heres something to ponder

freebird587

& we only win 1-3 games....will that be ok with you.....i wouldnt gripe about it to much since thats pretty much the norm for a rookie starting at qb in his first year....thoughts?

So long as the team is competing and playing good football. I think if we do that we should win at least 6 games. If we only win 1-3 games, we will have major injuries, so lets dont even talk about that.

if we won 1-3 games, i wouldnt mind it too much. obviously i would have liked more wins but we are dealing with a rookie here. we cant expect him to take us to the playoffs or anything. he needs time to develop. but i see us winning more than 3 games so yea. hooray for optimism
yea..as long as we show sings of getting better & matt starts getting better at his reads, then i could live with whatever our record is, as long as we win more than at least one game because i would hate for the experts to be right on that one

As long as the OL is improved to the point where Ryan won't be getting sacked 40+ times this season like what happened to the team's starting QBs last year.

If the OL is improved I see the 2008 Falcons as quite possibly being like the 1998 Colts.

In 1998, the Colts, after a league worst 3-13 record, drafted Peyton Manning and let him start his rookie season. Manning struggled his rookie year and the team repeated it's 3-13 mark. However, Peyton was sacked only 22 times that season compared to 60+ sacks for Colts QBs the year before including 41 sacks of Harbaugh. Peyton passed for 3700 yards, 26 TD, 28 INT, and 56% completion that season though. Very valuable experience, and one could already see that he was starting to "get it" at the end of the year. He was aided by 1300 rushing yards and 6 TD from veteran RB Marshall Faulk.

The following season, Manning led the Colts to a complete turnaround 13-3 season and the division title. They never looked back and have been high flying since.

Enter 2008, the Falcons, Matt Ryan, and Michael Turner.

I think Turner can get the same production that Faulk gave the Colts in 1998. This would help out Matt Ryan tremendously. Once again, if the OL is improved and Ryan takes less than 25 sacks, he could do very well for a rookie QB. So what if the team only goes 4-12 or 5-11. They are rebuilding this year.

Next year is where I would expect Ryan and the Falcons to really make a push for the division title.

1998 Colts with Manning and Faulk ---> 2008 Falcons with Ryan and Turner

Maybe, if the team's OL can pass and run block reasonably well.

I'll never be happy with a 1-3 win season. That's just not cool.

I'm not ready to sign Turner up for a 1300 yard season yet, but I think between him and Norwood we'll definitely get that kind of production out of the running game. Ryan should be okay if he starts, and I would rather get him experience than spend time developing a QB who doesn't have as high as ceiling as Ryan (like Redman, we might win more games this season, but it probably wouldn't amount to anything in the grand scheme of things). That said, start Ryan, and if he does badly, that's fine, but 1-3 wins is never something that the team should make an option.

I'll not be "happy", but neither will I be ready to "clean house" again. In addition to Ryan, you have to remember that we will likely start three other rookies, Baker, Lofton, and Jacklson as nickel. They will all make their share of mistakes, but if we can stay healthy, I think we will have a much improved product from last year and will have laid a good foundation for build on for the next few years.

Honestly I'll be very unhappy. I want to see the team win, if we play a QB just to get him in and experienced while we lose it won't make me feel any better. The team is losing games because of one player(assuming the losses are Ryan's fault).

How many of you say it's not about one person but the team? So you should be let down the team loses, not upbeat because our rookie QB got to play.

who cares about who we'll draft next season, we don't have a couple more years to teach more rookies how to help us win. the goal for every team and coach is to play to their strength and win games NOW. the coach up in new england understands this concept. he started that franchise with a bunch of nobodies and taught them about TEAMWORK. let's hope smitty take this squad and do the same. AND I'VE STATED BEFORE, START ALL OF YOU BEST PLAYERS NOW. THE YOUNG ONES WILL HAVE THEIR TIME.

We are not in full fledged rebuilding mode like a Kansas City. If we were

Brooking, Milloy, Weiner, etc.would likely be gone. Instead of Turner we

would have drafted somebody. This team is going to be competitive this

year. We were able to win 4 last year and I think we will double that.

I liked what falcons2000 said, the most important issue is the beating he takes. More important than record and touchdown passes, i say experience and if we can keep sacks down for Matt, That would be the best scenario, unless we can for some reason contend, i for sure can see Jerious and Michael combining for 1300.

I would never be happy with 1 or 2 wins. 3 wins I could understand with a rook qb.

It's not up to me, but I would start Redman the first games and if we only have a few wins by mid-season, then send Marttie Ice in. But if we are near 500, keep Redman in there till we see if we make the play offs or not.

The way it looks, if Ryan has a good game against the Titans, he will most likely be the starter.