Taylor mays on usc's offense "I don't think anybody really impresses me on our offense."

SacFalcFan

USC's Mays: Offense? We don't need no stinkin' offense!.

LOS ANGELES -- USC free safety Taylor Mays is just like you. He doesn't know who USC's starting quarterback is going to be against Virginia. Unlike you, he doesn't much care.

He wants a reporter to know that this is USC-2008, and USC-2008 is about one thing: defense.

"The only time the offense has success is if we mess up," Mays said while negotiating the post-practice festival of autograph-seekers packing Howard Jones Field that is a staple of the USC experience.

"I don't think anybody really impresses me on our offense, but the offense is going to be alright. They've got a lot of athletes and a lot of great players, too. But I'm not going to give them any pub because we're a defensive football team."

Asked who's stood out for him on the Trojans defense during preseason practices and Mays ticks off about eight names before just saying, "Everybody."

"Everybody on our defense is a cover-story player, is special," May said.

Mays leads the crew in terms of pure ability. He might, in fact, be the best athlete in college football, considering he's the best all-around athlete on the Trojans.

Mays ran the Trojans fastest 40 time during the off-season: 4.25.

And he weighs 235 pounds.

At times, there has been talk that he was too linebacker-big and that he should lose a few pounds to improve his lateral quickness.

"I can't lose any weight because my body fat is too low," he said. "It would be unhealthy and I'd be going to rehab for anorexia."

But the athleticism has been a given for Mays since he was everybody's All-American coming out of Seattle's O'Dea High School. Entering his third year as a starter, Mays points to another "muscle" -- his head.

"I just know the defense," he said. "I understand what I really need to do to be a great safety."

Which is why the preseason Playboy All-American is expected to declare for the NFL draft at the end of the season, when he'll likely be picked in the top half of the first round.

As for this season, Mays believes this Trojans defense can match that of last year's model, which ranked second nationally in total defense (273.2 yards per game) and scoring(16.0 points per game).

In fact, he thinks it can exceed 2007's spectacular unit for one reason: He anticipates it creating more turnovers -- the Trojans forced 28 last year, which ranked third in the Pac-10.

"We recognize that one of the few weaknesses we had in the defense last year was turnovers, so that's been our primary focus," he said.

So maybe all those interceptions QB Mitch Mustain has been throwing aren't such a bad thing?

But seriously, Taylor, who's going to be the quarterback?

"I don't think it really matters," he said, "because we're going to play well on defense regardless."

*** He actually said he didn't see any playmakers on their offense and then said on defense everyone is a cover-story player. The article had that quote in there earlier, but then it was removed. That's pretty interesting. ***

I saw this earlier and hadn't gotten around to posting it yet.

Like I said in my review that sucked, the defense is amazing and overwhelmed the offense several times while I was there. There we not a lot of long gains against the D. There are playmakers but the USC D > USC O. There was a play a from a couple of scrimmages ago, where Travon Patterson (USC's fastest WR) had broken away and was running full speed down the sideline, and Mays came from across the field and caught him. I've known since last year that the D was going to carry the team this year.

Like I said in my review that sucked, the defense is amazing and overwhelmed the offense several times while I was there. There we not a lot of long gains against the D. There are playmakers but the USC D > USC O. There was a play a from a couple of scrimmages ago, where Travon Patterson (USC's fastest WR) had broken away and was running full speed down the sideline, and Mays came from across the field and caught him. I've known since last year that the D was going to carry the team this year.

dude it didn't suck.. I complimented you on it and would love to see more of that from posters. I thought it was great.

I would be pretty concerned if I was a usc fan if sanchez can't play against virginia. You don't want his first game to be against ohio state 2 weeks later.

dude it didn't suck.. I complimented you on it and would love to see more of that from posters. I thought it was great.

I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic. :lol: After reading it a 2nd time through I didn't really think it said a whole lot. I'd try and make it out to more practices/scrimmages but it doesn't work too well with my work schedule.

I would be pretty concerned if I was a usc fan if sanchez can't play against virginia. You don't want his first game to be against ohio state 2 weeks later.

I think that we'll be seeing Sanchez against Virginia. He was throwing to the receivers today and moving around, in addition to some rehab. I think he'll be fine though. I expect the OSU game to be a pretty low scoring game.

I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic. :lol: After reading it a 2nd time through I didn't really think it said a whole lot. I'd try and make it out to more practices/scrimmages but it doesn't work too well with my work schedule.

oh no I was giving you a sincere thank you. I thought it was nice to see a breakdown from practice like that from a fan's perspective. So often national writers slant their reports to be more positive than it truly was. For instance I read a scrimmage breakdown for auburn's rivals site that the so-called professional writer who did it sounded like a freaking cheerleader. I mean there was nothing negative and he talked up backups like their were all-americans. Those kind of reports to me are useless ya know.

I think that we'll be seeing Sanchez against Virginia. He was throwing to the receivers today and moving around, in addition to some rehab. I think he'll be fine though. I expect the OSU game to be a pretty low scoring game.

i think against osu sanchez really just has to manage the game and use his playmakers on offense and let the defense control osu.

Another note about the USC QB situation. I've read that Aaron Corp has gained a lot of ground on Mustain and the coaches feel that his skill set (More specifically his ability to move around and run) may be better right now that we're breaking in a new OL and it hasn't exactly been the best OL we've seen at USC. I'd say that their passing is comparable but I too might give Corp the edge after watching them both in person, even if it was only once.

not worried a bit because of a couple reasons.. Sanchez has playing experience, in big games at that.. He played against the best offense college football has seen in some time last yr @ Oregon. Also we dont really need a big passing game from Sanchez, honestly on offense this is the 1st yr in some time where the QB doesnt have to be spectacular. Our offense will run the ball a ton, our WR's are still young but we will get just enough from Turner & I expect a breakout yr from Ausbury.. The bottom line is I dont care who we play anyone especially Ohio St. No one is putting up big points against our Defense. Either way things are again sunny in So Cal this time of yr..

yeah two great defenses, its gonna be a great one, I think if we contain Beanie we have no problem beating them.. Our TB's will get their's against that OSU D.

Another note about the USC QB situation. I've read that Aaron Corp has gained a lot of ground on Mustain and the coaches feel that his skill set (More specifically his ability to move around and run) may be better right now that we're breaking in a new OL and it hasn't exactly been the best OL we've seen at USC. I'd say that their passing is comparable but I too might give Corp the edge after watching them both in person, even if it was only once.

Ive actually heard that as well, AC's mobility is a huge thing to Pete Carroll.. Truth be told he tried super hard to get Jake Locker. AC is kind of comparable to Sanchez, although he actually has more mobility.. I was kind of shocked how accurate he is when I saw tape on him..

it definitely feels good to know u have Sanchez now, Corp coming & the Great Barkley in the hole.

i heard the same thing on rivals radio when they interviewed the usc writer who covers the team. if mitch is passed by corp he will truly be in a very very tough spot.

i heard the same thing on rivals radio when they interviewed the usc writer who covers the team. if mitch is passed by corp he will truly be in a very very tough spot.

He'll be in some trouble indeed. If he were to transfer, would he be allowed to redshirt again? Or will he use a year of eligibility while not being able to play?

not worried a bit because of a couple reasons.. Sanchez has playing experience, in big games at that.. He played against the best offense college football has seen in some time last yr @ Oregon. Also we dont really need a big passing game from Sanchez, honestly on offense this is the 1st yr in some time where the QB doesnt have to be spectacular. Our offense will run the ball a ton, our WR's are still young but we will get just enough from Turner & I expect a breakout yr from Ausbury.. The bottom line is I dont care who we play anyone especially Ohio St. No one is putting up big points against our Defense. Either way things are again sunny in So Cal this time of yr..

Well the last year for y'all to not need spectacular QB play would have been when Bush/Lenwhale rushed for 1k a piece (bush with over 1800) Leinart was still great that year though.

Well the last year for y'all to not need spectacular QB play would have been when Bush/Lenwhale rushed for 1k a piece (bush with over 1800) Leinart was still great that year though.

Its very much that same situation this year, we have so many weapons on offense & our WR's are so young that Sanchez isnt going to be throwing the ball a ton..

He has looked really good. Look at the UF scrimmage thread I posted last night. It has some comments about him from Urban in it that are really good.

I think he can help Tebow a ton & Florida can get right bk in the SEC title mix this year

the Defense is a bit shaky but youll be #2 right behind Georgia if things go ok injury wise