The Atlanta Falcons QB debate

This has been bothering me for awhile so I thought I'd give my view on this hot topic. This post could actually be a thesis of mine but I want to keep it as short and simple as possible.

My first thought is that this board, the state of Georgia, the Unites States, and the planet earth are all full of racist and/or sterotypical ideas. That's completely normal and to be expected. They exist in all facets of life. These thoughts and ideas generally take years, if not generations, to overcome.

I speak of this because the last 7 years of viewing this board have shown me that the black/white QB debate is all people want to talk about. That's really sad if you ask me. This would never happen in Montana, Utah, Nevada, etc.. The crap that is written here on these boards truly amazes me. We're all supposed to be Falcons fans and we're supposed to evaluate each player objectively. We are nowhere near that point in my opinion. If anything negative is spoken about Vick or Shockley, the term "hater" or "racist" is most likely used, Vice versa and you're called a "homer." Why can't a person living in New Mexico who started watching the Falcons because of Vick call Harrington a loser or Shockley a college QB not ready for the pros without someone getting their panties in a wad? I ask this because I spent half a year there doing a job and I met people like this.

The answer comes down to skin color. The black QB has thus far carried the stigma of being the 'mobile' QB. That shouldn't be a shocker to anyone. They clearly have been the most mobile. The problem is, one of the 'mobile' QBs has yet to win the big game. It's no different from a 350 lb. running back carrying the load for the team. Until it is done, people won't believe it. I, as much as anyone, loved to watch Vick play and was amazed at the things he could do which I had never seen before. But yet, I never truly believed he could win it all because it had never been done before. Here's where the point of this post is made.

I believe that the Vick fans here were so enamored with his playing style that the syle of QB play is all they are concerned with any more. Shockley has maybe a tenth of the talent that Vick had entering this league and yet you have the same posters supporting each guy. If David Greene was on our roster rather than DJ Shockley, no one would care because he isn't 'highlight film' material.

Any sensible fan knows that Matt Ryan was hired to lead this franchise and everyone else will be lucky to hold a clipboard. Any discussions about Redman, Vick, Joey, or DJ are a waste of time. If any of them see the field in the future it will only be as a stopgap.

As fans, we shoud come together as one and end this mindless debate. We are supposed to be Falcon fans, not QB #xxx fans.

disagree with the end, but agree with the rest, but still why do you have my boy's post in your sig, and took out mine?? people did react like you wanted against me, so you took it out.

I've garnered a little respect for you over time as I hope you have for me. I only wanted to make you aware that you shouldn't make such derogatory comments about something you know nothing about. Bartkowski was the best QB this franchise has ever had, and it's not even close. The other guy in my sig is truly an idiot and deserves no respect. Until he proves otherwise, he will stay in my sig.

I've garnered a little respect for you over time as I hope you have for me. I only wanted to make you aware that you shouldn't make such derogatory comments about something you know nothing about. Bartkowski was the best QB this franchise has ever had, and it's not even close. The other guy in my sig is truly an idiot and deserves no respect. Until he proves otherwise, he will stay in my sig.

I agree you are growing on me, like i am growing on you, but it still back fired. :lol: . im invincible im just playing, but i know he was the best for this franchise, but honestly if he was at another team throwing up them numbers, then he would have been that great. you have to remember i am young, and i have never seen him or known the falcons in that era, so i have to go by states. Buckeyes is a good guy, but a hardcore DJ guy.

To be honest, I think part of the Shockley debate has its beginnings in all the discussions that went on about Vick. Many people feel Vick was unfairly judged by some on this board, believe there is a "double standard" at work when others players aren't judged as harshly (in their opinion) and simply will not let views expressed during the Vick-era die. I can't really judge how many, but I do know some feel this double standard is based in racism.

I believe this is why what appears to be such innocuous posts can sometimes generate such a heated reaction. Apart from the people who post in a manner they know will rile a particular poster(s), you sometimes see these "back handed" type posts that harken back to the time of Vick for those who were around at that time. Sometimes I see threads and wonder if the whole thing isn't double-speak - it appears we're discussing one thing when, in reality, we're discussing Vick.

Which brings us to the current situation with Shockley. I have no problem with people supporting DJ - but I've seen posters wish other players get hurt, deride other players who have just put points on the board for this team, tell other posters to go "kill themselves" because they disagreed with their opinion on this topic, call other posters liars, racists, etc., because of differing views, address other people in a manner that, I hope, they would never do in person, etc. - and it is these posters, and the people who feel they must argue with them at every turn, that have polarized this situation.