Dish Network

Vicious

I'm about to switch cable providers from backwoods cable ( cable tv of east alabama ) to dish network. I was thinking of getting the top 250 + the Turbo HD Gold. Does anybody currently have that package or something close to it? How does the cable do during storms? Is it worth it to get the top 250 + the gold hd package or would the top 200 + the silver HD be good enough? The only reason my wife wants the 250 is because of boomerang. All I really need is the 200 because it includes the NFL network.

I don't know about the total package but I just got the Platinum HD package only. So far its pretty good though they repeat the HD channels all over the dish. 2-3 channels of each show. My recepetion isn't bad but I live on top of a hill so no signal blockage. I kept basic cable as my internet is bundled with it.

I don't know about the total package but I just got the Platinum HD package only. So far its pretty good though they repeat the HD channels all over the dish. 2-3 channels of each show. My recepetion isn't bad but I live on top of a hill so no signal blockage. I kept basic cable as my internet is bundled with it.

I bought an antenna from wally world for about $30 bucks with a 50db gain amp on it. I'm picking up all of my locals with 100% strength when amplified. I already swapped to the AT&T DSL internet so I won't have to rely on cable for anything if I switch. I do have 3 large water oaks in my yard, but I have a good clear shot from the front yard, hopefully.

I can't remember which one I have because I've had it for years and it used to be the top 50, then 80, 100 etc. The Turbo thing is new, I'm not planning on going Turbo HD, I'll stick with my existing HD. Turbo says it can deliver 1080P which is sweet, but I think that's only for the on demand content, which I can get now.

Oh as for weather related outages,what I've observed is that if cable goes out it stays out, if satellite goes out, it comes back quickly.

I can't remember which one I have because I've had it for years and it used to be the top 50, then 80, 100 etc. The Turbo thing is new, I'm not planning on going Turbo HD, I'll stick with my existing HD. Turbo says it can deliver 1080P which is sweet, but I think that's only for the on demand content, which I can get now.

Oh as for weather related outages,what I've observed is that if cable goes out it stays out, if satellite goes out, it comes back quickly.

That's true. My mother in-law said the cable in our area was down almost all day yesterday. Heck, it tiles even with a 0dmv signal level with a signal to noise ratio of 35. Their plant is so old. The Turbo HD is only $10 more on top of a programming package or it is priced as a seperate package as a stand alone if you want just 100% HD.

Been with Dish about 2 years now, and have loved it from day one. Just recently upgaded to a HD DVR. Outages are very rare, and are over within minutes. I haven't ugpraded to the Turbo HD as it's something that has recently been released. I'm happy with the HD line up I have, it absolutely kills what Charter Cable had at the time I left them.

I'm about to switch cable providers from backwoods cable ( cable tv of east alabama ) to dish network. I was thinking of getting the top 250 + the Turbo HD Gold. Does anybody currently have that package or something close to it? How does the cable do during storms? Is it worth it to get the top 250 + the gold hd package or would the top 200 + the silver HD be good enough? The only reason my wife wants the 250 is because of boomerang. All I really need is the 200 because it includes the NFL network.

Vicious, I have Dish Network with the 250 channel package. I love it. You get NFLN, plus all the ESPN's, and your local FSN. I also got the local channels for, I think, about $3.00 more a month. Unfortunately, Dish doesn't have NFL Ticket.

As for the weather, it will sometimes go out in a thunder storm. It will also go out if you have a snow or ice storm that covers the dish (but that is easy to fix, just knock the snow or ice off the dish and you're good to go). Because the outages are all tied to the dish being able to pick up the satelite signal, the outages are usually rare and don't last long.

Vicious, I have Dish Network with the 250 channel package. I love it. You get NFLN, plus all the ESPN's, and your local FSN. I also got the local channels for, I think, about $3.00 more a month. Unfortunately, Dish doesn't have NFL Ticket.

As for the weather, it will sometimes go out in a thunder storm. It will also go out if you have a snow or ice storm that covers the dish (but that is easy to fix, just knock the snow or ice off the dish and you're good to go). Because the outages are all tied to the dish being able to pick up the satelite signal, the outages are usually rare and don't last long.

Awesome. I don't really care for the NFL Sunday ticket because I live just out of the blackout zone and never miss a game. For some weird reason, though, Columbus is one of like three cities around here that for some reason does not offer locals. That's okay though because I have that antenna and pick them up in HD just fine over the air.

if you only had NFL sunday ticket, then id be chilling watching TV at your crib all the time.

I have purdigital(thru my dorm) and i get ESPN ESPN2 ESPN news ESPN classic and ESPN U, plus ESPN the ocho.( love dodgeball) and i have NFL network and Speed TV. im am set with those. i dont change from those channels, but i havent found where USA, but once i do ill be watching psych and monk.

I have dish now, had direct before a storm knocked it off line then they wanted me pay either 80 bucks or $5.99 a month to fix it. I had direct for 8 years and I thought they should fix it for free, so I changed to Dish, other than finding the new channels I have no quarrel with it. My local channels (which I didn't get with direct) show the falcons. Yes dishnetwork 200 does have the nfl channel, but I got used to directv so it makes for a learning curve for me. You mentioned Boomerang (for your wife) It comes with 100 or 250, but not 200, nfl comes with 200 or 250. So unless you have 250 someone's going to suffer.

I have dish now, had direct before a storm knocked it off line then they wanted me pay either 80 bucks or $5.99 a month to fix it. I had direct for 8 years and I thought they should fix it for free, so I changed to Dish, other than finding the new channels I have no quarrel with it. My local channels (which I didn't get with direct) show the falcons. Yes dishnetwork 200 does have the nfl channel, but I got used to directv so it makes for a learning curve for me. You mentioned Boomerang (for your wife) It comes with 100 or 250, but not 200, nfl comes with 200 or 250. So unless you have 250 someone's going to suffer.

She says it's for my son, but I know she's a closet cartoon nut! :lol: I went ahead and ordered the 250. I really wanted the NFL network and she really wanted the boomerang channel. We'll be paying the same as we are now for far more HD and standard channels. I'm wandering if I can connect the hd dvr to my pc through firewire, usb, or ethernet. If so I can transfer the games to my hard drive.

She says it's for my son, but I know she's a closet cartoon nut! :lol: I went ahead and ordered the 250. I really wanted the NFL network and she really wanted the boomerang channel. We'll be paying the same as we are now for far more HD and standard channels. I'm wandering if I can connect the hd dvr to my pc through firewire, usb, or ethernet. If so I can transfer the games to my hard drive.

thatd be nice, you can upload them for us fans who cant watch them

thatd be nice, you can upload them for us fans who cant watch them

That's mainly why I got the over the air antenna last week. I can hook it to my pc's tuner and record in hd. I did this last week and was going to make a few clips of the game. However, about half way through the 3rd quarter my parents showed up to take my son bowling, and my wife wanted them to see the video we took of our other son (it was hilarious). So I had to load the software for the camera to our new pc and for some odd reason this particular software required a reboot. I'm thinking it was just going to leave a small gap in the recording. Yeah, about that, it erased it. Should have saved progress and the did it. It was my first go at it with it though so I should definitely get it this time. All those plays everybody wants to argue over will have irrefutable evidence in the end should I deem it necessary to prove a point :lol: .

• 3 weeks later...