Ex-Gator Hornsby charged.

jgator21

Hornsby has maintained the entire time that he was given the card and didnt steal it so at least this colaborates with that a little. Hes still an idiot and Im really surprised their is a coach out there that would even let him play for their football team at this point.

Ex-Gator Hornsby charged

By Lise Fisher

Sun staff writer

Prosecutors filed four counts of unauthorized use of a credit card against former University of Florida safety Jamar Hornsby Monday, the State Attorney's Office reported.

Sun file photo Jamar Hornsby was released from the UF football team after his arrest.Alachua County Sheriff's deputies arrested Hornsby, 21, in May and accused him of charging close to $3,000 on a credit card issued to Ashley Slonina, a UF student killed in October 2007 in a motorcycle accident. Also killed in the crash was walk-on UF football player Michael Guilford.

A redshirt sophomore at the time, Hornsby was released from the football team following his arrest.

The charges are based on the usage of a BP business gas card in November 2007 and again in January, March and April of this year, according to court records.

Officers initially reported they had been told by a relative of Slonina that Hornsby helped clean out the apartment she and Guilford had lived in.

But State Attorney Bill Cervone said further investigation did not confirm that information or evidence Hornsby stole the card. Hornsby's lawyer instead told prosecutors Slonina had given the credit card to Hornsby and told him he could use it, Cervone said.

Slonina's family noticed charges on the card and alerted officers, according to court records. The same records say Hornsby made 70 charges on the card in Alachua and Duval counties.

Based on additional investigation, however, Cervone said his office only is proceeding with charges in instances where it appears Hornsby may have let others use the card after Slonina's death.

The money charged in these cases tallies less than $200, Cervone said.

"What could be proven was charged," said State Attorney's Office spokesman Spencer Mann.

Slonina's family had hired a private investigator who videotaped the card being used at a gas pump, Mann said. The tape was provided to law enforcement and prosecutors.

Each count pending against Hornsby is a first-degree misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine, according to the State Attorney's office.

Hornsby initially had faced prosecution on a felony charge of illegal use of a credit card and a misdemeanor charge of larceny of a credit card, according to Alachua County court records.

Hornsby's lawyer, Huntley Johnson, said his client will plead not guilty and that he believes that there will be a resolution to the case without a trial.

Johnson said Hornsby is playing football at East Mississippi Junior College.

What he did is obviously a terrible thing. But I can kind of imagine the kid sitting there and thinking "well she's not alive anymore so they can't make her pay the bill. This is basically free money". Now I know that logic is terribly flawed and I might be way off base in my opinion of what he was thinking. But in all honesty I think there are several players each year who do things that could potentially be more dangerous and many of those players are allowed back on their teams eventually. Maybe the kid is just a simple thief, unconcerned with anyone but himself. But maybe he just did it thinking that no one was going to be forced to pay the bill.

What he did is obviously a terrible thing. But I can kind of imagine the kid sitting there and thinking "well she's not alive anymore so they can't make her pay the bill. This is basically free money". Now I know that logic is terribly flawed and I might be way off base in my opinion of what he was thinking. But in all honesty I think there are several players each year who do things that could potentially be more dangerous and many of those players are allowed back on their teams eventually. Maybe the kid is just a simple thief, unconcerned with anyone but himself. But maybe he just did it thinking that no one was going to be forced to pay the bill.

I think he did it without thinking about it all to be honest. I really think the kid took the mind set of "Well its mine now" and like you said didnt even think about who was paying the bill.