The Falcons can lose without them

FalconMama

The Falcons can lose without them

By Terence Moore | Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 10:49 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Now Joe Horn is gone, courtesy of the Falcons cutting the four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver on Tuesday. This follows the forced exits over the last few months from Flowery Branch of veterans Warrick Dunn, Rod Coleman, DeAngelo Hall and Alge Crumpler.

Good moves, all.

In the eternal words of Branch Rickey after he traded future Hall of Famer Ralph Kiner from the woeful Pittsburgh Pirates during the early 1950s, “We can finish last without you.”

Here’s the point: With most of those guys, the Falcons spent the last three seasons going from mediocre (8-8) to bad (7-9) to worse (4-12). With any of those guys still around, the Falcons would continue to go through this year as the antithesis of a Super Bowl team. That is to say the Falcons aren’t going anywhere great for a while.

So, if you’re in charge of the Falcons, featuring a new general manager and a new head coach, why not switch to younger players? If nothing else, why not just get some different players?

Let’s say the Falcons had kept Dunn, an NFL dinosaur at 33, but a nice ambassador for this Michael Vick-damaged franchise. With Dunn, the Falcons wouldn’t have gotten Michael Turner. Not only is Turner seven years younger, but he is flashing signs of being more than just the backup running back that he was to LaDainian Tomlinson with the San Diego Chargers.

Hall? Too much yapping and not enough starring. Coleman and Crumpler? Highly injury prone. The same goes for Horn, who says he is healthy now after missing much of the Falcons’ workouts of spring and summer with a hamstring problem.

So, if you’re in charge of the Falcons, you clear your old (as in age and otherwise) roster as much as you can, you cover your eyes, and then you hope 2009 will be better than your upcoming woes of 2008.

AMEN to that!!!! I'd like to beat Terrance Moore's head like a cowbell, most of the time. He must've been high when he wrote this, this is as close as I've ever seen him come to writing a complimentary article about the Falcons!

DOn't worry. He'll be ripping them again tomorrow.

I must have missed something.............was there really a point to this article?

It's poorly written (as everything by Moore appears to be -- seriously, how does this man have a professional job as a writer?) but it's about as complimentary as Moore is capable of getting. Of course, by virtue of the writer's own prejudices, it is naturally a backhanded compliment, e.g. "Getting rid of Horn is a good move because you already suck so why suck with an overpaid 4th string WR on the roster?"

In other words..... The team got younger and better with the offseason moves.

And - don't expect too much in 2008. Look for '09 to see real improvement.

About cutting the vets, Moore says, "Good moves, all."

I have to admit, I don't disagree with him this time. As much as I usually despise his articles, I think he's on point.

ATL won't be a 1-15 team, but I don't see them doing much better than 4-12. If they do, I will be estatic! Not being negative, just trying to be realistic. I think most wins will come toward the end of the season, as the team matures and begins to gel.

Why question how good of a writer a guy is just because you don't like his opinion? Can't take an opinion that isn't the same as yours?

Anyway, Moore is right here. If the Falcons are going to lose, they might as well lose while breaking in younger players. How many of you actually want Dunn back? DeAngelo Hall? Alge Crumpler? Not to say they were bad players (far from it), but these players got us to a 4-12 record last year. Maybe different players will yield different results.

Dunn's best days are probably behind him, so it's probably a good thing he's gone. Crumpler wasn't always the best at catching the ball and has been hurt a little. Also, almost all of Atlanta was ready to run DeAngelo Hall out of town after the Carolina game here last year. If you hated him at that point, you're a hypocrite for wanting him back.

None of those guys were going to help us build for the future, so let them go and bring in younger players. The crop we have now will eventually lead us to playoff appearances while the ones we let go would have only gotten older and less productive. I see absolute nothing wrong with Moore's piece this time.