What is your biggest problem with John McCain?

silentbob1272

First this thread is strictly about McCain, please keep the other guy out of it, I'm curious to see people's take on McAmnesty.

I have many problems with him, but as I have read more about him, I've found that we have a common ground in several area's as well.

Far and away my biggest gripe with McCain is The Kennedy-McCain Immigration Bill, the one giant mistake of the Reagan Administration was granting amnesty to illegals, Reagan however did not have (and ignore) the history to look back on that McCain now does to plainly tell him what a huge mistake this is. McCain chooses not to accept the word amnesty, but a politician can play semantical word games all he likes, this bill was absolutely another amnesty proposal. He refuses to see it (even though he has claimed to "Finally get it" ) I don't believe him for a second.

Our most common ground is with abortion

He has voted Pro-Life down the line and seems to actually believe what he says on this one. He does believe in circumstantial exceptions, as do I, such as rape, incest, and mother's life.......but a true danger to the mother, not the bs that goes on today, that stress is used as a reason for example. I believe (and he says that he does as well) that life absolutely begins at conception, to kill that life is murder.....there is no reasonable or "meet you half way" way of saying that, even the reasons I listed earlier, I would term as justifiable homicide under the law. Morally, it is to each person to answer to God or their own conscience.

There are several others that I could list on each side, but there is a start.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On Policy? Who knows either candidates policy on anything?

But in General..the guy made a career out of being an outsider and now he is so close to the worse of the worse, Bush, you can hardly tell them apart.

That to me is enough to make me dislike him. And it is sad because at one time he was the only politician PERIOD I had respect for.

I remember when he went on 60 minutes and said the troops did NOT have the personal or vehicle armor they needed when all the conservatives were saying they did.

What the **** happened to THAT John McCain? I HATED Bush when they drug him through the mud, called him mentally unstable and "the F*G candidate." Now he hugs Bush and carries the party line with the best of them.

I dislike him because he USED to stand for something and now stands for seemingly nothing except being elected.

PS, why should pro life or not matter to anyone? Has any conservative admin ever overturned abortion being legal? Will they? So if you are not going to DO anything about it, who cares what you THINK about it? That is just another political football to kick around.

I think McCain loves his country and is qualified to be commander-in-chief, and that he recognizes the current enemy and the importance of eliminating them.

I don't care for his amnesty-love, and his campaign finance reform was an inexcusable violation of the First Amendment.

PS, why should pro life or not matter to anyone? Has any conservative admin ever overturned abortion being legal? Will they? So if you are not going to DO anything about it, who cares what you THINK about it? That is just another political football to kick around.

Not true in this election in particular, one perhaps even two justices likely will be replaced soon. If McCain puts two more judges on who actually interpret the Constitution rather than insert their beliefs into the law.....bye bye Roe vs Wade.

Not true in this election in particular, one perhaps even two justices likely will be replaced soon. If McCain puts two more judges on who actually interpret the Constitution rather than insert their beliefs into the law.....bye bye Roe vs Wade.
Yes, because the Supreme Court is willing to have massive rioting in this country. Abortion is split 50/50 in this counrty. They aren't dumb enough to hear it again.

Our most common ground is with abortion

He has voted Pro-Life down the line and seems to actually believe what he says on this one. He does believe in circumstantial exceptions, as do I, such as rape, incest, and mother's life.......but a true danger to the mother, not the bs that goes on today, that stress is used as a reason for example. I believe (and he says that he does as well) that life absolutely begins at conception, to kill that life is murder.....there is no reasonable or "meet you half way" way of saying that, even the reasons I listed earlier, I would term as justifiable homicide under the law. Morally, it is to each person to answer to God or their own conscience.

i'm also prolife & i just don't trust mccain!!! he says he wants overturn roe v wade now but that's not what he said when he was trying to be moderate sucking up to democrats!

"In the short term, or even the long term, I would not support repeal Roe vs. Wade, which would then force X number of women in America to (undergo) illegal and dangerous operations."

Aug. 20, 1999

"We all know, and it's obvious, that if we repeal Roe v. Wade tomorrow, thousands of young American women would be performing illegal and dangerous operations."

CNN's Late Edition

he sounds like naral there!!!

One of the biggest misconceptions I get about me here is people call me a flaming liberal. Im really not, quite the opposite in fact, Im a libertarian. As a libertarian, I really don't see what makes McCain a conservative. People think he is a conservative because he is running under the republican ticket, but policy wise he really isn't one at all. If anything he is a neoconservative.

Someone tell me what policies of McCain are actually conservative. I'm not talking endorsed by the republican party, I'm talking actually conservative. I can't find many.

Immigration policy? Stupid. Hawkish foreign policy? Stupid. Economic plans? Stupid. Stance on gay marriage? Stupid. Energy policy? A small step in the right direction, mostly useless.

I don't even view being pro life as a conservative value. Its one thing to be anti abortion as a personal belief, but to get all this government control is just stupid. Abortion should be decided either at the state level or not at all. While others (and I) may feel its wrong, there is certainly a large debate about it and it doesn't seem conservative to me at all to take one side of a heated debate and start enforcing that view through the government. All this BS about "oh well anyone who doesn't support banning abortion isnt christian". Its a completely different issue when you talk about personal views about abortion and when you talk about the social repercussions of banning abortion.

One of the biggest misconceptions I get about me here is people call me a flaming liberal. Im really not, quite the opposite in fact, Im a libertarian. As a libertarian, I really don't see what makes McCain a conservative. People think he is a conservative because he is running under the republican ticket, but policy wise he really isn't one at all. If anything he is a neoconservative.

Someone tell me what policies of McCain are actually conservative. I'm not talking endorsed by the republican party, I'm talking actually conservative. I can't find many.

Immigration policy? Stupid. Hawkish foreign policy? Stupid. Economic plans? Stupid. Stance on gay marriage? Stupid. Energy policy? A small step in the right direction, mostly useless.

I don't even view being pro life as a conservative value. Its one thing to be anti abortion as a personal belief, but to get all this government control is just stupid. Abortion should be decided either at the state level or not at all. While others (and I) may feel its wrong, there is certainly a large debate about it and it doesn't seem conservative to me at all to take one side of a heated debate and start enforcing that view through the government. All this BS about "oh well anyone who doesn't support banning abortion isnt christian". Its a completely different issue when you talk about personal views about abortion and when you talk about the social repercussions of banning abortion.

Very good post, McCain does preach fiscal responsibility, which most certainly is Conservative, this is one of the many area's in which Bush proved himself to be anything but. We disagree on abortion, as I said I believe that life begins at conception, so it is not a matter of protecting a choice, but rather protecting a baby. Just as infanticide is illegal, if you believe that human life is present in the womb, I fail to see how anyone can see it any other way. I get the people who believe that a baby is not viable "or human" until the actual birth . I could not disagree more, but I get their point.

i'm also prolife & i just don't trust mccain!!! he says he wants overturn roe v wade now but that's not what he said when he was trying to be moderate sucking up to democrats!

"In the short term, or even the long term, I would not support repeal Roe vs. Wade, which would then force X number of women in America to (undergo) illegal and dangerous operations."

Aug. 20, 1999

"We all know, and it's obvious, that if we repeal Roe v. Wade tomorrow, thousands of young American women would be performing illegal and dangerous operations."

CNN's Late Edition

he sounds like naral there!!!

Agreed, just wait until he appoints Leiberman as his VP choice, who is pro-choice all the way.

The biggest problem I have with McCain is that he's a flip flopper and will do and say anything to get votes.

Yes, because the Supreme Court is willing to have massive rioting in this country. Abortion is split 50/50 in this counrty. They aren't dumb enough to hear it again.
Not only that, but there is a very legitimate right to privacy argument behind legalized abortion.

Abortion should be left up to the states, it should be a non-issue federally.

except for partial birth abortion bans!!! we need federal ban which we have thanks to republicans!!! leave abortion up to states except for partial birth abortion & that is clearly federal issue for congress to solve!!!

No, you can say that politics and religion don't mix......but politics did not create us and politics cannot save us.

We have a Savior and it's not politics.

That is the problem with liberals, they have put their faith in politicians, lawyers and judges....that is a recipe for misery and

exactly why so many of them are miserable.

Whatever you say about God and Govt.....we are going to have to answer to God for our turning away from his Word.

The nation will prosper or suffer in proportion to their following or turning away of the Word of God.

As a nation we have to answer to it.

He is simply to old. He will be as old as Regan was in Regan's second term. And Regan had already pretty much lost his mind by that time.

Sorry Mccain could be the greatest politician ever but he is to old, it's simply a matter of time before he passes on or becomes mentally unstable.I'd rather not have our president be a time bomb waiting to expire.

In this country you have to be 35 years or older to run for president they also need to put an age limit on that as well.

Huh? If it is their belief on a moral grounds that abortion is wrong..how are they NOT inserting their beliefs?

Wher is anything concerning abortion in the constitution? Me.. I think it's murder, but I can't prove that..it is my belief.

No, you can say that politics and religion don't mix......but politics did not create us and politics cannot save us.

We have a Savior and it's not politics.

That is the problem with liberals, they have put their faith in politicians, lawyers and judges....that is a recipe for misery and

exactly why so many of them are miserable.

Whatever you say about God and Govt.....we are going to have to answer to God for our turning away from his Word.

The nation will prosper or suffer in proportion to their following or turning away of the Word of God.

As a nation we have to answer to it.

You'll probably have to answer to God for all that name calling toward his children, but that is another thread.

Huh? If it is their belief on a moral grounds that abortion is wrong..how are they NOT inserting their beliefs?

Wher is anything concerning abortion in the constitution? Me.. I think it's murder, but I can't prove that..it is my belief.

It's a simple belief that the fetus, once conceived is a human life. It's a valid argument, but the problem with it is that it brings wiht it a whole ton of privacy issues.

It's been a hot-button issue for years for a reason. It's not a simple argument or a simple solution.

It's a simple belief that the fetus, once conceived is a human life. It's a valid argument, but the problem with it is that it brings wiht it a whole ton of privacy issues.

It's been a hot-button issue for years for a reason. It's not a simple argument or a simple solution.

Yes, but he said they would seek to overturn abortion by not inserting their beliefs. Souns exactly opposite is what I am saying.

It's a non issue because they will talk about it and DO nothing.