree seeing as how gene upshaw is a snake and is supposed to work for the players union yet did everything he could to make sure the league as had the best end of the deal and shafted them on medical benefits after what they put their bodies through for this game. the league needs a new labor agreement and last time we needed that gene upshaw refused to have meetings with the league and prolong it is long as possible. we dont need an uncapped year and the consequenses and thats what it would have come to if gene was still IN POWER!

the NFLPA needed a change in leadership, there is sure to be a deal done in time now. Gene Upshaw was an egotistical jerk off who did nothing to help the league or its players. While im not sad to see him go, i do wish his family peace.

I didn't want to be the first to say it, although its true.

RIP Upshaw, and may your family live long upon the Earth.

if you were an nfl vet like terry bradshaw or mike ditka etc. you would agree seeing as how gene upshaw is a snake and is supposed to work for the players union yet did everything he could to make sure the league as had the best end of the deal and shafted them on medical benefits after what they put their bodies through for this game. the league needs a new labor agreement and last time we needed that gene upshaw refused to have meetings with the league and prolong it is long as possible. we dont need an uncapped year and the consequenses and thats what it would have come to if gene was still IN POWER!

The players make sixty percent of the profits, yet the League has the best end of the deal?

I have alway believed that it is wrong to talk bad about the dead. So will just say rest in peace. But the NFLPA will be better off in the Future because of this loss.

I do believe that he was more intrested in helping the players of today who paid is salary rather then the players who started the NFLPA. and who if not for them there would be no NFLPA for these over paid egotistical idiots of the present NFL.

I totally agree with you but the only reason I said wow eas because he just died, I don't care to much for him neither but he just died. I don't like to say bad stuff about dead people and I bet his death made alot of people happy.

The question is how will this affect the next contract. Will we now see a cap on rookie salaries? Will this make more underclassmen come out early because they're scared there will be a rookie salary cap? Can the Falcons take advantage of this? Inquiring minds want to know!

That's a union for ya

The players make sixty percent of the profits, yet the League has the best end of the deal?

Hard to say things about a dead guy..

but if he were still alive, many would tell you he needs to go. Just a weird day for the league I guess. And for the record, 60% of the profits going to the players is well and good, its the facts that retired players are not taken care of thats the problem. Not current players.

Hard to say things about a dead guy..

but if he were still alive, many would tell you he needs to go. Just a weird day for the league I guess. And for the record, 60% of the profits going to the players is well and good, its the facts that retired players are not taken care of thats the problem. Not current players.

Is that something current players would have to agree to?

I read that this pancreatic cancer was only diagnored last week!..what the?..

Usually the signs for this type of cancer don't appear until the cancer is in the advanced stages. With symptoms like abdominal pain this disease is hard to detect. I hope for the best for his family, some of these negative comments are unnecessary, Upshaw despite his negatives did do quite a few positive things for the players and fans.

Usually the signs for this type of cancer don't appear until the cancer is in the advanced stages. With symptoms like abdominal pain this disease is hard to detect. I hope for the best for his family, some of these negative comments are unnecessary, Upshaw despite his negatives did do quite a few positive things for the players and fans.

ESPN is reporting he only found out he was ill this past Sunday.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Is that something current players would have to agree to?

First the executive of the NFLPA would have to bring up the issue. From what I heard, Upshaw never would do that so the current players had no say because it was never brought up in the meetings. We will see what happens, but I am sure there will be stuff written about the future of the NFLPA without Upshaw. Ill keep tabs on those and give you a better answer after that.

ESPN is reporting he only found out he was ill this past Sunday.

Condolences to his family and friends.

I heard that as well, I believe it that form of cancer has a VERY high death rate, it's amazing when guys like Patrick Swayze found it and are fighting it.. usually a person doesn't even get a fair shot at fighting the disease.

I heard that as well, I believe it that form of cancer has a VERY high death rate, it's amazing when guys like Patrick Swayze found it and are fighting it.. usually a person doesn't even get a fair shot at fighting the disease.

I think that is true. I believe this form of cancer is usually well advanced before many symptoms appear. Also, it was mentioned on ESPN that he handn't been feeling well, but put off seeing a doctor.

First the executive of the NFLPA would have to bring up the issue. From what I heard, Upshaw never would do that so the current players had no say because it was never brought up in the meetings. We will see what happens, but I am sure there will be stuff written about the future of the NFLPA without Upshaw. Ill keep tabs on those and give you a better answer after that.

So at the meeting , a player can't stand up and say why don't we do something about the old-timers and their healthcare?