Richt on A.J. Green: ‘We’ll get him in the game’ **Updated including lifting numbers*.

SacFalcFan

Richt on A.J.: ‘We’ll get him in the game’

By Chip Towers | Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 10:18 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

This just in: A.J. Green will play this season. Probably in the first game. Probably a lot eventually.

OK, that’s probably not breaking news. It has been pretty evident since Green committed to Georgia nearly two years ago that he was probably going to see the field the first time he trotted through the gap in the hedges the day of a game. But coach Mark Richt removed all doubt yesterday when asked about the long, tall wideout from Summerville, S.C., who has been sidelined much of the preseason with a hip flexor injury.

“He’s just missed so much, you know?,” Richt said at first, making you think he was about to say something different. Then …

“All I can tell you about him is we’re going to get him in the game. I don’t know when but we’ll get him in the game.”

Here’s the deal: Green has struggled a little with grasping the offense. The thing is, in Georgia’s system, when Matthew Stafford calls a pass play in the huddle, it’s not as simple as the split end (Green’s position) runs a deep post on said play. Once they get to the line of scrimmage, the coverage that the secondary is in will dictate the route. Both the quarterback and the receiver have to recognize that and agree on it silently. Often, the quarterback may check out of one play and into another based on the defense. Now another whole set of options is introduced.

Said Richt: “[Green’s] still got a long way to go. There’s still some things he just does naturally extremely well. But there’s still that learning curve to try to understand the offense, a particular route, how we want it run, how we want it run against different coverages. There’s lot of nuances he’s got to get comfortable with. But it’s good to get him back going.”

That said, it’s still just football and there’s nothing stopping offensive coordinator Mike Bobo from just calling specific plays for Green on occasion. You can pretty much count on the Dogs, trying to hit him deep a couple of times in the first couple of games. But by the time they get to South Carolina in game three, the sophistication of the defenses will jump 10-fold. It’ll get more complicated.

But something tells me you’ll see the Dogs go to Green a lot in Columbia. The Gamecocks went after Green hard, especially after he committed to Georgia. I’m sure the Bulldogs would love to showcase him.

We’ll see soon enough.

Sing it: SEC better than Big Ten

You have to check out the song — and accompanying video — written by college football enthusiast Ryan Parker. The title says it all, “SEC Is Better Than the Big Ten.” …

CBS schedule leaked

Wondering what games may end up on CBS later this year? It’s normally a closely-guarded decision not finalized until the last possible moment. But apparently it intentionally or unintentionally leaked its tentative schedule on the Internet. You can see a copy at SouthernSaturday.com.

You'd better, Coach!

:angry: :unsure: :ph34r:

Sounds to me as if Green is a little nervous, but I think what will wane as soon as he learns the nuances of the offense bit by bit.

CBS TV lineup according to Southern Saturday:

09/13 - 2:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. Georgia @ South Carolina (CBS HD)

09/20 - 2:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. Florida @ Tennessee (CBS HD)

09/27 - 2:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. Tennessee @ Auburn (CBS HD)

10/04 - 2:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. Florida @ Arkansas or Kentucky @ Alabama (CBS HD)

10/11 - 2:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. Tennessee @ Georgia (CBS HD)

10/11 - 7:00 p.m.-9:30 p.m. LSU @ Florida (CBS HD)

10/18 - 2:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. LSU @ South Carolina (CBS HD)

10/25 - 2:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. Georgia @ LSU (CBS HD)

11/01 - 2:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. Georgia-Florida (CBS HD)

11/08 - 2:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. Alabama @ LSU or Georgia @ Kentucky (CBS HD)

11/15 - 3:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m. Notre Dame @ Navy (CBS HD)

11/15 - 2:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. South Carolina @ Florida or Georgia @ Auburn (CBS HD)

11/22 - 2:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. Ole Miss @ LSU or Tennessee @ Vanderbilt or Arkansas @ Mississippi St. (CBS HD)

11/28 - 1:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m. LSU @ Arkansas (CBS HD)

11/29 - 11:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Georgia Tech @ Georgia (CBS HD)

11/29 - 2:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. Auburn @ Alabama (CBS HD)

12/06 - 11:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Army @ Navy (CBS HD)

12/06 - 3:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m. SEC Championship

Also:

Sat., Sept. 20 Georgia at Arizona State 8:13 p.m. (ABC)

Lordy, Lordy...my cup runneth over with UGA Fooball! B)

Not a lot of news to bring to you today. Kind of status quo for the most part. Dogs going in full pads and probably will get after it pretty good today because the tentative schedule calls for them to go through a dress rehearsal for the game Wednesday (or maybe Thursday depending on a possible change).

Anyway, some observations:

Looks like injuries for two potential starters: OG Tanner Strickland was in green and only walking. Left the field and headed to the training room early. Also, LB Akeem Dent was in green sans pads and walking very gingerly around the field. I’ll have to check with CMR after practice but neither looked like they were going to bounce back in the next day or two… . DB Makiri Pugh (ankle) was riding a stationary bike beside OL Chris Little. … On the positive side defensive ends Rod Battle (sports hernia) and Jeremy Longo (broken hand) were still in green but participating in more of the drills… .

FWIW, just noticed today that C Chris Davis can snap the ball with either hand. Seems to alternate almost every snap but I couldn’t establish a pattern. I’m sure opposing DCs will try to. But I guess Davis could switch up to mess with their heads. I’ll try to remember to ask him or Richt about it… .

Speaking of Davis, he seems well entrenched as the starting center now. Ben Jones is still getting work there but I almost never see him with the 1s. On that note I keep seeing the same five with the 1s — LT Tripp, LG Vance, C Davis, RG Glenn, RT Davis.

That’s all for now. More after practice.

I’ve been bugging DVH and the strength and conditioning folks for some of the weight room numbers on the players this summer. A lot of you guys asked about it and I’ve heard it was a phenomenal year. for instance, I know that at least four players tied or broke Brannan Southerland’s power clean record. I know it used to be 385 and the new one is 400 but I can’t recall exactly who all reached it… . Anyway DVH and his asst. Keith Gray told me it’s a compliance issue. But they’ve supposedly been working with the UGA compliance director to find out what they can and can’t disclose. So I’m hoping to get something on that pretty soon… .

scott: Dontavius Jackson appears to have fully recovered from his wrist injury and is getting a lot of work in practice because of injuries to others. I would’ve said earlier he was a good candidate to redshirt but Richt said the other day that he expected all the freshman skill players to play this season. We’ll see.

POST-PRACTICE REPORT

OK, got the lowdown on a few things:

First, as always, the injuries: CMR didn’t think the situation with Tanner Strickland was too serious. Said it’s a sprained foot (this dogged him all last season) but that Strickland said he would be back Wednesday… . LB Akeem Dent is bothered by a hip pointer. It’s pretty painful but otherwise CMR said Dent would just “have to suck it up.” They’re going light the next couple of days so he should be OK… .

Dress rehearsal for Georgia Southern at stadium is going to be on Thursday. So the practice for the dress rehearsal is going to be tomorrow. This will be a lot of run through in shorts and no pads. So not much competing for positions the next couple of days. Lineups are pretty much set at this point… .

Lots of scout work on Georgia Southern: Richt said they usually don’t begin on an opponent until 10 days out but they started on the Eagles two weeks out because they are “so different” on offense and defense especially. “What we understand is they’re very similar to West Virginia [on defense], which is like a 3-5-3 or whatever. That’s not like anything we’re going to see.” … Richt said last year they did a lot of QB run but thinking it’ll be more pass-oriented out of the spread this season like coach Chris Hatcher did while he was at Valdosta State. “We’re not sure of anything,” Richt said… .

Richt said RG Bean Anderson has been getting some work at right tackle and has actually looked very good out there. Said he’ll probably get reps at both guard and tackle versus Southern and they’d reevaluate afterward. “We’re very, very unsettled” on the O-line, he said… .

HERE’S THOSE WEIGHTROOM NUMBERS I PROMISED:

Top three for the various disciplines are: Bench press — DT Jeff Owens (520 pounds), OG Bean Anderson (500), FB Brannan Southerland (475); Back squat — OG Tanner Strickland (700), OT Kante Tripp (645), Southerland (635); Power clean — LB Dannell Ellerbe and FB Shaun Chapas (400); Southerland, LB Darius Dewberry, TB Richard Samuel (387)… .

Power index (pound-for-pound strongest): CB Bryan Evans (6.50), **CB Prince Miller (6.48), FS Reshad Jones (6.37); Total lifts — Strickland 1,535 pounds, Southerland 1,497 and Owens 1,490.

For total team perspective: The 2008 team has 36 players that can bench 400 or more pounds, which ties for 2005 as its most ever… . They have 40 players that back squat more than 500 pounds, which is second only to the 2005 team’s 46… . 61 players can power clean 300 or more. That’s nearly three times as many as they had in 2002 (27).