Thoughts on the Colts game

direwolf

Just a few thoughts:

-- Quarterbacks:

1) Harrington scares me to death. He had a great pocket, plenty of time, we actually saw him standing there going through his reads, and then he throws it... INTO QUADRUPLE COVERAGE! I actually screamed out, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?!" from my seat at the Dome.

2) Ryan continued to look pretty good to me, but also like a rookie. I expected that. The interception seemed to me to be, more than anything, a case of a rookie QB not expecting a DB to break on the ball that fast. The ball got there late; Finneran was standing still with his arms out. Ryan needs to either throw harder (he threw a touch pass rather than a dart) or throw earlier (before Finn makes his break or at least during it rather than after Finn was out of his break). That's a mistake I'm actually glad he made because that's something he can definitely learn from and not make the same mistake next time. Once again, I was pleased with his reads and awareness of the pocket; he almost got away on that sack and showed great awareness on that throwaway. Still plenty to learn, but I'm more and more comfortable with him.

3) Redman looked like a quality backup. Surprise surprise. That INT wasn't his fault; that pass should have been caught.

4) Shockley was terrible. Just terrible. Good lord. Apparently he thought that Robinson's hands were on his shins and aimed accordingly.

-- The o-line did pretty well, but we need to get stronger push in the red zone. I know it's harder there, but that's where you win games and so no excuses can be tolerated. We have to convert 3rd and 1 when we've got 500 pounds of running back hitting the line. Overall I was pretty pleased with the pass protection. Breakdowns are going to happen - just ask the Patriots. We just need to minimize them. I do think that Dahl is the real deal and Clabo may be the answer for us at RT once Weiner's gone (which may be sooner rather than later if Clabo keeps developing as he has).

-- Turner and Norwood could be VERY productive for us if we can get even adequate QB play to keep defenses honest. Turner's big runs were awesome to behold. Right now I'd say that Thomas Brown is winning the 3rd HB battle. I'd like to see him try a punt return as well as kick returns, too.

--Tony Taylor does NOT want to give up that starting Mike job. Good for him; the competition will make both he and Lofton better.

--Grimes is looking pretty solid, but I have to say that I really wish he'd convert those INT opportunities. He's dropped three in two games so far.

--Milloy can still bring the pain. He levelled some guy on one play and got the whole crowd jacked. Great to see!

--I'd like to see better run defense from the line, but I was VERY pleased at holding the Colts to a FG after the muffed punt.

--Speaking of the muffed punt, I'd love to chat with Jennings and ask him what made him decide to experiment with catching with his face. Jesus! I'd say he's probably toast, which makes room for Finneran since we know Horn isn't planning on being a Falcon this year.

--Pleased with Elam. Looked a lot better.

--Jamaal Anderson needs work. Plain and simple. If this continues into the regular season, the dreaded "B" word might start showing up in my head.

--I said it last week, but I'll say it again because it's still true. Whether we win or not, teams will KNOW they've played us. Our boys are really getting after people!

-- You know, I (along with most everyone else) questioned our draft strategy and once again I see evidence that makes me realize why I watch the draft from my couch. We got players who WANT to play and WANT to hit. We got guys who will lay it all out there. This is critical for us because it's going to be a tough road. But after watching those guys flying around, I'm confident that we're building a team of tough competitors who will hang together and bring it every week. Nice to see in light of the monumental collapses we saw under Mora and Petrino. I don't see these guys curling up like armadillos in traffic the way Mora's team did against Carolina at the end of the season that time.

Direwolf

Thats a good sum up. Our redzone offense needs some work! .1) Harrington scares me to death. He had a great pocket, plenty of time, we actually saw him standing there going through his reads, and then he throws it... INTO QUADRUPLE COVERAGE! I actually screamed out, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?!" from my seat at the Dome.

It sounded like the whole dome all at once said the same thing at the same time when he threw the balll!! My section we just booed.

Just a few thoughts:

-- Quarterbacks:

1) Harrington scares me to death. He had a great pocket, plenty of time, we actually saw him standing there going through his reads, and then he throws it... INTO QUADRUPLE COVERAGE! I actually screamed out, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?!" from my seat at the Dome.

2) Ryan continued to look pretty good to me, but also like a rookie. I expected that. The interception seemed to me to be, more than anything, a case of a rookie QB not expecting a DB to break on the ball that fast. The ball got there late; Finneran was standing still with his arms out. Ryan needs to either throw harder (he threw a touch pass rather than a dart) or throw earlier (before Finn makes his break or at least during it rather than after Finn was out of his break). That's a mistake I'm actually glad he made because that's something he can definitely learn from and not make the same mistake next time. Once again, I was pleased with his reads and awareness of the pocket; he almost got away on that sack and showed great awareness on that throwaway. Still plenty to learn, but I'm more and more comfortable with him.

3) Redman looked like a quality backup. Surprise surprise. That INT wasn't his fault; that pass should have been caught.

4) Shockley was terrible. Just terrible. Good lord. Apparently he thought that Robinson's hands were on his shins and aimed accordingly.

-- The o-line did pretty well, but we need to get stronger push in the red zone. I know it's harder there, but that's where you win games and so no excuses can be tolerated. We have to convert 3rd and 1 when we've got 500 pounds of running back hitting the line. Overall I was pretty pleased with the pass protection. Breakdowns are going to happen - just ask the Patriots. We just need to minimize them. I do think that Dahl is the real deal and Clabo may be the answer for us at RT once Weiner's gone (which may be sooner rather than later if Clabo keeps developing as he has).

-- Turner and Norwood could be VERY productive for us if we can get even adequate QB play to keep defenses honest. Turner's big runs were awesome to behold. Right now I'd say that Thomas Brown is winning the 3rd HB battle. I'd like to see him try a punt return as well as kick returns, too.

--Tony Taylor does NOT want to give up that starting Mike job. Good for him; the competition will make both he and Lofton better.

--Grimes is looking pretty solid, but I have to say that I really wish he'd convert those INT opportunities. He's dropped three in two games so far.

--Milloy can still bring the pain. He levelled some guy on one play and got the whole crowd jacked. Great to see!

--I'd like to see better run defense from the line, but I was VERY pleased at holding the Colts to a FG after the muffed punt.

--Speaking of the muffed punt, I'd love to chat with Jennings and ask him what made him decide to experiment with catching with his face. Jesus! I'd say he's probably toast, which makes room for Finneran since we know Horn isn't planning on being a Falcon this year.

--Pleased with Elam. Looked a lot better.

--Jamaal Anderson needs work. Plain and simple. If this continues into the regular season, the dreaded "B" word might start showing up in my head.

--I said it last week, but I'll say it again because it's still true. Whether we win or not, teams will KNOW they've played us. Our boys are really getting after people!

-- You know, I (along with most everyone else) questioned our draft strategy and once again I see evidence that makes me realize why I watch the draft from my couch. We got players who WANT to play and WANT to hit. We got guys who will lay it all out there. This is critical for us because it's going to be a tough road. But after watching those guys flying around, I'm confident that we're building a team of tough competitors who will hang together and bring it every week. Nice to see in light of the monumental collapses we saw under Mora and Petrino. I don't see these guys curling up like armadillos in traffic the way Mora's team did against Carolina at the end of the season that time.

Direwolf

I guess you don't feel the same about DJ's int. Eventhough it was the same exact result as Redmans?

I guess you don't feel the same about DJ's int. Eventhough it was the same exact result as Redmans?

I don't recall mentioning it, but since you asked, I feel exactly the same about DJ's interception; those passes should be caught. I also feel that his accuracy was as poor as I'd ever seen it.

Direwolf

I agree with 100%.

Is it just me or are we hitting a lot harder this year?

I swear I saw more good tackles Saturday night than all of last year.

There definitely seems to be a bit more fire in the team so far this year. I think that, after last year's debacle and with all the questions aroung the league about them, they probably want to prove that they can play. Add in that we've got a notoriously fired-up defensive coordinator and a former DC for a head coach and it makes sense that they'd be wanting to bring it.

Direwolf

Nice write up. Completely agree with your last statement.

Almost all of us jumped out of our seats screaming profanities when Dorsey was skipped and when we took Harry D. out of Louisville most of us scratched our heads.

TD and our Front Office are going in the right direction.

Our coaches: Coach. Our players: WANT to play. (and play HARD for that matter.)

Our team looks positive and there is only one direction to go from here.

Back to back winning seasons are coming to the Dome soon.

DJs poor play this preseason goes well beyond that INT.

He has not touch, minimal accuracy and questionable decision making. 2 turnovers w the game on the line in 2 weeks doesnt help either.

I really hoped he would make it as our 3rd QB (for future trade potential if nothing else) but I dont see any cahnce of him making it unless one of the other 3 QBs goes on IR....and even then I dont know.

DJs poor play this preseason goes well beyond that INT.

He has not touch, minimal accuracy and questionable decision making. 2 turnovers w the game on the line in 2 weeks doesnt help either.

I really hoped he would make it as our 3rd QB (for future trade potential if nothing else) but I dont see any cahnce of him making it unless one of the other 3 QBs goes on IR....and even then I dont know.

-_-

Good write up Dire.

It is easy to see that Ryan is becoming the best QB on the roster. Shockley is actualy regressing - he is done.

Jennings - I have 2 words for you - Buh Bye.

I hate to give up on Anderson, but it is looking bad. What makes me mad the most is that I bought his jersey last year thinking I was safe. Now I have get a new jersey since my Duckett and D-Lo shirts don't work anymore. :(

Thanks for the thoughts. I hope everyone get the "building a team" concept, because that's what is going on here. We're not going to be very good this year, but we are going to surprise some teams and as you said, they will know they played us. This is a different type of football player that TD is bringing in and whereas most Falcon fans have become used to all style and no substance this will take some getting use to for the casual fan. Mr Blank used the Colts as an example of the model they are going to follow as far as building through the draft and resigning your key players. We are not going to be in the playoffs this year, but I have never been more excited for this franchise.

Nice summary Direwolf.

I think Redman might start the 1st few games and if it doesnt work out, Ryan will be getting the nod. When I watch Harrington, it seems that he doesnt like the routes the wr are running or he just doesnt seem to understand the defense coverage. I know we been beating this to a dead horse. I would like to see Ryan play for at least 2 qtr in the next preseason game. He is our future qb and needs to get the snaps.

t is easy to see that Ryan is becoming the best QB on the roster. Shockley is actualy regressing - he is done.

I agree. You can see it in Ryans eyes he is only gonna get better and looks like he is ready to play. DJ is not looking good at all in preseason when he needed to be shining. I dont see him staying. We will have growing pains with Ryan and i doubt they wanna invest in DJ and face growing pains with him as well.

I really like snelling and get excited when i see him come in.

Grimes is also on fire!!!! he is looking very solid.

jenkins looked pretty good.

I was also happy to see the bigman moving. Grady was on fire!!!!! He was in on plays, Im glad we brought him back.

Good to see milloy is teaching and leading by example. This will only make our young guys more physical and better.

Turnovers and penalties are killing us. But this team is already looking better than last years and playing with more heart and determination. I like how we are making tackles. Big issue in the past couple years is people would miss the first tackle.

Hard to argue our running game is looking good. Could be our most skilled spot on the field with depth as well.

How did Baker do? I didn't hear anything about how he did in the Colts game.

Baker was on point again. He played very well. He is truly playing in the form that he played with as a Jr. Back when he was considered better than every OT in the nation not named Joe Thomas. :D

He had a couple standout plays to me. ....In the redzone on a third short he blew his guy off the line 5 yards. Unfortunately Turner didn' get the first , but Baker did his part and then the other play that stood out was good pass protection. They highlighted it on TV. I think he is going to be good player, but not a great one.