Not much talk about Sam Baker's "short arms" lately I noticed

Jedi-Falcon

I wonder why? :D

The dude holds his ground and does a good job. Left Tackle is one of the toughest positions for a rookie to come into the NFL and play right away. And so far Mr. Baker has held up pretty well against a myriad of DEs and pass-rush schemes. He really looks solid out there. Well worth moving up in the draft to grab him if you ask me. Looks like practicing against John Abraham has really paid off.

I still want the Falcons to sign his Dad and Brother to a 2 year contract. They are beasts.

It's just funny that for a month that's all the topics here were about. Now, for 2 weeks, those topics are nowhere to be found.

You never seen one from me ;) Because Longs and Williams arms were both about them same or a little shorter accrding to most reports i've seen. Clady's, Otahs, and cherilus were longer. Either way i don't care about a mans arm length thats the least of my worries when im watching someone play i go straight for the footwork and the leverage they play with and how smart they are when reacting to what the defender is doing. From the get go Jake Long, Chris Williams, and Sam Baker were my top 3 OT's and i still think the same way. I would have been happy taking Baker in the top 15 much less top 25 from what i've seen of him before the draft happened.

You never seen one from me ;) Because Longs and Williams arms were both about them same or a little shorter accrding to most reports i've seen. Clady's, Otahs, and cherilus were longer. Either way i don't care about a mans arm length thats the least of my worries when im watching someone play i go straight for the footwork and the leverage they play with and how smart they are when reacting to what the defender is doing. From the get go Jake Long, Chris Williams, and Sam Baker were my top 3 OT's and i still think the same way. I would have been happy taking Baker in the top 15 much less top 25 from what i've seen of him before the draft happened.

Chris Williams is out for the year and Jake long has looked like a beast on run plays but has looked very vulnerable against speed rushers on pass plays......Cherilus looks down right horrible(Matt Ryan looks even better in my eyes now....His best Tackle is getting beat by 4th string Camp bodys)

i was thinking the samething..... Sam Baker looks like the best LT in this year draft so far

My bro stevo a jags fan called it long before i did. He was raving about him 24/7 the 3rd year of bakers career saying he wanted the jags to get him for a OG/OT in the 1st round after his senior year. I always though Baker was a good pass blocker but he really is a great run blocker as well better than i thought he was.

Chris Williams is out for the year and Jake long has looked like a beast on run plays but has looked very vulnerable against speed rushers on pass plays......Cherilus looks down right horrible(Matt Ryan looks even better in my eyes now....His best Tackle is getting beat by 4th string Camp bodys)

Yah thats pretty much how i've seen it too. Although Williams might not have had that injury if he would have been in atlanta. Just wrong place wrong time for him in chicago. I still think he can be a great OT. Long i knew would be a monster in the run game i still think he is the best RT in the draft. Adequate LT Pro Bowl RT is what i was thinking when he came out.

My bro stevo a jags fan called it long before i did. He was raving about him 24/7 the 3rd year of bakers career saying he wanted the jags to get him for a OG/OT in the 1st round after his senior year. I always though Baker was a good pass blocker but he really is a great run blocker as well better than i thought he was.

I agree.... I dont want to jinx it but Sam Baker look like Joe Thomas out there........ I always knew Sam Baker was a good player(Baker played injured last year... thats why he was not as consistent).... I remember i had Sam Baker in my Mock draft and a guy on here grilled me because he felt Baker was a zone Blocker (Cause the"Experts"said it)........ If you've seen this guy play.... you could tell while healthy....Baker could be a good LT in the NFL

lol its because only idiots complained about it in the first place. unfortunately scientific data has shown that idiots only have a life expectancy of about 11 days. eventually they........

............change their message board names"

Indeed, those that overstated the arm length issue and claimed TD needed to get fired and McKay was still pulling the strings becuase Baker was a reach of epic proportion have turned their ignorance on J Anderson.

Those that insisted with passion that Roddy White was a "bust" all the way from his first camp up until a few games into his 3rd season now are claiming "we saw the promise is Roddy all along", yet have sinced changed their post names and are saying rthe exact same thing about J Anderson.

Just as I said with Roddy White, none of us know yet if Anderson is a bust, it is simply too early to make that detrmination. Those insisting it is not too early, just as they did with Roddy, will just change their posting names here if Anderson does start to show promise as Roddy started showing his SECOND SEASON (despite not even having a TD catch that year)

............change their message board names"

Indeed, those that overstated the arm length issue and claimed TD needed to get fired and McKay was still pulling the strings becuase Baker was a reach of epic proportion have turned their ignorance on J Anderson.

Those that insisted with passion that Roddy White was a "bust" all the way from his first camp up until a few games into his 3rd season now are claiming "we saw the promise is Roddy all along", yet have sinced changed their post names and are saying rthe exact same thing about J Anderson.

Just as I said with Roddy White, none of us know yet if Anderson is a bust, it is simply too early to make that detrmination. Those insisting it is not too early, just as they did with Roddy, will just change their posting names here if Anderson does start to show promise as Roddy started showing his SECOND SEASON (despite not even having a TD catch that year)

This post lacks intellectual honesty. You keep using the "look at Roddy!" defense for Anderson. This is like pointing out a Ford Festiva that runs for 500,000 miles. There may be cases of this occurring, but it is the exception, not the norm. Further, you're comparing different positions and different problems. IMO, Anderson has yet to show much of anything after a year in the league. That said, I'd say the people assuming that Anderson was a horrible pick are using more logic than the people saying he'll turn out to be worthy of a high first round pick. This especially true when the only real defense of Anderson, a DE, consists of "look at our wide receiver that defied the odds and turned into a player!"

Baker's first matchup vs Julius Peppers will be a time to break out the popcorn. Those could become epic battles ala Bruce Smith and Richmond Webb back in the day.

Peppers' athleticism is going force Baker to grow up quick. I suspect the Falcons RB's will have to often "chip" at Peppers on their way out to the flat or Mughelli may need to stay in to block Peppers' side alternately.

Baker has played well thus far and has exceeded my expectations for a rookie at LT. On another note, does anyknow know how the other OT's taken in the 1st round have held up?

i think long has done OK. other than that i havent heard much, which could be a good thing or a bad thing. i think one of them is hurt and is likely to miss the season and i believe cherilous hasnt done too well.

I wonder why? :D

The dude holds his ground and does a good job. Left Tackle is one of the toughest positions for a rookie to come into the NFL and play right away. And so far Mr. Baker has held up pretty well against a myriad of DEs and pass-rush schemes. He really looks solid out there. Well worth moving up in the draft to grab him if you ask me. Looks like practicing against John Abraham has really paid off.

I still want the Falcons to sign his Dad and Brother to a 2 year contract. They are beasts.

I like that word myriad, but your use of it is almost completely, well really completely, maybe even totally, entirely, absolutely, incorrect

The guy has played two pre season games, give me a break.............

The guy has played TWO PRE season games...........myriad.........lol........give me a break

Fans insist on judging players based on Pre season play, if thats the case, Matt Ryan is the second coming of Joey Harrington , we have no oline dline secondary or big play special teams players

Talk about the play when the W's and L's are genuine and not hyped up scrimmages

I feel like because of the physics of torque and everything, it'd be a good thing to have shorter arms, because off of the line it would take more force for a DL to push the OL...

:lol::lol: I like that. I'm a have to use that one. Sam Baker is doing a great job and he has shut up the whiners on this board. But I think our o-line coach is responsible also. There is nothing like good coaching to help a talented rookie squeeze out production on the field.