Lofton may get to join Falcons’ starters

atljbo1

Lofton may get to join Falcons’ starters

By STEVE WYCHE

Flowery Branch — Quarterback Matt Ryan might not be the only Falcons rookie getting his first start this week.

Linebacker Curtis Lofton, a second-round pick from Oklahoma, could open with the first defensive unit in Friday’s preseason game against Tennessee at the Georgia Dome. Second-year Georgia product Tony Taylor started the first two preseason games against Jacksonville and Indianapolis.

Coach Mike Smith would not confirm whether Lofton will start, but said he wanted to see how he would respond playing with the first team.

Lofton has worked almost exclusively with the second-team base defense. The big hitter is considered to be a run-stuffing linebacker who comes off the field when a nickel package (five defensive backs, two linebackers) is used in passing situations.

Left offensive tackle Sam Baker and cornerback Chevis Jackson have been the only rookies to start. Jackson might play in reserve but assume his likely role as the starting nickel back Friday. Projected starting right cornerback Chris Houston has recovered from a dislocated shoulder and is expected to make his first start of the preseason.

finally i thought Taylor was gonna dust him for the job. atleast we will see him doing something with 1st team, but taylor still has the job on LOCK!

He can't be dusting him when Lofton is out playing him even with the 2nd string guys. Lofton is the future and taylor will be his extremly talented backup :D

Although i wouldn't mind seeing Taylor move to WLB in the future as i think he is a better coverage LB and let lofton man the middle since he brings the wood on run plays better.

He can't be dusting him when Lofton is out playing him even with the 2nd string guys. Lofton is the future and taylor will be his extremly talented backup :D

Taylor 1st string, but he is still locking it up. im sorry, but lofton gets cam time. ive seen 2 tackles by taylor, where the game just left him, but if lofton is near a play, then he is on cam. but of course 2nd round pick< UDFA to average fans, who dont really follow the falcons.

Taylor 1st string, but he is still locking it up. im sorry, but lofton gets cam time. ive seen 2 tackles by taylor, where the game just left him, but if lofton is near a play, then he is on cam. but of course 2nd round pick< UDFA to average fans, who dont really follow the falcons.

See you know for a fact im not a average fan ;) I have watched them both closely as i have a DVR and go over the game quite a good bit. As of right now Lofton is out playing him but not really that much better. I think it could go either way and i think they should situate to what kind of down it is and what play they thinks coming. I would put Taylor in on passing plays and lofton in on running plays.

[quote name='GEORGIAfan' date='Aug 20 2008, 10:41 PM' post='3856684']

finally i thought Taylor was gonna dust him for the job. atleast we will see him doing something with 1st team, but taylor still has the job on LOCK!

Gafan, Taylor is playing very well this preseason and I think the coaches see it on film. He will be hard to unseat!

GO FALCONS!!!

tell you the truth man i'd leave the defense like it is for a while. i thought the first string did a decent job for the past two games. we're ranked ten in defense in the preseason so far

i agree for the first 8 weeks lets keep it like this. i mean milloy even said it the starters feel confident with taylor as MLB. he is getting help from abe, milloy, boley and brooking. it seems they are helping him be starter, plus was in a similar system in college, but UGA is a little bit more aggressive.

See you know for a fact im not a average fan ;) I have watched them both closely as i have a DVR and go over the game quite a good bit. As of right now Lofton is out playing him but not really that much better. I think it could go either way and i think they should situate to what kind of down it is and what play they thinks coming. I would put Taylor in on passing plays and lofton in on running plays.

I think they play pretty much the same, since lofton is playing 2nd/3rd string, and taylor is playing 1st. Honestly the Sack wasnt special. i mean the play is designed so that one LB is open, so he gets the sack, and lofton happened to be him, plus he was running so fast he almost missed the opening.

Can't wait to see Lofton with the first team, I still love taylor as a special teamer or a backup, but Lofton is the future at MLB.

honestly i wouldnt be so excited just yet.

i agree for the first 8 weeks lets keep it like this. i mean milloy even said it the starters feel confident with taylor as MLB. he is getting help from abe, milloy, boley and brooking. it seems they are helping him be starter, plus was in a similar system in college, but UGA is a little bit more aggressive.

I think they play pretty much the same, since lofton is playing 2nd/3rd string, and taylor is playing 1st. Honestly the Sack wasnt special. i mean the play is designed so that one LB is open, so he gets the sack, and lofton happened to be him, plus he was running so fast he almost missed the opening.

honestly i wouldnt be so excited just yet.

Being truthful i wasn't even talking bout the sack im talking about his play in general you should know by now i don't look at stats GF you should think of me better than that by now. From what i have seen Lofton is just around the ball more often than Taylor has been. But as i said taylor has played much better coverage than lofton has. So i would situate them and keep them both healthy on plays that play to their strengths.

Also when you said i wouldn't be so excited just yet, I think he should eb because your just as excited about taylor and neither of them have really done that much more than the other. So he has a right ot be just excited about lofton as you taylor at this point in time ;)

Being truthful i wasn't even talking bout the sack im talking about his play in general you should know by now i don't look at stats GF you should think of me better than that by now. From what i have seen Lofton is just around the ball more often than Taylor has been. But as i said taylor has played much better coverage than lofton has. So i would situate them and keep them both healthy on plays that play to their strengths.

Also when you said i wouldn't be so excited just yet, I think he should eb because your just as excited about taylor and neither of them have really done that much more than the other. So he has a right ot be just excited about lofton as you taylor at this point in time ;)

yea i know you are, but im talking about the 2nd game. in the first it seemed like taylor wasnt ready, but he moved from 3rd team to 1st in one year, which is BIG! I think Taylor is really good at both is the better middle player, but lofton kills on Run stuff, but ive seen taylor get some tackles for losses. I could see us running a 2 MLB system or running a 3-4 system with gravy here. i mean we are deep at LB, and we move Abe over to WLB and Boley stay SLB and we should be good. or Boley WLB and abe SLB.

yea i know you are, but im talking about the 2nd game. in the first it seemed like taylor wasnt ready, but he moved from 3rd team to 1st in one year, which is BIG! I think Taylor is really good at both is the better middle player, but lofton kills on Run stuff, but ive seen taylor get some tackles for losses. I could see us running a 2 MLB system or running a 3-4 system with gravy here. i mean we are deep at LB, and we move Abe over to WLB and Boley stay SLB and we should be good. or Boley WLB and abe SLB.

To be honest.. he didn't really move anywhere, we just decided to let Brooking play at his natural position (because we have a smart coaching staff for once) and there was really no one left to play MLB except Taylor, who only had the slight edge from the start because he wasn't a rookie. Don't get me wrong I think hes a solid player, just not the big run stuffer that Lofton is.

To be honest.. he didn't really move anywhere, we just decided to let Brooking play at his natural position (because we have a smart coaching staff for once) and there was really no one left to play MLB except Taylor, who only had the slight edge from the start because he wasn't a rookie. Don't get me wrong I think hes a solid player, just not the big run stuffer that Lofton is.

i saw one of his tackle he out ran brooking on the weak side to get the TFL. he might not be a better run stuff, but he is a better coverage guy, which is what our LBs got to do, plus he is good at stuffing the run. not much is gonna get passed him.

Taylor played well, i think he had 2 TFL against Indy. I'm hoping one of them will stand out in the next 2 games so we name a starter, otherwise it will be a really tough decision.

Lofton will be starting the 4th preseason game, and taylor will be resting for the Lions game.

Lofton will be starting the 4th preseason game, and taylor will be resting for the Lions game.

I think Lofton will start......Im sorry...... I like Taylor but what we need at MLB is a run stopperI think its like the Matt Ryan and Chris Redman situation........ At the end of the Day...... Lofton is our guy(Lofton is overall better)

I think Lofton will start......Im sorry...... I like Taylor but what we need at MLB is a run stopperI think its like the Matt Ryan and Chris Redman situation........ At the end of the Day...... Lofton is our guy(Lofton is overall better)

im sorry, but i dont agree. i think we will put the best, and while lofton is more atheltic, i think taylor;s ability to read defense and ability to gel with the rest of Defense will make him starter, then lofton moves to WLB.

Tuggle

Taylor or is it Tuggle jr.?

i think i see a little similarity. ;)

How can you compare him with Tuggle GAFan......... Taylor played solid that 2nd game..... but Talor has not made any big impact plays...... so i dont see the tuggle thing........................Another thing......i will dis agree with the fact that you guys think Taylor is way better then Lofton in coverage

How can you compare him with Tuggle GAFan......... Taylor played solid that 2nd game..... but Talor has not made any big impact plays...... so i dont see the tuggle thing........................Another thing......i will dis agree with the fact that you guys think Taylor is way better then Lofton in coverage

it was a little joke bro, and it was a pic comparison, since they have a good bit of things in common.

it was a little joke bro, and it was a pic comparison, since they have a good bit of things in common.

I cant lie... i like Taylor...... Dude is a under dog and he does his thing....... He produces...... Taylor reads a Defense like a vet does.....But Its just Lofton is a monster..lol...