Atlanta Motor Speedway to get a Night Race next year!

Uga_dog1

From YAHOO SPORTS

Racing source says night race planned for Atlanta

By CHARLES ODUM, AP Sports Writer 39 minutes ago

ATLANTA (AP)—NASCAR will run under the lights at Atlanta Motor Speedway in 2009, The Associated Press has learned.

There’s more: The new night race is expected to be run on Labor Day weekend.

Atlanta Motor Speedway and NASCAR officials are planning to announce a schedule change Tuesday that will include the night race announcement, said a racing official who spoke on condition of anonymity because details of the change had not been made public.

Atlanta’s place on the racing calendar also could move. There has been speculation Atlanta Motor Speedway will be part of a three-way trade of race dates for next year’s Sprint Cup schedule that also involves the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif., and Talladega Superspeedway.

Atlanta would receive the 2009 Labor Day weekend race that’s happening this season in California. Fontana would receive Talladega’s fall race, while Talladega would receive Atlanta’s fall race, set for late October this year.

Fontana has struggled with overwhelming heat at its race on Labor Day weekend. The change would give the California track a spot in the 10-race Chase for the Sprint Cup championship.

Meanwhile, there also is speculation the Iowa Speedway will gain a spot in the Nationwide Series schedule and the Chicagoland Speedway will add a Craftsman Truck Series date.

Yay! More left turns! But under floodlights! woo!

Seriously, F1 is better.

Now that the customary NASCAR bashing post is out of the way, back on topic. <_< How's F1's Jaun Pablo Montoya doing in NASCAR by the way?

This is a good move being that it rains almost every year at CA on the date that they had, also with Atlanta's attendance slumping for the past few years due to its 1st race being ran on a lousey date. A night race in Atlanta would be worth the 6 hour drive for me.

F1? Please. Let's watch one guy lead the entire race. What fun is there in that? NASCAR also has cars that do not have an advantage over the others, they're all built on the same basic template, with the wrap being changed to reflect the "manufacturer". NASCAR also runs on leaded fuel, F1 doesn't. F1 cars are too dependent upon their aerodynamics, a small bump or "crash" and they're done. There is no wheel to wheel racing, if there is, it results in F1 parts scattered across the track. NASCAR fans can also get out and meet their favorite driver, there are 36 races a year across the nation that you can attend. F1 also has a much larger budget than a NASCAR team. There is a template that all NASCAR cars much follow so none have an aerodynamic edge over the others. The series in NASCAR is much more competitive as well. There are more passes, most of the time, in one sometimes two races in NASCAR than there will be in an entire F1 season.

And the pitstops?

NASCAR:

7 men (1 for the jack, 1 per gun and one to assist him with the wheel, 1 for gas and 1 for both the catch can and wedge wrench)

20 lugnuts

4 tires

2 guns

1 jack

2 cans of gas(gravity flow)

12.8 seconds

F1:

13 men(1 for the sign, 2 for the gas, 2 at each wheel, 1 per jack)

4 wheel nuts

4 tires

4 guns

2 jacks

2 gas cans(pressurized mind you, with a pressure nozzle)

11 seconds

Tell me how twice as many men, with 1/5th the lugs, pressurized gas delivery, twice as many jacks, and 4 tires being changed at once are only 1.5 seconds better on average?

NASCAR kills F1 in every aspect. It's more exciting to watch, more fan friendly, the crews play more of a role, there is no edge from car to car, the cars are equal, the racing is closer, the wrecks will happen and cars will bump and bounce off of each other. Explain to me how F1 is better? In any aspect? The drivers are ********, they don't care about their fans, it requires less skill, you never move positions from start to finish for christ's sakes. You crap the bed in qualifying, then you're done for the weekend pretty much. What's better? There is zero excitement in it, just watching the same guy stay in the same spot and torch the field. I couldn't even get drunk and enjoy that.

I've got more if you want it.

F1 stop takes 11 seconds? Shows how much you know about it, the average stop is around 7 seconds.

The driver are ******? How so? You try going into a corner at 150+ mph in the wet while you cannot see the front of your car.

Another thing, if NASCAR is so good, why doesn't it have a global fanbase like F1 does? Most of it's fans are in the south of the USA

F1 cars are faster (They can accelerate to 100mph then brake back down to 0 in 5 seconds). The reason they have so many Aerodynamic parts is because it would be near impossible to control them without them.

And also in F1, they don't put out a caution, or even stop the race, when it rains. The monaco GP was raining, and is on a street track, they didn't stop that, just put on a new set of tyres.

im in new jersey and i assure you there are tons of nascar fans, including myself. Racing is meant to be one way, fast. and you dont get faster than nascar. And i hate all the stupid talk about "turning left". road racing is some of the most boring racing i have ever seen in my life. nascar has 2 road races and i think even they should be eliminated because of how BORING those races are.

F1 stop takes 11 seconds? Shows how much you know about it, the average stop is around 7 seconds.

The driver are ******? How so? You try going into a corner at 150+ mph in the wet while you cannot see the front of your car.

Another thing, if NASCAR is so good, why doesn't it have a global fanbase like F1 does? Most of it's fans are in the south of the USA

F1 cars are faster (They can accelerate to 100mph then brake back down to 0 in 5 seconds). The reason they have so many Aerodynamic parts is because it would be near impossible to control them without them.

And also in F1, they don't put out a caution, or even stop the race, when it rains. The monaco GP was raining, and is on a street track, they didn't stop that, just put on a new set of tyres.

LOL, learn to spell, just because everyone else on that island spells it like that, does not make it correct. The same goes for colour and various other words that we deem misspelled. :angry:

j/k.

im in new jersey and i assure you there are tons of nascar fans, including myself. Racing is meant to be one way, fast. and you dont get faster than nascar. And i hate all the stupid talk about "turning left". road racing is some of the most boring racing i have ever seen in my life. nascar has 2 road races and i think even they should be eliminated because of how BORING those races are.

Nascar races go on for hours, it isn't fast. Then there are tracks such as Bristol where you don't get going fast at all.

Nascar races go on for hours, it isn't fast. Then there are tracks suck as Bristol where you don't get going fast at all.

it adds to the excitement. i love the track variations. you dont go extremely fast at Bristol but you get a new level of excitement when guys are being lapped within 5 laps of a restart and with neck to neck side by side racing. theres so many different strategies in nascar that make it awesome, all teams pretty much have a standard set of what the car is built like, so its all about who nails the setup and who doesnt make the critical mistakes on the track. how can you not love that

it adds to the excitement. i love the track variations. you dont go extremely fast at Bristol but you get a new level of excitement when guys are being lapped within 5 laps of a restart and with neck to neck side by side racing. theres so many different strategies in nascar that make it awesome, all teams pretty much have a standard set of what the car is built like, so its all about who nails the setup and who doesnt make the critical mistakes on the track. how can you not love that

There is lots of strategy in F1 as well, what tyres to use, and when to use them, how much fuel, how many stops, when to pitstop.

There is more variation in F1 tracks.

There is more variety there, not just 2/3/4 left hand turns of varying length/angle/banking.

that might be how you see it but to me road racing is just straightaways and turns in the same way as all other racing, except on roads its slower, and you cant make passes as much. the end result is a race thats not NEARLY as exciting

Like if F1 if you like, thats fine but don't bash NASCAR because its a totally different racing experience than what you like. Thats like saying drag racing is inferior since they just race for 9 seconds down a straight strip. Each envolves different track and racing elements and skills. If you think it's as simple as turning left you are mistaken.

As for Bristol, that place rocks but I like Martinsville just a tad bit better. Martinsville eats rookies and spits them out.

Does anyone care to actually stick to the topic? I think this move is great for Atlanta and California, but probably bad for Talladega. The fall Atlanta race almost always took place during the weekend of the Georgia-Florida game, so they were in a bad situation. Also, it was a mistake to take the Labor Day weekend race away from Darlington and give it to California. It turned out not to be lucrative for them and NASCAR is finally admitting its mistake. Logistics-wise it's a good decision, because the race prior to the new Atlanta race is Bristol.

California needs a new spring date, too. The spring race takes place the same night as the Grammys. Maybe NASCAR can work out a swap and get California out of that date.

Does anyone care to actually stick to the topic? I think this move is great for Atlanta and California, but probably bad for Talladega. The fall Atlanta race almost always took place during the weekend of the Georgia-Florida game, so they were in a bad situation. Also, it was a mistake to take the Labor Day weekend race away from Darlington and give it to California. It turned out not to be lucrative for them and NASCAR is finally admitting its mistake. Logistics-wise it's a good decision, because the race prior to the new Atlanta race is Bristol.

California needs a new spring date, too. The spring race takes place the same night as the Grammys. Maybe NASCAR can work out a swap and get California out of that date.

thanks for staying on topic. I for one am excited. I've been going to AMS since 1993 and I'm looking forward to a night race at the fastest track on the circuit. I hope it helps to boost attendance. Cant wait! :D

Nascar is actually a really tough and dangerous sport, people that happens to bash it just don't understand the skills it take, they just think "oh they just take a left turn, what kind of skill is that?"

I would love to see them, get in the race car and go around 100+ laps in 90+ degree's and also going 180+ without wrecking.

Nascar is actually a really tough and dangerous sport, people that happens to bash it just don't understand the skills it take, they just think "oh they just take a left turn, what kind of skill is that?"

I would love to see them, get in the race car and go around 100+ laps in 90+ degree's and also going 180+ without wrecking.

I know that there is skill involved (although less than F1, IMO. Rally takes the most), I just find it really boring. I have seen hour long highlights of quite a few races, and even then it bored me.

There isn't much on at 2 in the morning :lol: