Weiner’s return could affect Forney

atljbo1

Weiner’s return could affect Forney

By Steve Wyche | Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 04:51 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Flowery Branch — Veteran right tackle Todd Weiner is set to take some snaps with the first team during Friday’s preseason game against Tennessee at the Georgia Dome. Coach Mike Smith did not say if Weiner would start but he did want to see a “unit” that could end up starting.

Smith did not say if guard Kynan Forney was among the unit. Forney is working behind Harvey Dahl, who has done just about everything possible to hold on to the starting job. The coaching staff has been curious to see if Forney, the longtime starter, would respond to the demotion that was made over the summer. I’ve been told that Forney has been highly competitive but Dahl continues to get the majority of the reps with the first unit.

With Weiner coming back, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Forney get more first-team reps. Those two have played alongside each other for years and Forney might function better with someone familiar.

In other news, rookie middle linebacker Curtis Lofton will be getting a lot of work with the first defense, Smith said. The staff wants to see how he holds up and meshes with the first-team players. Tony Taylor has started until now but Lofton is the future at that position and the coaching staff wants to see if he is trustworthy enough to start working into the mix.

I dont think Coach Smith need to mess with the current Starting O-Line..... Dahl and Clabo has played really well together and the O-Line finally look like one unit

AND

I really want to see Curtis Lofton with the First Team unit

I dont think Coach Smith need to mess with the current Starting O-Line..... Dahl and Clabo has played really well together and the O-Line finally look like one unit
Smith knows Weiner is the best OL we have. If Todd can come back, he will take the RT spot and Dahl and Clabo will compete at RG IMO.

Smith knows Weiner is the best OL we have. If Todd can come back, he will take the RT spot and Dahl and Clabo will compete at RG IMO.

Im sorry but i disagree....... I feel like this Clabo and Dahl unit looks real good..... The O-Line has gelled...... Lets not mess it up......

Im sorry but i disagree....... I feel like this Clabo and Dahl unit looks real good..... The O-Line has gelled...... Lets not mess it up......
Yeah, they look good. But I think the PS is for experimenting and executing. So far, Clabo and Dahl look great. I think Smith wants to see how Todd does with the RG(Dahl or Clabo).

the Dahl-Clabo tandem does look good but they are overwhelmed when blitzes come at them. I'd prefer a Clabo-Weiner. But hey, I trust the coaches' decision will be best for the team at the end of the day...

Where have you seen this........I get you guys like Weiner.....I do to but Dahl and Clabo has been really good this preseason (Against some of the best Defensive teams)